+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I refused to do Phys-Ed in highschool and failed it every single year lol. I still got a great score on my exams and got into every university in the state. Certain subjects don't actually matter to *me* and those include childcare, home ec, phys ed and health. All of those things can be taught to my kids by us.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danni17 View Post
    Yep I am all for it! I think at some point in the school curriculum breast-feeding should be delved into as I really think it would help to normalize breastfeeding, as many young people today see boobs as sexualised and therefore have issues with seeing breastfeeding in public, or the thought of breastfeeding in general and I think that any type of exposure or education on what breastfeeding is, what the benefits are and just trying to normalize it in general would go a long way in helping. Doesn't need to go into massive detail, but just so it covers breastfeeding as a natural, normal and healthy way to feed babies so when they see breastfeeding in public or the time comes that they want to have a child, they will remember in the back of their mind and have had some sort of exposure to it so it doesn't seem so taboo. As a young breastfeeding Mother, before I had children I thought it was just odd and uncomfortable seeing or understanding breastfeeding and wish something was covered in school just explaining it and before i had my baby I chose to educate and research myself properly (went and did a course etc) and only then did I fully appreciate and understand the benefits of breastfeeding, but unfortunately not every mother will do that so I think why on earth would it hurt to educate our youth about something that is basic to human needs, survival, bonding and health that has occured since day dot?

And to the other posters having a go at this proposal - I dont see how simply educating our youth on the most natural way of feeding our babies has anything to do with some women just chosing not to do it. It is just increasing awareness and understanding on what breastfeeding is and does and I am sure just like everyone they will make their own decisions when the time is right and having a little education behind them to support the decision surely wouldn't be a bad thing at all!

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CakeyLoaf View Post
    I don't know if I misunderstood the original article or not. The way I read it was that as part of biology lessons which already talk about reproduction that lactation would be discussed. I didn't read it as a whole new subject would be developed called "Breastfeeding 101". I do not agree with an entire subject devoted to bf but I don't see any harm or negativity with including it in a very much related subject. It is a part of reproduction for most species. Why the big drama?
    I agree - I don't believe an entire subject should be devoted to it either, that would be a bit OTT in my opinion. But I definitely think it needs to be incorporated into another subject somehow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it is a great idea.

Funnily enough, posters saying it isn't a good idea are exactly the people who make me think it is a great idea. If you teach children young enough, that breastfeeding is the best way a baby can be fed, then you hopefully minimise all of the women who think it is "gross". There are a lot of women on bubhub who don't feed just because of the feelings associated with it. If all children (and yes... the boys too!!) learnt that breasts are natural and for feeding first and foremost, then hopefully even when they are exposed to them being for sexual purposes, they will still remember that they are essentially for feeding, not sex and the sex part will be secondary.

I think at the moment, sex is learnt first and then you are pregnant and it is a very hard adjustment for men and women alike to accept that these two breasts are made for feeding and suddenly have more than one function in their relationship. IF we taught children as a part of health class every year for a part of one lesson, had books, pictures etc showing breasts as food, you are teaching brains at an age where the information is soaked and stored for life. The initiatial stages of learning will be ultimatly what their brains revert back to when the time comes, and it will feel natural. At the moment it feels unnatural for some people because they never saw their own mothers feed, they didn't watch babies feeding, didn't learn about it, but started having sex at a young age and only learnt about the sexual function. No wonder people can't shake that feeling of feeding being "wrong".

Breastfeeding classes for pregnant women are already offered, but to be honest I think it is too late. You have already spent your life up until then rejecting breasts as anything except sexual and changing a mindset in a few classes while pregnant is not going to happen.

Everyone saying the curriculum is already overlaoded and classes like music don't have enough time devoted to them... what a bad excuse, that is about funding, private schools with plently of funding offer all of those things, and so do public schools that are managed well, it isn't about not having enough time or children being too overloaded already. haha!
    I doubt there isn't a little bit of free time every day, let alone during health class to add in a bit about breastfeeding.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (23-10-2011),Witwicky  (23-10-2011),~ElectricPink~  (24-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If breastfeeding is discussed in health class or sex ed that's cool with me, as long as it's a balanced view that's shared and they can learn that in many cases FF is better (for medical, mental health, lifestyle reasons etc). I will teach my kids that it's an individual thing. Before I had my baby I had been well educated on the benefits of breastfeeding and NEVER heard anyone say that it can be downright difficult and often not possible, so when I had problems it hit me hard and I felt like a complete failure. I thought feeding my baby formula was akin to feeding her McDonalds happy meals. How wrong was I! Formula has been a godsend for us and I look back and am so glad I didn't let the BFing take over our lives and my sanity.

I would HATE for kids to grow up thinking that breastfeeding is so much better than FF, then get hit with the guilts and depression if they can't BF. I would hate for kids to hear the popular media statistics that FF kids are more likely to be obese and less intelligent because I believe that to be all BS. It would stigmatise kids in the classroom too.

Just my 2 cents!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Then I'd have no issue with it. I'd simply tell them to remove themselves from such a useless, pointless class and have a free study break. I don't care if they fail bloody Health of all "subjects". I'd rather teach my kids about sex, pregnancy, contraception and looking after babies myself, rather than some biased teacher who may have no idea about the reality of having babies and who is following some swayed curriculum from the ABA.
    I see your point, and as a mother you should have the right to pull kids from sex ed.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post

Funnily enough, posters saying it isn't a good idea are exactly the people who make me think it is a great idea. If you teach children young enough, that breastfeeding is the best way a baby can be fed, then you hopefully minimise all of the women who think it is "gross". There are a lot of women on bubhub who don't feed just because of the feelings associated with it. If all children (and yes... the boys too!!) learnt that breasts are natural and for feeding first and foremost, then hopefully even when they are exposed to them being for sexual purposes, they will still remember that they are essentially for feeding, not sex and the sex part will be secondary.

I think at the moment, sex is learnt first and then you are pregnant and it is a very hard adjustment for men and women alike to accept that these two breasts are made for feeding and suddenly have more than one function in their relationship. IF we taught children as a part of health class every year for a part of one lesson, had books, pictures etc showing breasts as food, you are teaching brains at an age where the information is soaked and stored for life. The initiatial stages of learning will be ultimatly what their brains revert back to when the time comes, and it will feel natural. At the moment it feels unnatural for some people because they never saw their own mothers feed, they didn't watch babies feeding, didn't learn about it, but started having sex at a young age and only learnt about the sexual function. No wonder people can't shake that feeling of feeding being "wrong".

Breastfeeding classes for pregnant women are already offered, but to be honest I think it is too late. You have already spent your life up until then rejecting breasts as anything except sexual and changing a mindset in a few classes while pregnant is not going to happen.

Everyone saying the curriculum is already overlaoded and classes like music don't have enough time devoted to them... what a bad excuse, that is about funding, private schools with plently of funding offer all of those things, and so do public schools that are managed well, it isn't about not having enough time or children being too overloaded already. haha!
    I doubt there isn't a little bit of free time every day, let alone during health class to add in a bit about breastfeeding.
    Agree with you so much. I didnt BF my first 3 and now that I have done my research and seen a HUGE difference in the first 3 and the last baby (who was BF for almost a year) I feel like I did my first 3 a dis justice, the last one is so much further then the other 3 were at her age. If I had been educated I would have done it earlier but I felt weird even thinking about breastfeeding and so I didnt do it. They could have covered it in about 15 minutes in the sex ed I sat through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a fantastic idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think as a part of sex ed, biology, etc if reproduction is being discussed then sure discuss breast feeding. But I dont think it'll actually make much difference. Being told "DONT HAVE SEX" as a teen in 'sex ed' didn't make sex seem any less appealing. Being told "DONT DRINK" as a teen didn't curb drinking habits.

I think being taught breast feeding in school wont really make the slightest inch of difference while so many mothers are faced with mixed messages from advertising and social beliefs. While breast feeding mothers are told that breast feeding is best HOWEVER - it must be 'discrete' you mustn't ask for special treatment because you're breast feeding, and you must certainly stop breast feeding by a certain age. While GP's and CHN recommend scheduled breast feeding for newborns and young babies, while GP's go "WHAT you're STILL breast feeding?" or tell mothers there's no real benefit after 6 weeks. While its apparently totally acceptable to ask a mother how long she intends to breast feed for, when she'll wean, why haven't you weaned yet? Or while the solution given my doctors for things like mastitis is weaning (umm kay)

I'm cool with the idea of giving teens some information about breast feeding, but I don't think it'll make any difference.

And I just see issues arising if teacher says "breast is best, breast fed children are smarter, healthier, have less health problems, less like to be obese etc" and a student says "i was FF'ed and I'm fine" when it can be such an emotional and heated topic, I'd be wary introducing it to teenagers, particularly if the teachers may have an agenda one way or another.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post

Couldn't have said it better - 100% agree

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Breast feeding is mentioned/taught through the Australian Dietary Guidelines for Children and Adolescents (The first guideline is Encourage and Support Breastfeeding), which is a key concept in most PDHPE syllabuses in Australia. Therefore, high school students would be getting some information about breast feeding when they are taught nutrition (assuming the syllabus is followed). It would depend on the teacher how much information and detail was given. I am fairly sure it's also in the syllabus for both Early Childhood Studies (an elective subject for Stage 5 students) and Community and Family Studies (another elective subject but for Stage 6 students).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    And I just see issues arising if teacher says "breast is best, breast fed children are smarter, healthier, have less health problems, less like to be obese etc" and a student says "i was FF'ed and I'm fine" when it can be such an emotional and heated topic, I'd be wary introducing it to teenagers, particularly if the teachers may have an agenda one way or another.
    So do we not teach that smoking has health implications because some teenagers and/or their parents will be smokers and we don't want to offend by telling them facts?

There are benefits to breastfeeding to mum, baby, the environment & society. Why are we so scared to teach kids this?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

wrena  (23-10-2011)