+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Antenatal Expressing

Hi ladies,
    Ive just hit 36 weeks, and have decided to start expressing for bub 'just in case' he needs it after birth. I have no risk factors, (eg no gestational diabeties, low risk perfectly healthy pregnancy) Ive been leaking colostrum since 20 weeks, so thought I may as well express for bub. Ive been using my pump daily and hand expressing. My question, I was just wondering who else has done this, how often did you express? did u have mild cramping during expressing? Did expressing bring on labour for you? (thought it may not hurt as Im coming closer to term!). Did ur bub end up needing it?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there. What will you be doing with all that produce?
    Me, I did not express prior to bub's birth.
    My bub got everything he needed after birth in that the colostrum I was producing from the breast was more than adequate for his needs. (Newborns do not require much).
    As such, I saw no need to express prior to birth. Nature took care of that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Il have it as a just in case, (if I have a huge blood loss and dont have enough colostrum (which is common with pph's), if bub doesnt attach, if bubs blood sugar is low etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm no real help but my midwife suggested I do what you you are saying, but I just wasn't producing any colostrum. I cannot remember how many weeks along I was. I would check with a midwife, if they are no help, ask a different one. I had a private midwife who was just so helpful.
    The colostrum would have been great to have I think, bub was in special care for a few days and would have benefited from it.
    Enjoy meeting your bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Il have it as a just in case, (if I have a huge blood loss and dont have enough colostrum (which is common with pph's), if bub doesnt attach, if bubs blood sugar is low etc).
    Aha. Gotcha.
    Makes perfect sense really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I expressed after 37 weeks a couple of times a day. Not for giving to bub after birth but to try and bring on labour. Never got "tightenings" though and bub came 2 days before due date so I'm not sure it did much haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been expressing since 25 weeks in order to stimulate tissue growth, as I have hypoplastic breasts. Many women breastfeed right throughout pregnancy, expressing, and feeding is not the same as nipple twiddling type stimulation. It's not going to cause any harm, and if you want to collect some colostrum, that's great. It's highly unlikely you will need to use it, keeping bub with you, skin on skin, and on the breast is always best, even if bub has low blood sugars, etc., but it's far better for bub to have access to colostrum, than to have formula or glucose in the event that they do need something, and you are unwell, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I expressed with my first pregnancy from about 36 weeks as I was expecting a PPH. I think that I would get a couple of ml a day and froze it. As it turned out I did have a massive PPH but didnt have any trouble with my milk coming in. However my son unexpectedly required phototherapy as soon as he was born, so the extra colostrum came in handy as he required large volumes of milk straight away to keep him hydrated under the lights.

He also had to be induced at 42 weeks so it definitely didn't help bring on labour!