Closed Thread
Page 83 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Net - that is an insane price difference! I am currently on DHEA and I have to pay 70 a bottle which lasts about 2 months so may I ask who your compounding chemist is? Very clever idea to shop around for saizen though i doubt my FS will provide me with a script I wish I could do just that. I will ask around on price. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Net3811 View Post
    WannabeMum, I'd be checking the price of that Saizen. Mine cost me $35. It is always worth asking about the medication prices. Often chemists, compounding and other can supply cheaper so you can ask for and take a script elsewhere. I think being assertive over what you are willing to pay makes clinics think twice about charging something so outrageous. I paid a lot less for DHEA at a compounding chemist interstate than at my clinic. Luckily I was travelling anyway but if not the chemist told me they were willing to post it. If I need DHEA again, that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really sorry I've mixed up serophene with saizen. I must admit I'm now totally confused. I got charged $35 for serophene and I see on Google that that is the same as clomid. I don't remember clomid being one of the drugs I was down for. I'm actually pretty sure it wasn't. Synarel was and that is what I thought I was being charged for. Mmm. Don't know whether to ask and possibly get some money back or if I risk being charged a whole lot more! Are your drug costs not covered under Medicare for some reason? At my clinic the drug costs are absorbed by the cycle, obviously with the exception of "Serophene". I did find this on a Saizen review. "The major drawback to Saizen is the cost. A typical effective dose costs $200-$300 week"

I doubt you'd be on it 10 weeks but it does perhaps put the price into perspective. I'd still query the use given the cost. Most drugs are covered by Medicare as part of the cycle cost. Your price for DHEA is definitely a whole lot better than mine. My clinic charged $100 a month and I managed to get two months supply for almost $70 less than I would have otherwise. I went to a chemist chain in Brisbane. I'll look it up tonight for you but honestly you seem to be getting a better price anyway. I was on 75mg though which may make a difference.

Unfortunately my first FS left the clinic and the new one I was assigned to refused to renew the script (just in case it was dangerous to the baby) just before my second IVF attempt. I've now been off it so long I'm not sure there's any point starting again. I have one more round in me and then I'll move to trying for donor embryos. It is a real nuisance given how long it takes to build up in the system but I'm not sure it was working for me anyway.
    Last edited by Net3811; 19-06-2012 at 14:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hugs to all!

HUGS to you all.

Was thinking how each of us are facing such tricky times right now- stress, loss, disappointment.

Just wanted to say each of you are in my thoughts.
    xoxoxox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Net thanks for your post. I think Saizen is just really expensive as it is a growth hormone and not yet covered by medicare for IVF. I don't know if DHEA makes any difference but if you are interested in only takes up to 4 months for it to work so might be worth thinking about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Wannabemum…how are you holding up?

Zannah…sending growing vibs to emby

Fortitude…how is Micca’s pill popping regime going?

Lilbirdy…not long now…

Lilwish…Welcome back! Another candidate for our preggers club!

Micca…Hi ya!

Net3811…it’s interesting how the drug prices change from clinic, pharmacy and state! Good to know, thanks

Well I’m still waiting for AF, day 31 (****ed). I am feeling a bit yuk so I think she is just around the corner! DH is booked into doing his samples Friday and Friday next week (decided to get him to do two, just in case). Might get the clinic to check my thyroid, I think it might be doing a whammy, just when I thought I had the blooding thing under control!

Take care ladies x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anxious sorry for not following but what is wrong with your thyroid? I have a thyroid problem so I know how hard it is to keep on top of.

Micca I asked my GP for a script for melatonin today but she refused - said it wasn't proven yet to be approved for women trying to conceive and I know what you would say to that and I agree - she is a bit conservative - so I will try to find another doc.

Fortitude and Micca it seems like a lot of us are in this pill popping faze together.

AFM I have arranged to see an integrative doctor i.e. a gp who combines naturopathy, chinese medicine acupuncture etc with "normal" medicine. He costs a bomb but I thought it might save me if he refers me to alternative medicines I can claim these on my tax. It would also be good to get someone who was on board with my pill popping regime to offer a second look.

