Miss skittles this is a terrible situation. As an experienced health professional I find it extremely unusual that you would be denied surgery based on a risk of birth defects. It would be up to you to sign a consent form with the understanding there is risk involved. I can't stress enough how important I think it is you seek further advice on this potentially from a lawyer. If you have made your decision then no probs but if you don't want to terminate based on a possibility then I would be fighting for your right to treatment. It is possible to take precautions when exposed to radiation in tests when you are pregnant and surgery alone doesn't necessarily cause probs to a baby. The explanations you are being given just dont seem good enough when your outcome is so drastic. I say this out of concern for you as I have had a medically necessary termination and it is a devastating thing to live with, you need to have as much information as you can before making a choice like this. I still think you should explore medication as it can be a very manageable alternative and could get you through the next 7 months until you could deliver your baby. I would hate to see anyone in a situation like this due to misinformation.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 11 to 20 of 26
04-12-2011 14:49 #11
04-12-2011 14:52 #12
And can I also stress that no one can make a decision as to whether you have a baby with disabilities other than you. They absolutely cannot deny treatment because they are concerned you would then want to continue the pregnancy if there were problems. I work in health ethics as well and I can say this for certain.
04-12-2011 15:22 #13
Angelmummy, brain surgery OFTEN uses radiation ie to locate sites within the brain. I'm not sure why you needed a lung test OP but depending on what sort, CT, nuclear med, that will also expose the baby to large amounts of radiation. And wearing lead over the abdomen won't protect from internal scatter so that doesn't help much. I can unfortunately see why the surgeons won't operate while pregnant as even if the op signs something saying she knows the risks she can still turn around and sue later. It's terrible but unfortunately any product of our litigious lifestyles that doctors are now too scared to take risks like that.
As far as medications go, I'm sure the op has tried many different meds but of courses these can also cause severe birth defects.
Op, I'm so sorry you have to do this. Of course you don't have to terminate but if you decide to, you know you are doing the best thing for yourself and any future babies. It's no use having a baby if her mum is dead or brain damaged from hypoxia or an injury while you have a seizure.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:
04-12-2011 15:27 #14
With radiation you can't always tell what deformities have occured but they can be horrific and internal.
I can't comment on whether she could keep the baby and still have epilepsy because I don't know anything about her, but I just wanted to add what little I know about having brain surgery, that the doctors have a good reason not to perform a surgery which involves radiation and taking out a part of someones brain on a pregnant woman. And you can't always consent to something no matter what, the doctors can refuse to operate on her if they think it will do more harm than good.
eta... brain surgery is also risky. What if she can't consent to an abortion if the operation goes wrong?
Last edited by TinyLittleTootsies; 04-12-2011 at 15:34.
04-12-2011 15:53 #15
I agree these decisions are often about risk of litigation as sad as that is. I would suggest seeing a neurosurgeon at a catholic governed hospital if you want to try all your options first. I have seen time and time again medical professionals leading people to make decisions that are in the best interest of the hospital rather than that individual person. There are some gaps in this story that are concerning.
04-12-2011 15:56 #16
I offered to sign consent and what not...just incase...
They still wouldn't and have made surgery 6 weeks from now to let me get over one thing at a time.
As for the lung test.... I had to give 5 viles of blood...have a heart rate test and lung test all in the pre admission clinic... They wouldn't allow due to radiation.
I also needed a MRI.
Wouldn't allow it :-(
04-12-2011 15:58 #17
I have come to terms with the decision...
What I have to do for my health and the child's... The child will return to me one day hopefully... And then I'll have memory ( I have memory problems due to this lesion ) and be healthy and able to watch my son/daughter grow up and remember it.
There probably is some gaps but I know what's needed right now... And that's to get my health in amazing order and hopefully have this angel returned..trust me...I spent hours and HOURS sitting and thinking...about this.
I'm 23.. I need to be healthy... I have seizures crossing a road... Imagine being pregnant or WITH my child :-(
I have 3-5 a week :-(
But thank you all SO much...
Your advice, your love and support is amazing!!! :-) xx
Last edited by MissSkittles; 04-12-2011 at 16:03.
04-12-2011 16:07 #18
04-12-2011 16:14 #19
Could not read and not give you some .
Please treat the OP with kindness and understanding!
04-12-2011 16:36 #20
Good luck with your surgery.
By Guest1234 in forum General ChatReplies: 4Last Post: 15-08-2012, 16:31
By Mopoke in forum Breastfeeding SupportReplies: 0Last Post: 26-02-2012, 13:14
By captainscaptain in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & ChatReplies: 0Last Post: 17-12-2011, 18:38
Melbourne Natural Medicine ClinicLeading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Situations - ok or not ok?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Happiness thread.General Chat
Growth Of Intellection. Discussion?General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Egg Donation in Greece #5Egg Donation
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
Cyclone Debbie Support thread.General Chat
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation