ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Smart Start Shenton Park, Perth - montessori method

Hello

Am wondering if anyone goes here and what they think of it?

There seems to be a lot of unstructured free play time (9-12) and am wondering how much attention your child gets/ how much opportunity there is for social interaction and learning of language etc during this time, not just self-discovery type learning

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi Clucky,

I have no specific knowledge of the Perth Montessori you are talking about, but my girls attend a Montessori school so I have a few thoughts on the "unstructured free play time."

"Unstructured" time, as you put it, is actually at the core of the Montessori method. It's not unstructured at all - the child structures their own time dependent on their educational need. The idea of 9-12 as a time in which a child can do 12 activities, or 1, of their own choice and for as long as they want to, is a very important feature of pure Montessori classrooms - it's called the "three-hour work period" and allows children to develop concentration and longevity in their work, by giving them uninterrupted time to complete a task if they are ready to do that.

My elder daughter would frequently work on one project for the whole period - even at ages 3 and 4, her concentration was remarkable, and the teacher would interrupt her at their own risk. My younger daughter, who is 4.5, still hasn't quite got to that point where she can do the same thing for three hours ... her concentration is developing towards that point, and perhaps next year, or the year after that, she will utilise the entire three hour work period to its full extent. That's the beauty of Montessori - children are given the time and space they need to develop the skills they need, both in the micro sense (three hours every morning) and the macro (three year age groupings.)

As to the activity being free play, all Montessori activities can look like "play", but that doesn't mean they aren't learning experiences. A child has free choice of their activities because they are most likely to choose the things they need to learn - to an adult, it will look like play. But the prepared environment exists to give the children options that are designed to lead them towards all the traditional skills (reading, writing etc) and then some.

Bit of a polemic, I know, but my girls are thriving under Montessori, and I just love the Method and the huge amount of insight - into children, they way they learn, the way the brain works etc - that underpins it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Both my sons went to Smart Start and they thrived. In Perth there is really not much other than Montessori that does any reading, writing or other academic work with the children before year one. At Smart Start my sons learnt how to read when they were three, they were far doing more advanced work there in their prekindy year than they did when they started kindy. Because of this I kept my second son there as well as kindy and he was doing such amazing work, could add, subtract, basic multiplication and times tables, writing all phonetic words, writing short sentences and learning how to write phonograms etc and reading little books almost fluently! Take a tour of one of the classes and they will show you all the amazing resources they have available for your child to work on during these 'unstructured times'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    Montessori is a scientifically proven method of delivering education to children in which they thrive. Perth Montessori is an excellent school which goes from birth to High School. For more info on Montessori generally please see the video http://vimeo.com/15722448 by Dr Steve Hughes assistant Professor Paediatrics and Neurology at the University of Minnesota Medical School discusses why Montessori is a brain-based approach to education and who is quoted as saying "It's like education designed by a gifted paediatric neuropsychologist!" In this highly visual, rapid-paced and entertaining talk, he describes how Maria Montessori's brain-based approach to education provides an unparalleled foundation for the development of academic, social, and executive functions critical for advanced problem solving and lifetime success. He shows how Montessori education parallels what we now know about brain development and fosters the development of advanced cognitive functions, social cognition, and such higher-order competencies as empathy and leadership.
    I hope you find this helpful.