+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Another biting in day care issue

Hi all,
    Just wondering if we are over reacting or is it just normal toddler behaviour.
    Yesterday I get a phone call to find out if me or DF can come pick up DD 18mths early as another child has bitten her and left marks and broken skin, and has also been pinched by same child, as we were both working informed her it would be hard, unless one of us could get away early, she goes on to tell me DD has been emotional all day, and this child only has to go near her and she breaks into tears, well if I'd been bitten and punched I would be scared of her to.
    Any ring back later in the day to find out she has been bitten again by the same child, so DF rushes to get out and pick her up as quick as he can. When he gets there, finds out she has 5 bite marks all over her arms, back and chest, and multiple pinch marks, one of which has broken the skin not once but twice.
    Now this child has been known to torment DD and had been doing it most of last week and included hitting and alike, so we expressed our concern and want to know what she was going to do to try and prevent this, on average she has 5 children everyday, and our DD and this child are going 5 days a week so poor DD doesn't get a break, surely with 5 child it can't be hard to take one with you when you go to do something especially if the child starts the day tormenting DD, and in the carers eyes they are kids and this is what they do, so not much she can do to prevent it.
    What do you think about this?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you should organise a meeting with the director and express your concerns to her. The amount your child was bitten is ridiculous and her carer should have been keeping a better eye on the biter, especially since there had already been a case of biting and pinching that day. I would suggest some kind of plan be put in place to help prevent this from happening again, you should be able to compromise on something with the director. Sorry your DD had to go through that

Thanks
    Reviews
    That amount is ridiculous. If she is a good carer she would be mindful of this other child's behaviour and have preventative measures in place. I also think this other child could have been picked up by his/her parents early instead of the inconvenience to you. (Understanding your dd was upset but may have settled down after the child left). It is true that kids do this but to seek out another child continuously is unacceptable. Your poor DD. I would be checking with this carer about how she plans to handle this situation in the future- to say there is not much she can do to prevent it is negligent and she has a duty of care to look after your little one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Wow that is ridiculous. That's just too much.

to your little girl. I'd be asking for a meeting to find out what they are actually doing about this situation, because that's just not acceptable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be SO angry!! to you and your DD. The carer should not have allowed that to happen. One bite I could understand, it happens..but 5 bites and numerous pinches? Disgusting. If she cannot monitor that behaviour, she shouldn't have that many children in her care. It's neglect in her behalf IMO.

Definitely talk to someone in charge. The parents of the other child need
    to be informed and the child possibly removed from care.

I hope your DD is feeling better and doesn't have to put up with that ever again, poor little munchkin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's insane. And for the carer to respond with there isn't much she can do. I'd be kicking @rses.
    Is your dd close to the age to move up to the next room, or the other child? If this carer is by herself with 5 everyday the centre needs to work something out so she isn't. Go to the Director and if nothing gets done, go higher.
    The biting child needs constant supervision. They need assistance expressing themselves in appropriate ways. If the carer is by herself this can't happen.

I'm so sorry that your poor dd has to go through this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    is she at a chils care centre or is it family day care? i ask because from the op it sounds to me like its family day care and a lot of the responses give advice based on a centre. i think it makes it hard if it is FDC, there isnt another room either child could go to, no director per say, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    is she at a chils care centre or is it family day care? i ask because from the op it sounds to me like its family day care and a lot of the responses give advice based on a centre. i think it makes it hard if it is FDC, there isnt another room either child could go to, no director per say, etc.
    I assumed FDC. There should be someone at the council who runs the FDC that the OP can complain to.
    I had my eldest DD in FDC and put in a complaint when she had her unregistered friend come over to look after my 7 month old DD, and then proceeded to tell me to stop breastfeeding her because it was making her too clingy and socially inept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hmm yeah, if it's FDC that's harder. But still she has to do something different. If she's just saying 'there's nothing I can do' and wont try anything you can contact the area co-ordinator to get them to guide the carer in different strategies. Otherwise maybe look at alternative Childcare?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoss View Post
    I assumed FDC. There should be someone at the council who runs the FDC that the OP can complain to.
    I had my eldest DD in FDC and put in a complaint when she had her unregistered friend come over to look after my 7 month old DD, and then proceeded to tell me to stop breastfeeding her because it was making her too clingy and socially inept.
    that's horrendous!!!!!