+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well over 90% of women intend to bf their first baby. Why? Because they know it's the best start a baby could have. What they don't know is how difficult bf can be. The conflicting advice from midwives doesn't help.
    While I do agree with the concept in principle - it is a good way of normalising breastfeeding in society - I think BigRedV has pointed out the most important part as far as I'm concerned.

Most new Mums DO understand the benefits of breastfeeding. Most DO intend to breastfeed ....

However there is a number of issues which I think contribute far more to our low breastfeeding rates.

1) Lack of support for breastfeeding mums. Sleep deprivation is a huge issue, and where we used to have a 'village' where people would help new parents ... now we dont so much.

2) lack of information on what to do when things arent so easy. Its not lack of info about the benefits, but what to do to increase supply, how to avoid/help with cracked nipples, mastitis etc .... its a lack of information on HOW to establish and maintain that breastfeeding relationship.

3) lack of assistance (which is probably a mixture of 1+2). We need properly trained lactation consultants available to everyone. We need midwives who give consistant (and good) information and support. We need GP's who understand how to care for a breastfed baby and a breastfeeding mother instead of advising them to immediately stop breastfeeding.

Some of these issues are as a result of the way breastfeeding is viewed in society .... but mostly I do think our low breastfeeding rates is due to the practical difficulties in actually breastfeeding rather than the lack of education on its benefits or lack if intent to try.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im pretty sure its already part of the curriculum in yr 9

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really think that extra $ could be put into place where people actually need the support and help. What about lactation consultants that can visit you at your house free of charge so everyone can access the service? Or more help in hospital?
    I think it would go to waste in schools.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post
    I don't know where to start so I shan't
    Err ok

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (22-10-2011)

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it's a good idea in theory to educate children about breastfeeding, but I don't know how feasible it would be as the curriculum is already overloaded. There are not enough hours in the day to teach what we need to teach now and often things like music, art or craft, dance etc. are omitted because there is so much focus on literacy and numeracy (blame NAPLAN and myschool)
    I haven't read the whole thread - but I do have to TOTALLY agree with this comment ...

while its a great idea to expose kids to a range of information (including baby nutrition etc) ... I dont know where the HECK you would add it to the already packed schedule???

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think that of the girls of that age that would be paying attention in that class, most of them would be grossed out at the thought of anyone but the hot guy touching/sucking their breasts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I think that of the girls of that age that would be paying attention in that class, most of them would be grossed out at the thought of anyone but the hot guy touching/sucking their breasts.
    Yeah exactly and the guys will just be perving on the boobs haha.

As if any of the girls are going to sit there jotting down notes:
    "Oooh better remember that, I'm going to need it in ten years".
    Cmon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Yeah exactly and the guys will just be perving on the boobs haha.

As if any of the girls are going to sit there jotting down notes:
    "Oooh better remember that, I'm going to need it in ten years".
    Cmon.
    10 years? hmm some of my peers were pregnant before finishing school.
    so obviously sex ed didnt work (or maybe they wagged those classes)
    and i have to say that sex ed was nothing new to me as im a country girl
    but i want my kids to learn everything that they can, and how to look after a baby is a very important thing to learn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    10 years? hmm some of my peers were pregnant before finishing school.
    so obviously sex ed didnt work (or maybe they wagged those classes)
    and i have to say that sex ed was nothing new to me as im a country girl
    but i want my kids to learn everything that they can, and how to look after a baby is a very important thing to learn!
    Yes I was nearly one of those girls haha.

I don't disagree that it is important to learn, but it should be taught in the home or hospital. I don't feel that my school fees should go towards teaching my DD about how to boobfeed when she may never want to BF. Even if she did, that sort of thing is best kept at home. Its JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it should be briefly covered in health or biology or whatever (inc education about the benefits etc). But i think the issue is way deeper than educating teenagers in its health benefits. This wont normalise bf in society, it needs to be visible to seem 'normal' but its not.

I agree with katie'smum, thete are a million reasons women dont bf, education is pnlu one of the reasons. We need real support to get the rates up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Yes I was nearly one of those girls haha.

I don't disagree that it is important to learn, but it should be taught in the home or hospital. I don't feel that my school fees should go towards teaching my DD about how to boobfeed when she may never want to BF. Even if she did, that sort of thing is best kept at home. Its JMO.
    The problem is though is that a great deal of things that SHOULD come from home arent taught to many kids.
    and its not just your DD that needs to learn, your DSs will need to know how to support their future wives. Im so glad that DH had unlimited access to medical texts (his father is a doctor) and is great with any medical stuff, plus is very blasé about the human body functions. Its been the biggest support to me!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-10-2011)