I was also thinking of changing FS so if anyone has a recommendation for an FS I would love to hear from you. I am in Sydney so that is a preference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wanabemum... sounds like changing FS is a good idea... Ive no idea about sydney, westmead fertility centre has a good name for itself ...cheap too and a great lab. Their age cut off is 43yrs.
    I buy all my vitamins from the states... DHEA, melatonin.. takes about 2 weeks
    very cheap....
    DHEA 50mg (100tabs) $21
    melatonin 3mg (90tabs) slow release.. $12
    I use the douglas laboratory brand which had a good right up... I also got some great organic wheatgrass tabs from them and inositol and zinc. the postage is reasonable as well and it is well worth it

http://organicpharmacy.org/products/DHEA.50.Mg

Saizen cost varies from clinic to clinic... 3mg ampule.. $135-170 per dose... my FS uses 14 doses... my last clinic used 5 doses... it is expensive... but I think it got me over the line too.

anxious... come on AF come on... put those white pants on.... sounds like getting your thyroid checked is a very good idea...especially since it is so strongly linked to fertility. make sure your TSH is <2.5

net... it is worth taking the DHEA>.. I have read a paper that stated that benefits where evident after one month on it.. with maximal at 3months... so it will help.
    Id just get it from the states... if you are concerned about dose ...just take 50mg instead of 75mg

will write more later... unhappy baby gotta go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls

Wanabemum, thanks for your kind words and welcome. I know these ladies are soooo lovely here I'm glad you've found the same . So sorry about your cancelled cycle. I've been lucky with that but we all have our 'issues' and frustrations, don't we . i hope you are treating yourself for now - non-food related indulgences (I see you're on the preg health kick) Great news that you've found integrative Dr - hard to come by those open-minded ones. I'm a full convert when it comes to acup (I see a lady who does japanese acup so no need for the herbs fortunately).
    Lilbirdy, thanks for your welcome back too . I'm also hoping this is 'the one' (although a bit too afraid to really 'hope' too much)

Micca, thanks also to you for your well wishes and also for the advice. I've been seeing my acup for over a year now (almost every week - so I think I'm paying her mortgage for her). I was taking some chinese herbs she'd recommended, but now that I'm cycling again she decided to stop me cos I tend to get overheated at night and the herbs aim to heat more...so not necessary. I'll just moxa over my belly button everyday instead. As for the deer velvet, it may be a bit late cos I may be looking at epu Monday already - cycles seem to go sooo quickly, but then the waits seems to make time stand still!

Fortitude, so about your recent disappointment... I'm glad you seem to be back in good spirits and getting all the ammunition for the next round

Anxious, hoping AF is here VERY soon for you! always MIA when you need her hope you can get thyroid sorted too.

Hi to everyone else out there

AFM, saw FS yesterday... so far 6 follies at 10-12mm & a few other littlies. Back for another scan Fri, possible epu Monday? Will know Fri. Saw acup tonight. She said my pulses showed good strong follies & she was happy about it all too... so looking +ve so far. Still jabbing and snorting away... no bruises tho cos I'm sooooo experienced unfortunately (although been a while since my last full ivf cycle). Been so cranky & tired... although was like that for 2wks b4 ivf started so can't blame the drugs... just have to blame DH

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should probably make my signature here the same as on the SMC forum. I've taken DHEA. My first FS wasn't particularly proactive and was happy to prescribe whatever I requested which has good and bad points. I took DHEA from mid September 2011 through to April 2012. My first IVF attempt in Jan I got two follicles so converted to IUI and ended up with a very early miscarriage. The second IVF in April/May I got 5 follicles, only one fertilisable egg and possibly another chem pregnancy. I got a faint result on a POAS the day before blood test but no HcG at the test itself. I was obviously on quite a high dose of DHEA for quite a few months but it didn't seem to have the result intended. My first IVF I did an antagonist cycle, the second a flare/antagonist. I was naughty and dialled up 400 instead of the 350 prescribed so may have fried my eggs but I honestly don't think there's any way of telling. The month of my first IVF attempt I spent around $1000 with my chinese Dr on acupuncture and herbs. I can't afford to do it again unfortunately. My second IVF I did about a week of herbs and acupuncture before egg collection and before and after transfer only. I could tell she didn't hold out much hope for me with only that amount of treatment. I am only just starting to feel able to try again for one last "miracle" in case God decides to be merciful but don't have high hopes. This is why I'm looking into donor embryos, at my age I think it is probably sensible to concede defeat.

Micca would love to see your recommended pill-popping regime, where is it?
    Last edited by Net3811; 21-06-2012 at 12:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=wanabemum;6644174]Anxious sorry for not following but what is wrong with your thyroid? I have a thyroid problem so I know how hard it is to keep on top of.

Hi Wanabemum. I have hashimoto disease, I was taking thyroxine prior to getting pregnant with DD, but my levels came back to normal after the birth (very lucky), so I stopped thyroxine on advice of OB. It doesn’t take much for the thyroid to do a whammy so off to get a BT today to check it out. I am day 33 of my cycle with no sign of AF, grrrr!