+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I got a Unimom Forte electric pump because I wanted a double electric pump and couldn't afford the Medela Freestyle. Since I'll be pumping at work I wanted something that was quiet and I could use hands free so I can keep working while expressing. I haven't tried it out yet because bubs is due in 2 weeks. So all I can report is that it's very quiet and only a fraction of the cost of the Medela Freestyle. As soon as I get to try it out I'll report on whether it's comfortable and works!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You might also consider the Spectra DEW 350 - hospital grade pump at far below the cost of the Medela. I think the Unimom is also great. Medela is absolutely overpriced.

I have a pic of the Spectra on my fb page atm for anyone interested.

I also love the Unimom's manual pump actually. But yeah if you are wanting a good (hospital grade) pump for regular expressing then Spectra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also - just thought I mention - I agree you may not need a pump at all!

Also - be aware that if you get a second-hand Medela, it's an open pump so there's no way to ensure that milk hasn't gotten into the internal parts (possible hygiene issue).

The UniMom can be made closed with the addition of a valve, unfortunately the person selling them on ebay promotes them as suitable for multiple people, which is true but *only* if you fit a valve (which does reduce suction).

Spectra is also suitable for multiple users.

Just adding this because I hate it when ppl talk about buying a second-hand Medela without being aware of this hygiene issue!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I loved my medela swing too. Quiet, powerful, comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    You might also consider the Spectra DEW 350 - hospital grade pump at far below the cost of the Medela. I think the Unimom is also great. Medela is absolutely overpriced.

I have a pic of the Spectra on my fb page atm for anyone interested.

I also love the Unimom's manual pump actually. But yeah if you are wanting a good (hospital grade) pump for regular expressing then Spectra.
    Is the Spectra portable? My Unimom Forte is quite heavy and bulky so I won't be able to carry it to and from work daily. I was thinking of having one at home and one at work. If the Spectra is light enough I might decide on that one as the home option as the extra price would be worth it for the convenience if I have to carry it anywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - no the one I was talking about isn't - they do have another one that's portable, though. I haven't used that one though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reactivating an old thread here in case others are looking for electric breast pumps. I've been using the Unimom Forte for over a month now and it's terrific. Definitely not portable but good suction, comfortable to use, relatively quiet, you can double pump and it's VERY good value for money.

There's a new pump available from Unimom now, the Unimom Allegro. It's portable and similar to the Medela Swing. I bought one and take it to work with me, leaving the Forte at home for weekend expressing. It's pretty quiet and easy to carry around.

The main difference between the two, aside from portability, is that the Forte has regular sucking (suck, suck, suck, suck, etc.) the Allegro has burst of sucking then a rest, similar to how a baby feeds (suck-suck-suck-suck, rest, suck-suck-suck-suck, rest). I find the sucking bursts on the higher settings are a bit too slow for my liking so I prefer the Forte but at half of the price of the Medela Swing it's a good buy and does the job. You can also double pump if you buy another breast shield kit and a double connector.