+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 27 month old speech disorder or pure laziness/stubbornness?

My DS is 27 months old and has been on the slower end of normal with language. He was slower to talk than most other children and now has finally started picking up lots of new words. I am now a little concerned about his lack of correct pronounciation. I read a guide on the net that suggests that a person who doesn't know him SHOULD be able to understand 3/4 of what he says with ease. At the moment I doubt a stranger would understand 1/4 of what he says. Even people close to him don't understand most of his words!

He says;

nulk for milk
    dowt for boat
    buow for bubble
    noon for balloon (when encouraged A LOT he will say ba....noon)
    nake for snake
    loo for roo (kangaroo)
    roolee for Ruby (DD)
    dayee for daddy
    wim for swim
    ow for cow

etc
    etc!

In a nutshell he drops lots of letters even though he *can* say them (I'll say M,M,M MILK!, he will say M,M,M,M NULK!, BBBBB BOAT he says BBBB DOWT). He is very stubborn by nature and I'm not sure whether this laziness or stubbornness with speaking is something I should try SP for? Also not sure whether this and his delay with speaking is connected?

Obviously I realise that the range of *normal* for his age group is very broad, and maybe he is just taking his time but will catch up...?

Or is it better to get his pronounciation down pat (age appropriate) now before it becomes a bad habit that is harder to break as he gets older and more set in his ways?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a 30 month old son who sounds very much similar, I'm not worried, I answered a similar thread a couple of weeks ago, and since then, I've been really taking notice of what he says, how he says it, and new things he is trying to say.
    I've been pleasantly surprised at his progess while slow, is definite progress.

I wrote everything down, and actually found he was saying more than I realised.

I think if there is PROGRESS, things are probably OK, up to youthough, you can always get him assessed, but personally I feel people are far to quick to label their children abnormal these days...

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree and when you catch him being lazy make him say the right sounds. My 3.4 yo was still saying t to pronounce C. So his hame is Connor but he would call himself tonnor. Now if we catch him we make him say c c c Connor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My friends girl is 3 next week..you cannot understand a word she says..the health nurse has told the mum to get hearing checked..and book for speech therapy..

It becomes a big issue with kindy ..as the child will be isolated ..because the other kids won't understand them...

Maybe get hearing checked?
    good luck..must be frustrating

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

lovelymum (17-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend was told the same when her son was 2. He is now 4&1/2 and his brother 2&1/2 can out talk him and no one can understand what he says -not even the mother! Poor boy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would ask your GP about it, and perhaps get a consult booked for a Speech Pathologist and get their opinion, I did this today with my 3 yr old and these people pick up so much more than what we do as parents!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a hierarchy for development of sounds. You probably know this from your reading.
    At that age, speech ( articulation ) errors are common and normal. However there are two types of errors, delayed - think w for r, it's a common error and r is a difficult sound. And deviant something like k for d, it's unusual.
    A speech pathologist can help to identify the speech errors and advise you further. In some cases it can sort itself out, but in others it does require a lot of therapy. If it is untreated it can lead to difficulties with literacy. Early identification and intervention is always best. And if there's no cause for concern, then one less thing to worry about!