+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ivfhopeful View Post
    This sounds ridiculous but when I have had terrible anxiety I literally talk to it saying a positive affirmation over and over as many times as it takes. Then I absorb myself in gossip magazines!
    I recognize the magazine absorbsion! what do you say to yourself? I dont think it sounds ridiculous as these little cards has been a real saver for me. Sometimes i dont even have to read them, because just knowing that when I read them the anxiety drops actually takes the edge of the anxiety. I guess it could be something with feeling in control, What do you guys think?

I feel very stupid but the website of my coping keys was printed on the back of each card! im in a fog here LOL . its mindaid.com.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Totally agree with exercise and use uplifting or calming music to block out negetive thinking! Wow you guys have amazing skills. It's so great to think I am not alone and we all use similar strategies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    I recognize the magazine absorbsion! what do you say to yourself? I dont think it sounds ridiculous as these little cards has been a real saver for me. Sometimes i dont even have to read them, because just knowing that when I read them the anxiety drops actually takes the edge of the anxiety. I guess it could be something with feeling in control, What do you guys think?

I feel very stupid but the website of my coping keys was printed on the back of each card! im in a fog here LOL . its mindaid.com.au
    I say things like f off you are not going to beat me. I am creating success. And I just say it over and over.

Thank gd I haven't had a bad attack for quite a while ( since January). I also stay clear of the news or anything remotely depressing.

I say I am going to embrace joy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the above. Also keep your appointment. If you hate it, you dont have to go back but It does get easier. Walking and music were the best things for me... Still are if I'm having a bad day (but I'm pleased to say I haven't had an attack in a couple of years now)

For me, one of my triggers was the hypnogogic (spelling) state - the state of calm between awake & asleep. It was horrible. Do you have trouble sleeping? I still use the following technique sometimes if my mind is keeping me awake !!

Visualisations: to get past the hypnogogic state you need a repetitive action in your visualization.

Think about the scene in the titanic. Really picture when jack is in the water shivering and holding onto rose. Got it? If you really see it & feel cold / shivery thinking about it you've got the technique right.

Now if you need this to sleep - think of somewhere you are most at peace. I have one I use which is a rainforest, goes something like this:
    Walking through the rainforest, can smell the musty dampness & hear the leaves crunch under my feet. It feels cool. Everywhere I look are beautiful big palm trees. I sit down on a rock covered in moss to take a rest. As I'm sitting there I start picking at the moss. Picture my fingers actually picking it. Over and over.

I then wake up in the morning (or now to ds) and realize that it really worked!!!

If my description doesn't make sense and you want more info pm me