Parsley is fine in pregnancy

Bfp!!! Little bug due 25/6/12

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I think the garlic alone would ward off nasties
    You made me laugh three times in this thread

And I've come away from this thread with 'green eggs and ham' running through my head...

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Quote Originally Posted by bubblebubble View Post
    I don't really care what the statistics are. I just wouldn't risk it.
    If you can't sacrifice ham, cheese and eggs for 9 months for the safety of your baby then your pretty selfish and shouldn't be having a baby anyways in my opinion.
    There are about 60 reported cases of listeria in Australia per year. Of those, about 22% (ie 18 of them) end in an 'adverse event' (ie death of the person, or death of the fetus they are carrying). Not all of the people who contract it are pregnant, and not all of the pregnant women who contract it lose their babies (although it is proportionally quite a high number who do).

Compare that to the 1500 or so MVA deaths per year in Aus? Tell me...do you drive? Or travel in a car with somebody else ever? Do you think that all the women who *do* engage in MV travel think their babies are expendable, and don't deserve to have them? Or do you think they're taking a calculated risk?

Because honestly, getting all hot under the collar about 18 deaths per, what's Australia's population now? 22 million or something? is...well, there's a reason it's called listeria hysteria.

If you want to avoid cheese, ham, sashimi etc - go right ahead. But judge other women for THEIR calculated risks and tell them they're not worthy parents? You've gone a step too far there. For the record, Australian cheeses are made with pasteurised milk (not that that completely nullifies the risk - there have been cases of listeria poisoning from cheese in Australia) but it significantly reduces it.

Honestly, a lot of this is cultural. French women eat UNpasteurised cheese throughout their pregnancies. Japanese women eat raw fish and egg yolks. Italian women drink alcohol daily. Are they all unfit mothers too? All collective 38 million of them? Come on, seriously?

And for the record, listeria IS killed by heat - and relatively low heat at that. cook something for 2 minutes at 70 odd degrees, and almost ANYTHING will die. A toasted ham sandwich when the ham and cheese is piping hot is perfectly listeria-dead, if it even had it in the first place.

For the record: I'm not advocating eating listeria-risky food when pregnant - but I am advocating for knowing the facts and making an informed decision - and not jumping up and down and crying "Unfit parent" to those who make different informed decisions.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

andi84  (20-12-2011),Autumnlove  (20-12-2011),Bambaloo  (20-12-2011),Country mama  (22-12-2011),delirium  (20-12-2011),Giggle&Hoot  (20-12-2011),GrabbyCrabby  (20-12-2011),hoping28  (23-12-2011),Jay87  (20-12-2011),kw123  (20-12-2011),LoveLivesHere  (20-12-2011),Von Zipper  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

just thought I'd pop in and let you all know that coles/woolies sell non-alcoholic imitation brandy essence. It's kept next to the food colourings.
    I usually mix a couple of tablespoons of it with Orange juice and it still has the zing without the booze. I've never had anyone notice a difference, in fact most are surprised when I tell them its not the real deal.

So, enjoy your trifle!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

Country mama  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks Tam that's way better than what I could put together, so I'll just go with a good old 'what she said'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mamac I will have to have a look. Hope my local one stocks it.

Guest Guest
    If you've cooked all the food yourself and then store it properly I don't see why it would be a risk. Listeria dies in heat so baking ham would do that, if your scared to eat it cold the next day just reheat. Salads are fine too, I never ate salad from anywhere but ofcourse I'd eat home made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Salads are fine too, I never ate salad from anywhere but ofcourse I'd eat home made.
    Same. I'm not a ham eater full stop, but I'm super anal about hygiene with food even not pg. So I eat salad, egg etc that I make without a second even when pg. As tam said, it's about calculated risk. Obviously I wouldn't eat an egg salad that's been sitting in the sun 5 hours. But again, I wouldn't eat that egg salad not pg.

Common sense should prevail here...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always avoid salad when eating out. Homemade I have no hestitation eating.

Im still really looking forward to my Christmas ham and prawns. Im so obsessed with food atm.

I think as others have said that common sense really is the key. Even foods which are not high risk can be dangerous if they have been sitting around. A bout of food poisioning cant be healthy during pregnancy! Hubby and I got sick earlier in the year from eating shop bought fish and chips...not pleasant and I wasnt pregnant then thank goodness.

I try to be really good, and generally I am behaved with my food choices but sometimes make the odd slip without realising. Im making a few exceptions over christmas. I trust that my mum isnt going to poison me or her grandchild and she will be extra cautious. She has training in food hygiene so I think thats a safe calculated risk. I will give the prawns a miss tho as she buys them pre-cooked... I will cook my own at home on boxing day.

Im still trying to decide on what my dessert contribution to the christmas lunch is going to be. So far trying to decide between homemade icecream cake, trifle or homemade cheesecake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I vote trifle, I just love it and it's a once a year treat for me!!!