+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    DaughteroftheForest is offline Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's a great idea!

I'm 8 months along with my 3rd and I'm trying to teach DD that babies get fed with boob milk. She gets it for the most part. When I first found out I was pregnant I bought her a baby doll to help her get used to the idea and at first when the baby got hungry she'd get me to BF it, but now she does it and makes sucking noises, it's so cute! but I'm constantly having to correct MIL when she tries to feed the baby doll whatever DD is eating, mostly because i don't want DD thinking that babies actually eat ice cream and crackers and apple slices in the event that she will try and feed DD2 that stuff after she's born, but also because I want DD to know how babies are fed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a great idea and one we are trying to implement in our community. Aroun here it has been shown that women who grow up with bottle feeding as the norm are more likely I have problems bf and stop sooner. I think that would be the case in most areas.
    Speaking to Sudanese women recently they said they really didn't have problems bf at home, it was just what you did no questions asked. Of course lots of this is due to support from family, but I think f you see something has totally the Norm you are much more likely to do it. These women couldn't understand our difficulties.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i can't imagine they are talking about a 50 minute 'breastfeeding 101' class once a week, it's far more likely that breastfeeding education would be integrated into other subjects like nutrition and health, the human body etc. I think it's a great idea
    The other really important step is to normalise BFing in the media, i am getting so sick of babies with bottles in every single picture book i've ever seen. And BFing is barely portrayed in tv etc unless it's there as part of a storyline.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Aurora21  (27-10-2011),ejandakrose  (22-10-2011),TinyLittleTootsies  (23-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely a good idea. I can't see the harm in normalising the subject through age appropriate teaching as has been mentioned. Younger children should have access to story books which show pictures of mothers breastfeeding. For older children, it should form part of the human biology/sex ed (whatever those classes are called these day). Normalise it but also teach young women (and the boys who will one day need to support their partner) that breastfeeding isn't always an easy thing to achieve but there are a lot of support services and the benefits of breastmilk are amazing. If it's OK to teach them about reproduction, why not how to feed the result!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree it is about it being normal so people are more likely to be supportive and hence hopefully increase longer term BF rates. It needs to be combined with other methods to increase support etc.

To the PP who was surprised at only the 14% exclusively BF rates at 6 months- that would not include babies who are only on BM but have started solids before 6 months. I know my son is in that category- he has never had formula but is on solids. I imagine the rates of BM vs formula would be different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I breastfed both my kids, the second until he was three. Breastfeeding has always been normal in our house and I'm pretty sure that if you asked either of my kids (now 5 and 7) how babies are fed they'd answer with boob.

I completely agree with article, the stigma needs to removed from breastfeeding and normalising starts when children are very young - before the cultural creep starts.

Both of my kids know that babies normally come out of vaginas and boobs are for feeding them. Whether or not my daughter eventually chooses these things when she has her own children isn't the point - the point to me is that these things were presented as normal to her in a culture that that doesn't really view them as normal anymore at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It is needed IMO. Some of the comments that come out of my DD classmate mouths (gr12) shock me and her. She is always correcting the misinformation and crazy ideas about breastfeeding, pregnancy, birth and newborns. She is their expert of sorts.

Just wanted to add, that our prep has introduced a lesson of babies, where the get one of the mothers to bring a small baby, they talk about babies, how they are fed, clothed etc.... They bath the baby at the end of the talk.
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 22-10-2011 at 12:41.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Aurora21  (27-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't mind, but I would like the option to have my child removed from the classroom or placed in an alternative health class where it is not discussed if this was approved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    I don't mind, but I would like the option to have my child removed from the classroom or placed in an alternative health class where it is not discussed if this was approved.
    Why? It's a normal part of being a mammal? I don't think it should be pushed as the only option but I'm not sure it should be skipped over either both options should be discussed fully imo thou perhaps if they skip out of sex Ed all together..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummykitty View Post
    Why? It's a normal part of being a mammal? I don't think it should be pushed as the only option but I'm not sure it should be skipped over either both options should be discussed fully imo thou perhaps if they skip out of sex Ed all together..
    Yeah I agree. I don't mind if people are happy to let their children learn about it and even see video's about it but its not for me, and not for my children. Its different to sex education. Sex ed is there to mainly discuss contraception and avoiding pregnancy at the time children are at school. Breastfeeding ed would be about how to care for a baby and honestly, nobody would give a crap about it. The boys would be perving on any boob that was shown and the girls would hardly absorb any of it. Seriously, how many times in sex ed did we have to fill in the penis diagram with all the names of the bits and pieces...does anyone even remember where all those things are anymore lol???