+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I failed :(

I failed a unit of study in my final semester of uni! I can't believe it. I know I failed based on attendance, because I passed all my exams, but I got a full time job and missed a few classes as a result.

I was supposed to graduate, now I can't retake the unit (i need this particular unit to complete my major) until either Winter School or second semester next year

I got 49. Pass mark is 50. I'm so upset.

I can't really blame anyone but myself, but the thought of having to go through the trauma of this unit is just too much to bear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh no!

Does the Uni do supplementary passes? You know when you are due to graduate and are that close to passing they can exercise discretion and bump you over the line. Especially if you have passed all the exams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh that sucks Is there any way you could speak to the head of faculty and let them know you were working and had no choice?

I feel for you, 1 mark is devastating

I hope something can be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I dunno

I just emailed the French coordinator and explained my situation (I either could take the job and afford to pay rent, or I could live on the streets, pretty much! A bit dramatic, but it was the closest I could get to virtual tears and it was half true).

All my other units state you must attend 80% of tutes, or you fail but you just fail the attendance part of the final mark, it doesn't equal an instant fail.

Would I be better off email the arts faculty? (They're hopeless!)

This unit honestly traumatised me, the tutor was always singling out those who were struggling and made us look like idiots and I just had zero motivation to go to class at all. I can usually rely on my cramming to get me through, but I didn't realise they'd instantly fail me because of attendance.

This sucks. How am I going to tell my mother I won't be graduating in April? She'll kill me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Email and meet with whoever you can to try and get yourself through.

Go back and look at the subject guidelines and see if there was anything that suggested failure if you didn't meet attendance requirements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seems like such a dog move, begging to be passed though. I failed, I should just deal with it, I just hated the unit so much I don't ever want to have to see a French dictionary again.

I will beg though, I'm not above begging

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Go to the dean of arts (or whichever department your in). Contact the student union, they often know of all the "loop holes" and who best to contact in these situations. If this is the only class where you had poor attendance for your entire uni career I would think that they would be more reasonable. Your lecturer sounds like they may be on a power trip if they like belittling weaker students. You need to go higher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would beg, plead and cry. You're so close.

We had attendance marks for tutes, but they were only ever worth 10% so not really important.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    FWIW my mother works in a Uni and it happens a LOT.

Generally a faculty will take into consideration how close someone is to graduating and how close they were to passing the unit.

I think for people who fail their last Uni there is almost an automatic granting of a supp exam, but that wouldn't help you if you only failed the attendance part?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (25-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A 49 should get you some kind of supplementary exam that you can take to bring up your grade - it's odd to fail you by one mark and not give you a chance to make up for it!

Email, ring and kick up a stink - someone will have to listen.

**Coming to you live from my iPhone**