+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's a great idea! School is the best place to teach it, even though those of us want to teach it to our own kids I'm sure there are many parents who would not, at least if it is in the curriculum all children will know about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this is a great idea. I had never seen a woman breastfeed or knew anything about breastfeeding until I was pregnant and feeding my own child. I don't want it to be like that for my kids, even though I didn't succeed with breastfeeding. It could be part of biology or health classes.
    However I do think improving breastfeeding rates is going to take a lot more than that though. MCHNs, doctors, pharmacists also need to be better informed.

Guest Guest
    But why waste those resources on school kids and not spend it on free education classes for pregnant mums? How many new mums do any sort of breastfeeding education while pregnant? How many resources are actually there for that sort of support before and after baby? Until this aspect is fixed, I don't agree with spending money on any other type of education.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

summamummy  (22-10-2011),~ElectricPink~  (22-10-2011)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's an excellent idea. A REALLY good idea. Unfortunately to many children, breastfeeding is not the norm because they never see it or hear about it. I only ever recall seeing one or two women breastfeeding during my childhood, and I knew absolutely nothing about it until I had my own children.

When DS1 was born, we had my father and step-brothers come to visit. My two step-brothers (aged 8 & 11 at the time) were horrified when I started to feed my son. They had never seen a woman breastfeeding before (I don't even think the younger one knew that was how babies get fed TBH!). He certainly didn't hide his disgust So sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    But why waste those resources on school kids and not spend it on free education classes for pregnant mums? How many new mums do any sort of breastfeeding education while pregnant? How many resources are actually there for that sort of support before and after baby? Until this aspect is fixed, I don't agree with spending money on any other type of education.
    Well I would argue that education for pregnant mums isn't enough. I know heaps about breastfeeding, I had a home birth with my second and I was determined to breastfeed him as long as possible. I worked with my midwife to learn as much as I could before he was born. Ultimately I believe it comes down to your support network. It's almost impossible to succeed with breastfeeding without support around you, it's unbelievably tough to do on your own. I gave up. The breastfeeding classes available to pregnant women aren't working, why not normalise breastfeeding from a young age and better equip family members and health care professionals to help a new mum when her time comes to feed? Just my thoughts.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I had DS in Townsville and attended one of those free breastfeeding education classes actually. There was only a handful of mum's/mum's to be - the educator said it's the least popular class that they hold.

Women aren't going to seek help or attend classes if they think bottlefeeding is the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well over 90% of women intend to bf their first baby. Why? Because they know it's the best start a baby could have. What they don't know is how difficult bf can be. The conflicting advice from midwives doesn't help.

Guest Guest
    I don't see how any issues a mother has with successfully breastfeeding has to do with children or other adults accepting breastfeeding as the norm? I didn't know a thing about bf or thought it was important to try and learn before I had bub because no dr or midwife told me I should! Or made it important in a way kinda like an antenatal appointment is important iykwim?
    But I still knew it was what I wanted to do and it was important and learnig anything 12-15 years before hand wouldn't have a difference to me in wanting to? I also couldn't give a rats what anyone said while I was breastfeeding, or if they thought it was disgusting, it wouldn't have detered me.

But my main point is, educate the health professionals, change the way expectant mums learn aboutbreastfeeding and provide more services to help breastfeeding mums, spending money anywhere else until thats fixed is pointless imo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Aurora21  (27-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    I think it's a great idea.
    ^this

To pp who mentioned they draw a bottle but breastfeed I'm sure your kids will remember the moments over the drawings

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think this is a great idea.

I hardly bf DS - not because We had any physical-attachment issues but more because of how I felt it was perceived in public and even in my own home among certain guests!

I think educating bf as 'normal' and all the benefits would encourage women to bf for longer- but some women just don't want to bf - and they need to know that it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work out.