ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From memory kw123 , there are about 60 cases reported each year. Fairly low odds of getting it, less that being killed in a car accident!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumnlove View Post
    I'll probably be eating most things, I may just give my lunch a quick zap in the microwave if I find myself worrying on the day. It's hard at family Christmas when you don't know who's cooked what and how long before it was cooked, don't think there is a nice way to ask? haha.

With Listeria, if you get this when you're not pregnant does it make you sick? Just wondering if I'v ever come into contact with it before, I'v only had food poisoning once and that was overseas. I feel pretty safe to think if I havn't contracted it in my 20 odd years of eating I shouldn't get it from one day of Christmas lunch, keeping common sence and hygiene in mind .
    I think if you are worried about the possibility of listeria in your Christmas lunch that microwaving would make it worse not better (think heating up bacteria not killing it). Also if you are aware of the kitchen in which the food was prepared and you know the preparer uses safe and clean practices you have very little chance of contracting listeria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hunnybun1 View Post
    I thought prawns only can be eaten if it's hot I don't think you can have it cold and I also don't think cold ham either. Check out this website by nsw govt re pregnancy food:

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/...egnancy-table/
    Thanks for this link. This is an awesome resource. We will be having roast for Christmas lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle&Hoot View Post
    Michelle - what recipe did you follow? Chocolate cheesecake sounds divine!
    Ive just got cream cheese, condensed milk, melted choc, thickened cream & gelatin to set, on a bed of crushed oreos (its only 8am, is it too early to start it now?) Pm me your email address and i can send the full recipe if you like

Oh and I add in chopped glace cherries. I tell dh cherries are fruit and fruit is healthy, thus offsetting the bad..........he doesn't buy it *shrugs shoulders*

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I think if you are worried about the possibility of listeria in your Christmas lunch that microwaving would make it worse not better (think heating up bacteria not killing it). Also if you are aware of the kitchen in which the food was prepared and you know the preparer uses safe and clean practices you have very little chance of contracting listeria.
    Ahh ok, thanks. So Listeria isn't something you can kill by heating up food really hot?

Thanks again for starting this thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumnlove View Post
    Ahh ok, thanks. So Listeria isn't something you can kill by heating up food really hot?

Thanks again for starting this thread.
    It can as long as you heat it to steaming hot

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why risk eating something that may give you listeria (no matter how small the risk)? If you lost your baby, could you justify it? Sorry bub, but I really wanted to eat that...

In saying that I know people go overboard and everyone seems to be getting told different things to avoid and our Mums didn't avoid it etc. I just try to be cautious without being paranoid.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xpectant For This Useful Post:

Country mama  (22-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I try to be cautious without being paranoid too. But recently it was in the news there was a listeria outbreak in America from the skin of in cantaloupes.... No joke... Cantaloupes.

So generally I try to avoid food that's prepared in an unhygienic way or that I'm unsure of, anything smells weird even if it's in date etc.

DF mentioned he shut the fridge door properly around 2am the other night, he said it was only open a crack etc but I threw out the meat.

But I don't wipe off whole food groups I try to eat healthy & balanced diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBeee View Post
    From memory kw123 , there are about 60 cases reported each year. Fairly low odds of getting it, less that being killed in a car accident!!
    on average 60 reported cases for the population per year and less than 10 cases are usually pregnant women, with I think the yearly birth rate is around 250,000 births...

MUCH more likely to be hit by a car (particularly in my suburb )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Though - speaking of trifle (back a page) earlier this year grandma made a trifle for a family gathering, she served it to the grand kids, do i had a taste and it didn't taste that 'zingy' then served some to jasper. She didn't say anything till like 10 minutes later goes 'this trifle isn't great, I put HEAPS of brandy in it and you can't even taste it' WTF?!? Snatched Jasper's bowl off him! FFS! Let me know before I feed my 2 year old booze thanks! It didn't even cross my mind there would be alcohol in it when it's being served to kids.

But as I said - my grandma has NO clue. Gonna be fun trying to specifically avoid eating anything she'd made, without her noticing, without offending her... I may just fein stomach pains and sneak off to eat toast.

(I lie... I'll just pig out on chocolate or something )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast