+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to clean a really feral oven?

So we only recently moved in and the oven is absolutely revolting. There is an insanely thick layer of grease on the roof of the oven.

I've tried oven cleaner spray and the grease barely budged when wiping over. I've put a second coat on but i'm guessing the result will be much the same as first time around.

I've made a bi carb paste in the past. It's worked fairly well but from memory i think it took a few attempts and that oven wasn't anywhere near as feral as this one.

Any tips on what i could try?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A simple mixture of white vinegar and baking soda can do the job. Lightly moisten the interior of your oven with water. Then, apply a thick layer of baking soda. Allow the baking soda to sit for about three hours.
    After three hours, spray the entire oven with white vinegar in a spray bottle. You will notice that when the vinegar hits the baking soda, fizzing occurs. This fizzing action helps remove stuck-on mess almost as easily as any commercial cleaner. Allow the vinegar and baking soda to sit for a few more hours. Then, simply remove with a damp sponge and some water.
    (FROM http://www.hintsandthings.com/utilityroom/ovenclean.htm)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon (12-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our oven was feral when we moved in but after 2-3 goes with Easy off- oven bam it was sparkling new. Its pretty stong stuff and will peel the skin of your hands so wear gloves and a mask as its pretty toxic.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kirstyandmick For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon (12-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did the vinegar thing and elbow grease and it worked great! And if you leave any residue it's not gonna
    Matter too much

7. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon (12-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ring the real estate. The oven should be left clean so let them get professional cleaners in to deal with it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon (12-11-2011),ShanandBoc (27-12-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirstyandmick View Post
    Our oven was feral when we moved in but after 2-3 goes with Easy off- oven bam it was sparkling new. Its pretty stong stuff and will peel the skin of your hands so wear gloves and a mask as its pretty toxic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon (12-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I first moved into my DH townhouse his housemate used one side of the kitchen and he used the other.

I used ENGINE DEGREASER for cars to get the layers of grease off the bench top.

I kid you not, easy off bam did NOTHING.

I don't condone using that on an oven. maybe stick with Easy off bam.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon (12-11-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've tried easy off bam twice now. Second time around got a little bit more off but there is still a long way to go. I have a bi carb paste on it at the moment. I think i will wipe it off and put another coat of easy off bam on before bed and leave it on overnight. Hopefully that will work.

I know the property was meant to be cleaned before i moved in. The property manager actually pushed back my lease start date because she was unhappy with the state the previous tenants left the house in, particuarly the oven. I don't know if the tenants ever came back to clean though because the layer of grease in the oven is so so thick and just the general state of the property isn't really up to scratch. I won't complain about it though, The property manager bent rules and did things a little bit different to normal so that i could get the lease signed in and move in with ease.. so yeah i will let it slide but i did make sure i noted it all on the entry condition report.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah the easy off oven works best if left for ages first with the door closed on it. Good luck!