ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Most people don't get any symptoms when contracting listeria so could have had it and not ever known but it is harmful to unborn babies as it is one of the few bacterias that passes through to bubs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for the info Angi84, too bad my plan won't work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just on the cheesecake thing. I thought that baked was fine too but the lady in the cheesecake shop the other day basically told me not to risk eating it. She said it had been cooked the day before and if she was me she wouldnt eat it. Do you think her concern was more because it had been cooked more than 12 hours prior or because of the ingrediants. I thought cream cheese was ok as long as it is fresh and hasnt been sitting around. I ended up buying myself half a mudcake and half a marble cheesecake for everyone else. I was so jealous watching everyone enjoy the cheesecake. The mudcake was no where near as nice as I imagine the cheesecake probably was!

Also - has anyone ever tasted alcohol free trifle? Is it worth making a no alcohol version? I dont feel comfortable making/eating one with alcohol as i'm super paranoid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheesecake is fine, I've cooked my own.. It's only cream cheese (processed and safe to eat) sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice. I've never added any eggs and it's quite safe. This is the one I've made. Yes it's unbaked but it's made cold with safe to eat ingredients.

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/20...ke-recipe.html

I've also had lemon meringue pie. The risk with uncooked egg whites is its bad for everyone since you can get food poisoning from raw eggs. The eggs needs to be literately clear and runny to possibly get sick(words from my GP!). If you want to be safe you can buy eggless meringue powder.

Also for mousse you can make eggless chocolate mousse that is divine.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/...olate-mousse-4

There are heaps of yummy alternatives!! Happy eating

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yum! Thanks Jay87

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm Im glad cheesecake is fine. I've just finished making mine for family dinner tomorrow. There is no way I'm letting everyone enjoy that delicious lump of chocolate without me!

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Michelle - what recipe did you follow? Chocolate cheesecake sounds divine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Giggle&Hoot, I had an alcohol free trifle while pregnant. I still enjoyed it, but trifle is one of my favourite foods. Without the alcohol it doesn't have the same zing (for want of a better word cause it's 3am). IMO the importance of the sherry (or whatever alcohol you choose) is it adds flavour rather than the actual alcohol content . Maybe try your local bottle shop or supermarket and see if there is an alcohol free alternative.

Also, taste.com.au has a recipe for a yummy chic cheesecake
    Last edited by smallpotatoes; 18-12-2011 at 03:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks bubble I was going to go to Dan murphies to see if I can find some dealcoholised wine so I will see what I can find. I love trifle too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumnlove View Post
    With Listeria, if you get this when you're not pregnant does it make you sick? Just wondering if I'v ever come into contact with it before, I'v only had food poisoning once and that was overseas. I feel pretty safe to think if I havn't contracted it in my 20 odd years of eating I shouldn't get it from one day of Christmas lunch, keeping common sence and hygiene in mind .
    This!! I actually find it crazy how much PG people won't eat because lysteria hysteria. If food is fresh, food quality and cooked properly it is totally fine. I could never eat a well done steak!! I still eat good quality medium rare steak. I still have a bit of feta, I still eat ham sandwiches, poached eggs, etc. And some people seem to think cheesecake is somehow unsafe?? How? I honestly dont get it. A girl I know wouldn't eat a dish because it had a bit of parsley in it!!! I know that is not lysteria related but seriously... You would need to eat a whole truck load for it to have a possible negative affect.

Ok rant over I just think its a shame that people deny themselves yummy things unnecessarily. Lysteria is incredibly rare. I know it would be awful to contract it and for it to effect bubs but that is never going to happen from having a slice of unbaked cheesecake.

Would be interesting to know what the lysteria stats were actually. My
    Midwife says she has never known anyone in 40 years to get it!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast