+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think that comparing formula feeding and smoking cigarettes is a bit of a stretch.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-10-2011),delirium  (24-10-2011),Lemmings  (23-10-2011),Lemonhead  (23-10-2011)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    So do we not teach that smoking has health implications because some teenagers and/or their parents will be smokers and we don't want to offend by telling them facts?

There are benefits to breastfeeding to mum, baby, the environment & society. Why are we so scared to teach kids this?
    I dont think its that anyone is 'scared' of teaching this to kids, its simply that its not a necessity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Boobycino I have so much respect for you not once have I ever seen you make anyone feel guilty or bad for their choice to FF regardless of the fact that you are very pro-BFing. You are one of the rare people on here who can be an advocate for BFing yet remain respectful and understanding to those who aren't, and without trying to push your own agenda.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 24-10-2011 at 02:32. Reason: unnecessary

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

naebie  (24-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's another way to put more pressure on mums (we have enough already) and many women who try and fail breastfeeding already end up with PND because of the pressure this will add more. It may also have something to do with a slight increase in future teen pregnancies as girls may feel they 'know' how to care for a baby so big deal if it happens

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've not read previous replies, just on the off chance a debate had ensued and I was stepping in the middle of it

But I think it's a brilliant idea! I personally feel the whole body/sex education in (high)schools needs to be overhauled and I think that bringing in a section of pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding would be incredibly beneficial.

Even if teens aren't interested in the whole baby/feeding thing at the time, a lot of stuff remains with us from our time at school, and teaching the benefits of breastfeeding in schools, could be one step to improving the dismal breastfeeding rates in this country.

As a breastfeeding mother (though my first was bottlefed), I have had so many children ask me what i'm doing when i've been breastfeeding at a park, or cafe/foodcourt and of course, i'm more than happy to tell them i'm breastfeeding my baby/toddler, I also find it a little sad that I am asked that question, my children know what breastfeeding is and what it looks like, as they've seen myself, their aunties and our friends breastfeeding, so to me, the thought that there are children out there who don't know what breastfeeding is, saddens me somewhat.

It's so very obvious that breastfeeding isn't seen as 'the norm', especially given the attitudes of adults and even other mothers, so anything to help it become more accepted is a great positive in my eyes.

And that's not to mention how many women don't succeed in breastfeeding for lack of correct information and lack of support, and if better information was given to us earlier, rather than everything being shoved at us for the first time in our sleep deprived, new mother status, things may sink in more and make more sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps as part of early childhood practices, when I did ECP there was a unit on infant care so including breastfeeding Ed would have been appropriate then.

Then again in either health or biology perhaps talking briefly about how we are lactating mammals and breastmilk has the following benefits for human infants, while also mentioning that some women cannot breastfeed and some women may also choose not to.

I disagree with an actual breastfeeding 'class' and there would be a risk of offending students and their parents for a whole bunch of reasons.

There needs to be more acceptance of breastfeeding in public, better education for GPs and midwives, and more support for women who want to breastfeed. I don't think teaching it at school would really help breastfeeding rates much if at all.
    Last edited by elleandsam; 23-10-2011 at 16:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had issues with breastfeeding it wasn't a me vs you thing. It was noting that I personally think that if no one thought it was gross, breastfeeding rates would be a lot higher in people who had a psychological reason not to feed. I wasn't judging anyone at all, I was saying that this might be *one* step towards helping get rid of those conflicting feelings for everyone, as they are not nice to deal with. I have dealt with them myself, more than you actually know I guess. Instead of staunchly defending my right to say it is "gross" (because yes, i still stuggle with those feelings) I am saying... it would be good to have a solution to that, so that no woman had to think of feeding her own baby as gross or that her breasts are only sexual.

eta It isn't about formula feeding being bad either. Why can't a thread be about simply breastfeeding without it threatening formula feeding? They can teach as a part of it that Mum's sometimes need to formula feed or something, but the question was should breastfeeding be taught at all.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 24-10-2011 at 02:33. Reason: reference to deleted text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks I try

I'm not afraid of talking about the benefits, but I'm just wary of how it might be handled by a teacher with their own personal views dealing with children with a variety of different family values and upbringings. Just more wary how it's handled and taught than teaching facts. I think that's my concern, that the 'facts' might get lost.

I think throwing in breast feeding from a biological point of view in the same discussion as this is how other bodily functions work. Pull out a diagram of a breast and talk about milk ducts and stuff. But I'd just be wary of risking a FF vs BFing debate in a classroom.

I'd love to see more breast feeding normalized in children's shows, books, shows aimed at teens & young adults (like home & away type shows) and less 'breasts are for sex' and 'breasts are for me' in media and advertising.

I'd also like to get all the *cough cough* health professionals *cough* that give women a hard time for choosing to breast feed and bang all their heads together!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

naebie  (24-10-2011),~ElectricPink~  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    I think that comparing formula feeding and smoking cigarettes is a bit of a stretch.
    I wasn't comparing formula feeding with smoking cigarettes, i was addressing the concern that issues may arise if (when discussing breastfeeding) that teenagers may say they did x and they were fine and the inference that we shouldn't then talk discuss the topic.

In lieu of smoking, i could have said speeding in a car- some people will have no ill effects from it, many kids will be exposed to it from friends and family. doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to educate kids that not speeding is the preferred way to do things.
    Last edited by Bubbles10; 23-10-2011 at 17:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    I suppose.
    I wont be teaching my kids anything about BFing...I mean I'll let them know about the benefits when they decide to have kids (if it hasn't been drummed into them already) but there are so many more important things than BFing, its not the be all and end all of life as we know it.
    I'd prefer my children go to school to learn the academic things they need to get ahead in life. Proper attachment on the breast is not something I think needs to be covered...the benefits, yeah ok, a little of that but there is no need to get into it too much.

I think some people forget that even with support, education, help, the opportunity some just do NOT WANT to BF. Any boobing education at school would have been a total waste of time for me, it would be time better spent getting ready for exams.
    I couldn't agree more!!!