+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can get it over the counter as an 'emergency' thing. But technically it is meant to be on prescription.

Fair enough they give it if she isn't breathing but in that case they should be calling an ambulance not chasing parents to sign an asthma plan.

Im not offended by being corrected, but I do know what im talking about, trust me. I wasn't saying it is a deadly drug or anything but personally I wouldn't be happy with some school teacher or 'nurse' giving it to my child multiple times. I'm sure she will be fine but you never know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah the reason it's over the counter isn't so much because it's harmless but because someone desperately needing it, if they don't have a prescription, either gets it at the chemist or has to go to hospital ASAP. Probably to stop situation like when I've realized I've lost mine on holidays and had to go wait in emergency to just be given a puffer. It's a bit of a waste of everyone's time.

Guest Guest
    I had something similar when younger, it wasn't asthma but was my bronchial tube tightening and yes always after a cold. Just something to have the dr consider? I used a puffer for it but it wasn't ventolin it was more like oxygen I think just to help open the tube up. It wasn't dangerous and it passed.
    As for your question, I'd be mighty ****ed at the school for treating my kid and for calling the dad over my head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes ... I would pull her out.... But she needs to be looked at by a DR and to get some answers to what is going on .... The school is only trying to help and I can see their point if she is in distress and needs medical attention and in their eyes the ventilin is giving her the relief ....if your DR isn't giving you the answers then you need to get a second opinion...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    sorry to interupt, but 4underfour, ventolin can be purchased over the counter, it is not perscription only, and if used correctly, there should never be such reactions. I have never heard of such reactions. I believe ventolin is very safe and I have been using it for forty years. Sorry to interupt OP, and no offence to 4underfour. Marie.
    Ventolin is contra-indicated for some medical conditions, and it's very easy to od and it can cause severe reactions in other medical conditions. It is, in the first instance, a prescriptive medication. The school would be unaware if AG's dd had an undiagnosed heart condition

The reason the Ed dept insists on asthma plans is so that they can administer this medication to children. They are not Dr's to dx and px a medication