+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I Was better educated on BF I would have Breastfed my first 3 I fell guilty now that I know more about Breast feeding, I feel bad for not so I think it is a good idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great idea, it's part of human reproduction/ biology so should be included.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If any of the kids I teach want to see breastfeeding all they need to do is look behind them at assembly. There always seems to be at least one Mum feeding away. Other than that I honestly have so much to teach them to fit much more in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it should be included when talking about reproduction, etc. Not as a subject by itself.

I think one of the reasons I succeeded with breast feeding (currently tandem feeding my 2.5 year old and 2 month old) is because I grew up watching my Mum breastfeed my four younger siblings. I honestly thought most people breastfed, and that only a few people bottle fed. It wasn't until my daughter was born and I went to a Mum's group that I realised more people bottle-fed.

My partners family also all breastfeed, so the amount of support I received when things were difficult (cracked nipples, low supply, etc.) was amazing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's a good idea to build it into current curriculum and teach it in a child-appropriate way to normalise it. I remember my friend's 6 year old son coming over when DD was born and he freaked out at me feeding. It's funny because he was BF for over 2 years and was near impossible to wean!!!

Bit of useless information here...my boss used to go to the local high school and do BF'ing demos for year 11/12 students so this has been done in the past. She was part of the then nursing mother's association. It would have been over 20 years ago. She always goes on about how she accidentally squirted the front row...Ew.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Being an atheist who is sending my kids to a Catholic school I would crack up immensely if they failed Religion hahaha.

I think childcare class is a waste of time. I'm not paying thousands of dollars a year for their education for them to spend time learning how to change nappies. Its not a real subject, its a Mickey Mouse subject like Home Economics and Phys Ed haha.
    I don't know where to start so I shan't

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally I dont like the idea. Im all for making it a small part of sex education in school, but thats it. JMO

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bckarose View Post
    I think it should be included when talking about reproduction, etc. Not as a subject by itself.
    This

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I don't see how any issues a mother has with successfully breastfeeding has to do with children or other adults accepting breastfeeding as the norm? I didn't know a thing about bf or thought it was important to try and learn before I had bub because no dr or midwife told me I should! Or made it important in a way kinda like an antenatal appointment is important iykwim?
    But I still knew it was what I wanted to do and it was important and learnig anything 12-15 years before hand wouldn't have a difference to me in wanting to? I also couldn't give a rats what anyone said while I was breastfeeding, or if they thought it was disgusting, it wouldn't have detered me.

But my main point is, educate the health professionals, change the way expectant mums learn aboutbreastfeeding and provide more services to help breastfeeding mums, spending money anywhere else until thats fixed is pointless imo.
    In regards to your first sentence - beause a woman was once a child. And it's children who need to be given the right message about breastfeeding. I've learnt firsthand that it is very, very difficult to change a grown adults view on breastfeeding (I have a couple of friends who think it's 'gross' and 'weird', and there is absolutely no changing their mind because they have been brought up seeing babies drink milk out of bottles, not breasts). I honestly don't believe they would have that perception if it was normalised when they were children. If a child is brought up around a certain activity, it is 'normal'. Breastfeeding IS normal, but children these days know little or nothing about it, and seem to rarely witness it. A child who has learnt about breastfeeding etc is more likely to positively support breastfeeding and breastfeed their own children as opposed to a child who has not. And unfortunately, humans are less likely to engage in certain behaviours and activities if they are not considered to be 'the norm'.

By the way, it's excellent that you were not deterred despite your lack of knowledge on the subject, however unfortunately that's not always the case
    Last edited by Witwicky; 22-10-2011 at 21:43.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-10-2011),Lovemyfam  (23-10-2011),misskittyfantastico  (22-10-2011),TinyLittleTootsies  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I say a big yay! I have and will BF anywhere and in front of whomever happens to be there. Kids are always fascinated by it.