ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi just thought i would add to your qn, with my ds1 i had medela swing and it was good, i used it quite a bit a i went back to work at 6 months and wanted to give him breast milk which i did until 11 months. With ds2, we had bf issues as he was born with down syndrome and a bowel problem and was hospitalised for first 4 weeks, during that time we werent able to always bf or practice as a result bf has not gone well, but on the positive side i have been able to pump so he has my milk only.. so in hospital we had a hospital grade pump (these cost a fortune to buy and we rented one until he was 12 weeks) then i used my swing within days of just using my swing the supply dropped in a big way..so i now have ameda purely yours whicj is a double pump it costs around the same as the swing but if you plan on doing much expressing double pump is the way to go as a letdown on one side kind of helps the let down on the other..

tbh, why dont you wait to see what position you are in when bub arrives, the website i got my pump at has free pistage and it arrived in 2 days..

i wish i had this pump for my first!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Medela Swing for sure! I had a Tommee Tippee electric pump and it was useless, and had so many different parts which made it a pain to wash and sterilise. You can get second hand Medela Swings on Ebay cheap, and then if you don't use it, you can re-sell it.

I'd definitely have one on hand ready to go in case you need it because the last thing you want is to be shopping around for one when you're baby needs milk asap.

Also, I had masses of milk when my milk came in and was painfully engorged. The pump provided much needed relief.

Expressing (or breastfeeding for that matter) should not hurt. If it does, get some help from a lactation consultant

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm gonna buck the trend... LOVED my Avent manual

It worked great until DS was about 6-7mo then my body refused to letdown, as if to say "I know that's not the baby sucking", haha. (Don't know if this would have been diff with an electric one?)

Anyway, it worked so well for me up to then! I used to express a couple of times a day, every day. Yes it did take a few shots to get it right but once I figured it out it was pretty easy, and the cheaper option!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had to pump after every feed for weeks, the Medela Swing was brilliant. I used it every day while BF.

I agree with other posters though. Wait and see what happens when bub arrives. Do the research but hold off on paying for one until you know you'll use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have both a Ameda Purely Yours double electric pump and an Avent manual pump. Sometimes the manual pump was easier to get the milk out with, but the double electric was definitely more convenient.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had the Ameda Purely Yours electric double pump. I had a lot of trouble with breast feeding, so I was using it every 2/3 hours for the first 10 weeks of having DS. The sterilising and cleaning was a lot of work. It was worth it all up though because DS got partial breast milk for ten weeks. When I stopped using it my milk dissappeared.
    We didn't buy it until we realised there was a problem though. They are pretty dear if you don't need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I must have just got a dodgy one bought a medela swing. And after three goes the motor stopped working. Just what I needed at 4 am. So I guess I will be hiring one from the chemist now

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a medela swing, used it heaps with my first, not much with this bub.

As pumps are expensive and I wasn't sure if I would need one, we researched and found who sold what I wanted, kept their details and opening times handy, so when bub was a few days old and we needed it (tongue tie couldn't latch) DH just popped out and got the pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was another who brought an electric avent pump- and loved it. It worked well and I used it for about 13 months as I had to return to work. We purchased it on ebay secondhand and then brought all new rubber type parts for it- which worked out much cheaper than buying new and worked just as well! If I had known I was going to return to work so early and breastfeed so long though, I definitely would have purchased a double pump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Loving my Medela Swing pump