+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Diff b/w private midwife and doula?

Hi I wondered if anyone could clarify the difference for me, as I'm not sure! I am going to be going to the RWH in Melbourne and can't home birth as my place is too small, put still want additional support as I have no family here and most of my friends don't have kids yet...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A private midwife, is just that. A privately practising midwife that you hire to assist you in a homebirth or hospital setting. They are a trained medical professional, just like a midwife working within a hospital setting.

A Doula is a support person. They are not medically trained are not able to assist you medically if needed. They are there to help you fight for your rights, bring you food/drink, give you a massage, hold you, listen to you etc everything but act as a medical professional.

I hope that helps

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (25-10-2011),missie_mackxxxx  (25-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A private midwife doesn't have practising rights within a hospital setting so they can't assist with anything medical. They can provide you with information about specific things, but a good doula can do that too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deesalie For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (25-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh thanks for clarifying! Sounds like a private midwife is what I am looking for...

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The RWH have their own midwives. I doubt one not employed by them would be able to act in any other capacity than a support person. Why do you think you need more than the hospital will provide?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure really... I think I just like the idea of someone I "chose" being around, who I'll get to know, etc. Plus they do home visits so DH can attend some (it's really hard for him to get away during the day). And I think the extra contact will be nice as it doesn't sound like I'll have many hospital visits and my first one might not be until 20 weeks!

I guess I'm just feeling like I need extra support a I don't have my Mum here! Do you think it's a waste of money? Don't want to spend precious cash on something I don't need, which is why we are not going private!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just engaged a private midwife who will likely have clinical rights at a few hospys from Feb next year, including RWH.

PM me if you want more details. I've only had one meeting with her but she's lovely and I knew straight away I wanted her to help me through this pregnancy.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    kw123 If you can afford a private midwife I'd say go for it! having continuity of care throughout your pregnany and also having the visits in your own home is absolutely wonderful, something which should be available to every woman. It is well known that women give birth much more easily when they have people they know and trust with them, not just family members, but people they know and trust who know about birth.

I've just moved home to NZ (I had 3 children in OZ, 2 homebirths) and it is standard here for you to have your own midwife throughout your entire pregnany and birth, it is seen as b.arbaric not to!! And furthermore, you choose if you want to give birth athome or hospy.

For my first birth, I took my private mw to hospy with me when we transferred, and she was worth her weight in gold, everything i wanted and did not want was respected, as she knew the system, and they could not pull the wool over her, and she wouldn't take any bs.

For my third birth I had an amazing doula (no mw) and if I'dnot birthed at home, she'd have been my choice to taketo hospital, her knowledge is right up there with a mw, but she is completely hands off. Amazing woman, but not from your area unfortunately!!
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 25-10-2011 at 20:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moxy I have PM'd you

AM - thank you! You have re-confirmed that it is the right thing for me!! it's the continuity and having someone who knows me that's the main appeal...