ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also get the asthma cough flare up after a cold (cough hangs around for weeks after every other symptom gone). When I get it I take ventolin and an asthma preventer which is designed to be taken twice daily, I think flixotide maybe? I usually do that for at least a week.

Even my pharmacist didn't believe me that the preventer would make any difference being used like that but admitted defeat.

I've had that since a child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    As far as school goes, i'd still send her, they aren't doing anything wrong by asking for an asthma action plan. We recently only got DS2 diagnosed as having asthma, they don't like to diagnose little kids with asthma and being that his is food related they really didn't believe me that it was something he ate that caused his asthma, he was in hopsital for two days and given hourly ventolin. Even the discharging pead was clueless saying he thinks Cam got an asthma attack from having a cold and it's not really asthma but reactive airways, which i elaborated on Cam's history of these types of breathing difficulties and then he believed he had asthma, i have been seeing docs for years mentioning my concerns about asthma and cause he had excema as a baby, allergies, excema and asthma are all related. From what i remember with your DD she does have a history of excema and she can't be in carpeted places etc as it triggers it. I am wondering if her excema is still severe, or whether she is now presenting as asthmatic to her triggers rather than breaking out in excema, sometimes it doesn't twig that these are related and i've had sooo many hopeless, useless doctors not able to fix my DS or acknowledge he has asthma, after going to one doc who said he just has a viral infection and gave me antibiotics, i threw the prescription out and just asked for the ventolin over the counter and got him a spacer, but wasn't educated enough to use it. Now from being in hospy we have an asthma action plan and if he doesn't respond to the ventolin in 4 mins between uses we have to take him to hospital. It can be severe, any breathing issues with littlies i'd demand them to take it more seriously if it's a concern for you. You sound like you're not really concerned, but neither was i till i knew how bad it can get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I entirely feel that pulling her out for a few weeks will be sending the wrong message, especially if you feel she is exaggerating her symptoms. Yes she may hate this school but what happens if she hates the next school too? You may be setting yourself up for more hyperchondria if that is what it is.

If she is actually short of breath I would also be taking her to a doctor ASAP. The gp will HAVE to listen and take it seriously if she has been SOB and needing ventolin at school.

In the meantime I would get her on some Zyrtec or claratyne to clear up the hay fever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont think you should pull her out, we all have to do things we dont like at times, so giving the message that its ok to half finish a job is not a good one, IMO.

AS for the black mould in your house that could definately have omething to do with it, and with all the humidity we have been having would really set that stuff off. I have heard Clove Oil is really good at killing black mould.

As for 'the cough' (reminds me of 'the slap' for some strange reason.... )
    do you have any Eucalyptus Oil? Pure essential? Breathing in some can be very beneficial in stopping a cough.

HTH and good luck with your exams.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Azurial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, not worth it. Esp, on days like today (OMG! dont come near our place!!)

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi anagram, Ventolin is not harmful, it is just like adrenalin, relaxes the airways and helps with breathing problems. I understand you are concerned with the school giving it to her, but I dont believe you need to be worried about ventolin. I dont know how old your little one is, but I would be explaining that you need her to be at school while you have all this hard work for uni to be done, but when you are finished with uni, you will be able to spend time with her. I wish you luck with the moving and with finding new and more helpful medical people at the new location. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    hi anagram, Ventolin is not harmful, it is just like adrenalin, relaxes the airways and helps with breathing problems. I understand you are concerned with the school giving it to her, but I dont believe you need to be worried about ventolin. I dont know how old your little one is, but I would be explaining that you need her to be at school while you have all this hard work for uni to be done, but when you are finished with uni, you will be able to spend time with her. I wish you luck with the moving and with finding new and more helpful medical people at the new location. Marie.
    I actually disagree with this, ventolin is a prescription medication and there is no way I would give it to just anyone. It can and does cause tachycardia, the shakes and dizziness. I don't want my kid getting that. I agree with the OP that the school should not be giving it.

OP, I know your local bulk billing place is one of those horrible super clinics, but is there a non bulk billing one that you can get in to? Does a friend see one that they can recommend? Most gps only have a gap of $20 or so

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    sorry to interupt, but 4underfour, ventolin can be purchased over the counter, it is not perscription only, and if used correctly, there should never be such reactions. I have never heard of such reactions. I believe ventolin is very safe and I have been using it for forty years. Sorry to interupt OP, and no offence to 4underfour. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Op, perhaps tell the school that you have NOT given permission for medication to be used and you will file a formal complaint and seek legal advice if they continue to medicate against your wishes especially as you have given an alternative(call you) and you have made your wishes known to them multiple times. It is also I think wrong to ring the other parent to get the answer they want you're the main caregiver should be you they talk to first

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I take ventolin (both a prescription one & over the counter) and they give me the shakes and dizziness. It's not my first medication though, but in an emergency it's definitely better to be dizzy and shaking than not breathing! Some people are sensitive to it, even when taken properly. With the nebules particularly unless I'm basically one step off going to hospital I don't take a full dose because it effects me so badly. But even the puffer gets me a bit!

It is an over the counter medication though.

That all said - they shouldn't be giving it to your daughter if she doesn't have asthma. Unless they are doctors they can't be diagnosing her! That's just ridiculous.

I like the idea of giving them a plan. Like glass of water, sitting down for 20 minutes. If ventolin isn't actually taking away the symptoms then there's no point taking a drug purely to make the teachers feel better.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Azurial  (29-11-2011)