+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Aaarrrrggggghhhhh, bl00dy cat!

I am really struggling with my boy cat. I have 2 and he was always a lovely cat. But lately he is driving me insane! I say lately, but it's been building for about 18 months.

Both live mainly outside as DH is allergic. But I do let them in when he's not home if they want to come (they come in more in winter). The girl will find a spot and sleep, he just whinges and whinges at me and then wants to go out. 5 minutes later he wants in again. Repeat 50 thousand times. So I banned him from the house about 6 months ago because it was driving me insane (no cat door).

He whinges constantly - and it's an awful noise. It starts when I get up, he screeches at me the whole time I am getting his food ready. Chases the girl off her food, chases the dog off hers and I am just OVER IT. I'm actually starting to hate him. He shouldn't be hungry. He gets enough and gets the same as the other cat. If I fed him twice, he would eat it all and still whinge. He's just a pig. He has always loved his food, but never used to chase the others off theirs.

He is well, there seems to be nothing wrong with him. He has always been a bit whingy, but has progressively gotten worse in the last 18 months. both cats are 13, so I know they are old, but I can't take it anymore.

The girl is as she ever was. Quiet and sweet. He used to be like that but has turned into a bully and I don't like it. He will walk past her sleeping in the sun, and take a swipe at her. For nothing.

He did get better with the whinging at the door - I started squirting him with water because it got to the stage that I couldn't have the door open for air flow he is that loud and annoying. Couldn't sit at the table because he would whinge at me the whole time I sat there. But as soon as I stopped because he was behaving better, he regressed.

I know I probably sound mean, but I am seriously so sick of him screeching at me. I'm sick, pregnant and my patience is thin. For the first time I am thinking of re-homing him. But I feel awful thinking about it. But maybe he's not happy here and would be better off?

Has anyone got any ideas how I can get him to tone it down? I have a whingy toddler. I don't need a cat whinging at me too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like he wants attention. Sometimes I mistake my cats complaining for her wanting food but mostly she just wants to be loved. Could you spend like 10 mibs a day with him? Brushing him or cuddling him? It will make a world of difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does he want some affection? I know one of my cats gets like that when he wants some affection surprisingly it's my least dominant cat that has his patches EXACTLY the same as you have described I just give him some extra cuddles and ignore his cries, I also have the "you wanted in now you stay in until I am ready to let you out" rule he soon gets the message

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you had him checked by a vet? He may be trying to tell you something is wrong, otherwise maybe continue the spray bottle training. If it gets too bad you may want to consider rehoming him no animal likes to feel excluded or hated and they can usually tell when something is up. You can also talkto your vet about his behavior or talk to an animal behaviorist. Also is this a reaction to you being pregnant at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by UmmInayah View Post
    Sounds like he wants attention. Sometimes I mistake my cats complaining for her wanting food but mostly she just wants to be loved. Could you spend like 10 mibs a day with him? Brushing him or cuddling him? It will make a world of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetius View Post
    Does he want some affection? I know one of my cats gets like that when he wants some affection surprisingly it's my least dominant cat that has his patches EXACTLY the same as you have described I just give him some extra cuddles and ignore his cries, I also have the "you wanted in now you stay in until I am ready to let you out" rule he soon gets the message
    He may want attention. It's not like he gets none, but I admit he doesn't get a lot. Especially in the past 3 weeks as DS was sick and then I got it and am still sick.

But when I do give him attention, he only wants it for a few minutes and then stalks off. I know cats can be stand-offish when they are cross with us, but he has never been like that before. It's the girl who punishes me if we go away for the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Have you had him checked by a vet? He may be trying to tell you something is wrong, otherwise maybe continue the spray bottle training. If it gets too bad you may want to consider rehoming him no animal likes to feel excluded or hated and they can usually tell when something is up. You can also talkto your vet about his behavior or talk to an animal behaviorist. Also is this a reaction to you being pregnant at all?
    He was fine at his last check-up. The Vet didn't find anything wrong with him. I am normally more patient with him, but the last 3 weeks with everyone being sick, he is just taking me to my limits.

I guess it could have something to do with the pregnancy, but he was fine with the first (all 3 fur babies got more cuddly with me if anything!) and it's not a recent thing. They both got a bit snotty when DS came home, but got over it in a few months. If anything, they were scared of him! I've never chased any of them away from him, but was always watchful with them and have made them be gentle with him, and him with them. Now he pats them (he's 2) and they don't care. And I never let him be rough with them and if the cats get sick of him they have a hiding spot he can't get to.

I guess I have mainly thought it is him being a pig because of the way he pushes everyone else off their food. Even the dog! And she's not a little dog either. I have to sand guard at mealtimes to make sure that they get to eat! And when he was coming in the house, all he would do is root around the floor for food and then whinge to go out. It can't be worms as they are all done regularly, so I've just been thinking it's an old age thing. Like when my Gran had her stroke, all she wanted to do was eat. She would be asking about lunch an hour after breakfast! He is the same. Every time I go outside, he wants me to feed him!

But I shall try to spend more time with him and go back to the squirty bottle for my sanity and see if that makes any difference.

Hopefully he settles down again. Might also try some Rescue Remedy as have been told that can help with anxiety etc in pets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He may be starting to get some cognative dysfunction or dementia. I would have a chat to your vet about it.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Is he desexed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have wondered about dementia, and yes, he is desexed.

He has been better the last couple of days. I think he finally got the hint that he is low on the priority list while I am so sick. I'm struggling big time at the moment and am doing the bare minimum to keep DS happy and I don't have the energy to put up with his whinging. The cat that is. Not DS. Luckily DS is cruisey and has been pretty good for me.

Might be time for another vet visit when I am well enough to take him.