ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The link that hunnybun posted says pork is ok as long as its thoroughly cooked and eaten hot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I live on pork.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That food site was really good..
    but my gosh I have been eating some of the DO NOT EAT foods and thought I was being pretty careful..

I thought Ham was only bad buying from the Deli as the slicer can have the listeria or something? So buying a leg of ham for xmas and eating the ham sliced off that at home would be ok?

When I have this baby im going to eat all those foods like crazy! sux I want them more now that i cant have them..

Cold prawns I would have thought definately no..only cooked fresh ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    subscribing just so i can see we got a ham with our chrisco, i asked DR about it and she said it's fine as long as it's cooked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Food that you are cooking and cooling yourself as long as cooked and cooled properly is perfectly fine.. The prawn issue generally lies with the cooked stuff u can buy in the delis, etc but I wouldn't stress if u r cooking yourself..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by andi84 View Post
    Food that you are cooking and cooling yourself as long as cooked and cooled properly is perfectly fine.. The prawn issue generally lies with the cooked stuff u can buy in the delis, etc but I wouldn't stress if u r cooking yourself..
    Thats what I was thinking myself. If its cooked to a high enough temperature, cooled properly and eaten ASAP nasties shouldnt have a chance to breed. I definately would not eat prawns that were bought pre-cooked though... thats a bit dodgy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for starting this thread Giggle! I woke up this morning wondering the same thing as I have an early Christmas lunch this Saturday. We always have home cooked but cooled meats, I plan to eat them but stay away from the prawns as they'll most likley be the cooked deli bought ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by andi84 View Post
    This ^

I wouldn't eat cold prawns off a buffet, but I have no hesitation in eating them straight from the fish monger to home.

It's all about common sense really, if food is sitting around (particularly meats etc) then no, but if you cook the food fresh and eat it straight away then it's fine. Baked ham that has been cooked at home is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Another thing to be aware of at Christmas time is all the desserts. Make sure you don't eat any desserts that are made with raw eggs, for example, cheese cake.

Other things such as aeolis are made with raw eggs as are fresh mayos and hollandaise and bearnaise sauces.

So be careful of mustard sauces made for baked hams etc and mayos for salads etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow- I didn't know some people use raw egg in cheesecakes! I've never made it like that. Good to know though.... I thought cheesecake was fine.

Regarding christmas lunch, my OB told me to steer clear of cold, bought chicken and ham. Home-cooked stuff should be fine as long as it wasn't cooked days before.