Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Cool Support thread for those for leaving their son's whole/intact.

I thought it would be nice to have a similar thread for those who plan to or have chosen not to circumcise their sons. Maybe we could all answer some questions about our families and how we came to our conclusions?

-Briefly describe your family, who's circed, who isn't, and why.

-How did you first learn about circumcision?

-Was there anything that had a particular influence on you, like an article, statistic, video, etc?

-Did you face any opposition from friends/family, and if so, how did you deal with it?

-If your son were to ask you one day, "Why didn't you circumcise me?" how would you answer?

Thanks,

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My family is of mixed english/canadian descent. Nobody on my side of the family is circumcised. There wasn't a 'why', particularly - it just wasn't something anyone had a reason to do.

How I first learned about it... I have no idea. A doctor's kid in a house stacked to the ceiling with books, the concept seeped in somewhere along the way. Could have been anything from a minor surgery manual to an anthropology coffee-table book.

Nothing had any particular influence - I'd always just filed it away along with bloodletting and ritual scarring: bizarre, obsolete medicine and cultural cruelty.

I married into a culture where circumcision was the norm. Dealing with that revelation was... no fun at all.

If my son ever asks, I'll tell him the truth: I'd no more let people cut off his foreskin than I'd let them cut off anything else. If he wants it done, that's his choice - as soon as he comes of age.
    Last edited by xkwzit; 05-10-2006 at 14:51. Reason: emotive wording modified

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

No one in my family is circed

I knew it occurred, but I thought it was only done for religious reasons until I found the net

-Was there anything that had a particular influence on you, like an article, statistic, video, etc?

The whole idea of mutiliating genitals disgusts me. Plus, its such a non-practise now in Australia it seems. Its the circed boys who will look "different"

-Did you face any opposition from friends/family, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Nope, everyone was supportive of our decision. We got more trouble with the decision to breastfeed.

-If your son were to ask you one day, "Why didn't you circumcise me?" how would you answer?

I'd tell him that its his body, his choice. Not a decision for me to make.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Great idea Jen

*Briefly describe your family, who's circed, who isn't, and why.

All the boys on myside of the family are circumsized, why? coz it was the "done" thing.
    Except my nephew who is about 19mths old, why? because my sister and her dh think its a cruel custom that shouldnt be done.

Most of the boys in dh's family are done and those who werent done as babies have had some sought of medical problem relating to not being circumsized and most of these men have had to be done later on in life (from the age of 13 and up)

My son is circumsized, why? because my dh felt very strongly about this issue and I was (at the time) not as informed as i am now and had little knowledge of what the procedure involved.

*How did you first learn about circumcision?

It was just the "done" thing in my family, i first remember hearing about it when my cousin got done at birth (i was about 10 years old)

*Was there anything that had a particular influence on you, like an article, statistic, video, etc?

After going through this with my son and having him circ. i felt alot of guilt and shame about having my son circ.

It was a long time before i could even look at my sons penis without being overwhelmed by guilt.........whenever i would nappy change him i would look away as i felt so ashamed.

I feel like i have let my son down by consenting to this procedure, i feel like it was his body and i took something that he can never get back again, I have to live with that and its not easy!

I am pg again and i really fear having another son, as i know my dh will insist on having him circumsized too and i know i wont allow that to happen, so i pray for a daughter just so i dont have to deal with this issue again.

*Did you face any opposition from friends/family, and if so, how did you deal with it?

All my family and Family in law were accepting of me having my son circumsized, all except my sister and her husband.
    My friends were fifty: fifty half said "do it" half said "are you crazy?"

*If your son were to ask you one day, "Why didn't you circumcise me?" how would you answer?

I have actually thought about this alot, what i will say if ds asks "Why mum? why did you have me circumsized?" and all i can say is that i'll be honest with him and hope he isnt too disappointed in me!
    Last edited by xkwzit; 05-10-2006 at 14:52. Reason: emotive wording modified

Thanks
    Reviews
    Briefly describe your family, who's circed, who isn't, and why.

My partner is, but my brother isnt and no one else in my family is either. I just cant remember it being a done thing in the UK where Im from unless its for religoius reasons. I wont be getting DS done either, there is no point to it that I can see.

How did you first learn about circumcision
    Cant say I ever took any notice

Was there anything that had a particular influence on you, like an article, statistic, video, etc?
    Nope, just doesnt seem necessary to me

Did you face any opposition from friends/family, and if so, how did you deal with it?
    No, havent even spoken to anyone else about it, none of their business if I did or didnt want it done anyway

f your son were to ask you one day, "Why didn't you circumcise me?" how would you answer?
    Id say, why would I have wanted to, there was no need

Thanks
    Reviews

My husband's father was intact, but they circed both boys because it was the routine/popular thing to do at the time. My husband's first son (my dss) was circed against his wishes because his exwife knew someone who was circed as an adult. My dss ended up with meatal stenosis at age 2, a condition caused by circumcision which 10% of circumcised boys aquire. Our son, who turns three in about an hour and a half, is happy, healthy, and whole!

