ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Answers for the Do you have kids question?

I find it the most hurtful question for all the reasons you all share.
    My answer now is:
    "I love kids of course but it just didn't happen for me. Yeah bit of a sore point"
    Then they know not to ask about it anymore.

Other suggestions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to singoutsister For This Useful Post:

scsinsurance  (14-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've tried lots of responses over the years, my predominant one with people I don't know is still a simple 'no' and distracting into another topic...never been challenged on that one so far, but I do still get the 'there's still time' response

I guess I've used this as I don't feel I owe anyone an explanation for why we are childless (particularly strangers!). But lately, I've also considered introducing an educational element to it like, 'no, but you know what? not every can or wants to have kids'....Haven't been brave enough for that one yet!

With friends who know we have had a long term TTC journey I have been more honest about our situation as I have come to terms with it more myself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Starf1sh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh i get it all the time with my job....I say no we dont have kids, and its not from a lack of trying. Then they say oh you have plenty of time yet or dont try so hard and it will happen .... meh i just smile and say thats wonderful advise, thankyou so much!Hehe ends that conversation really fast

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cazza1981 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazza1981 View Post
    Ugh i get it all the time with my job....I say no we dont have kids, and its not from a lack of trying. Then they say oh you have plenty of time yet or dont try so hard and it will happen .... meh i just smile and say thats wonderful advise, thankyou so much!Hehe ends that conversation really fast
    The "don't try so hard and it will happen" gets to me the most. Sometimes I just want to turn around and tell them it's hard when people like you keep bugging me about it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Kylieglynn  (14-04-2012),KyraZanda  (11-09-2013),Milly888  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I kinda feel it's personal, so my ultimate response would be 'no, miscarriages yes, no children. So now that you've probed into my personal life let me ask you, how's your s3x life? Personal enough for you?'
    I would never say it though. And I guess if things were different I would be less nasty and just say yes. At the moment I just say no, it's not for us. And move on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

katezane  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on who is asking and how the question is presented to me I will say anything from No I do not have kids, to We have been trying for X yrs and have done some AC but sadly it seems we will never have children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For many years now our standard response has been "we were never blessed with children". It allows us to say a polite "no" and also to have a sutle dig at all those [several expletives deleted] that never care about the precious children they do have.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to steveandjenni For This Useful Post:

katezane  (22-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, new here - I know this thread is a week or so old but it interests me very much, I work in an environment where a good half of my clients are looking for a product to suit their growing family. I see pregnant ladies and large families everyday. I sell cars and obviously, when trying to determine which vehicle is going to suit a certain client I would need to probe a little into their private life. What with my fragile emotions I am smart enough to find out how big of a car they need not by saying 'how many kids have you got?' but more of the question 'how many people will need to be in the car on a regular basis', which is a gentle probe to see how far I could go with it.

Going for tests drives always involes changing baby seats and helping kids in and out and soothing them when they are scared because their parents are nervous to drive the new car etc, and naturally my clients all ask how old my kids are, or how many i've got, because I MUST have them, the way I am around their kids.

My answer is alway a quick dismissive one of 'oh, my fiance has a 4 year old that we get every fortnight'. It usually shuts them up when it doesn't prompt more questions.

I got probed by a nosy lady for hours once, not all that long ago, she brought me to tears in front of the entire dealership, my manager actually told her to leave. People can be so cruel, even when its the LAST thing they are intending.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I hate when they say that also I get but your still young! Doesn't matter I'm only 27 still been trying for 3 years!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say I used to ask people "when are you having kids" until we had to go through fertility treatment ourselves and had people asking us all the time "when are you two going to have a baby" very hard to answer when you are going through the heartbreak of fertility treatment!! I used to tell people the truth about when we were going through treatment, but that choice isn't for everyone. I have recently seen someone hounding a friend about when they are having a baby and could see the friend getting quite upset, unfortunately the person asking the question didn't seem to understand that this person did not want to talk about it. I quickly stepped in and changed the subject!
    Last edited by happydance; 11-05-2012 at 14:42.