I really never gave it any thought at all until I worked in a hospital birth center as a nursing assistant a little over five years ago. I saw my first circumcision during orientation, as it was something we were expected to assist with. It was positively horrifying, even with anesthetic; I actually had to step out of the room I felt sick to my stomach and near fainting. I became desensitized to it over time, but it was the catalyst for me starting to research and eventually changing jobs altogether.

Seeing it, with my own eyes was the most enlightening experience. For those who aren't in a position to see a circumcision in real life, there are plenty of videos on the net. The other resources that had the biggest impact was learning about the anatomy and physiology of the foreskin-it really is an incredible, functional structure. Also, finding out that 71% of circumcised boys experience penile adhesions within the first year of life and 10% end up with meatal stenosis. YIKES.

The only family member who said something was my father, and that was more humorous. He said that everyone would think my son was European. LOL! Firstly, I fail to see why that's a bad thing and second, he had no idea that the rates in the U.S. have declined to the point where it's almost 50/50.

"Because you were perfect just the way you were born. You are wonderfully made...every part of you is precious and purposeful. Circumcision is cosmetic but it is also damaging, permanently removing tens of thousands of specialized nerve endings. It was your penis, and I wouldn't have had any business altering such an intimate, personal part of you without your consent."

Jen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My father is circumsized, but my brother wasn't. He was GOING to be (because Dad is), but my mother went in there, heard another little boy screaming, and left. She figured there was no way she was doing that to my brother for no reason.

DP isn't circumsized. I don't know why - but perhaps it's because his parents didn't see the need.

Well, I knew my father was from years and years. I don't rememeber HOW I learnt it, I just knew it as far as I can remember.

Not particularly.

I haven't had a son, but I talked about it when I pregnant, because we didn't know what we were having. Only one friend thought it was gross not to circumsize...but he was circumsized at 14...it was his own decision (for asthetic reasons ). Nobody else really cared either way.

I would tell him that there was no need to. I mean, we don't remove appendix (which serve no real purpose) just in case people get appendicitis do we? I don't see a reason to circ. It doesn't "look better" (I think they're all quite unattractive..lol) and it doesn't make anyone "cleaner" (if you teach proper hygeine then it should never be infected).

If he further complains/asks why, I'll just let him know (providing he's a teenager or older) that the head of the penis is often more sensitive when a male is "uncut", which is possibly more pleasurable during sex. Hopefully that'd be enough to shut him up...lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and i are both from christian families, and niether side is circed.

Uhhhhhh.... When i met my ex, he was....

Not really...

As our family is the same there is no opposition there, I have some friends whom have circ their children - but we dont really bring that up.

2 things, 1. I wanted to leave you like your Daddy. 2. Its not mine to cut, if you would like it snipped, than you do it - your decision....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no idea. We generally don't go around looking at each others genitals My husband is circumcised, our son is NOT.

I can't remember, probably when I was a teenager, I guess, I don't know.

I've watched the nocirc video. It chilled me to the bone, and it still haunts me. I think also my faith had an influence - some ignorant people will announce that their catholic/christian faith sanctions circumcision, but it is my beleif that God made my son PERFECT, with no modification required.
    Also, my daughter was born with a congenital facial abnormality - and seeing her go through the trauma of surgery at the age of 14 weeks was harrowing. I would never EVER choose to put my newborn baby through that - let alone a surgical procedure performed with no anaesthetic.

My mum asked me if we'd "discussed" it, and I said 'what is there to discuss?? We are in complete agreeance" and that was it.

"Because circumcision is an unnecessary and ignorant modification of a newborn's genitals. I didn't want anybody coming near your penis with a scalpel. I believe that non-medically-sanctioned circumcision should be renamed Male Genital Mutilation and criminalised in the same way as FGM" Then I'd ask him what prompted such a question, and hopefully we'd have an open enough relationship to discuss it frankly and honestly.
    Last edited by xkwzit; 06-10-2006 at 15:02. Reason: emotive wording modified

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    -Briefly describe your family, who's circed, who isn't, and why.No one on my side is circ'd but my DH's side are all Circ'd

My DH

No

My DH's side didnt really try to talk us into it but occassionally they comment on "it" and make snide comments but i really dont care nor does DH

I would say "why would i destroy something that was perfect as it was...?"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast