+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Some really great comments have been made. I think increasing long term BF needs a many "pronged" approach. By teaching BF or even just discussing BF and having children see a baby being breast fed helps normalize BF. But we also need a lot of other things to change too eg CHN attitudes, support etc etc.
    I just wanted to add that there have been a few comments about what the ABA should do etc. Please remember that nearly ALL of the ABA is run by volunteers who are mothers and generosly give their time to help others. Very few people in the association get paid. They provide an invaulable service with the helpline,meetings, email counseling etc!!!!! Shame more people don't attend meetings etc. Just a thought!!!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

proud-mum  (29-10-2011),twotrunks  (30-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulabelle View Post
    I just wanted to add that there have been a few comments about what the ABA should do etc. Please remember that nearly ALL of the ABA is run by volunteers who are mothers and generosly give their time to help others. Very few people in the association get paid. They provide an invaulable service with the helpline,meetings, email counseling etc!!!!! Shame more people don't attend meetings etc. Just a thought!!!!
    I think the ABA is a valuable resource of well meaning women that want to help. But I find their approach of attacking formula and alientating ffing mums can sometimes do the bfing movement a diservice, and the beliefs to why our bfing rates are low are extremely outdated, and TBH way off the mark. As the primary point of bfing support for many women, I believe taking the focus off demonising formula and making mums feel bad, and replacing it with fighting for better professional services and more govt funding for the ABA is a better option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I think the ABA is a valuable resource of well meaning women that want to help. But I find their approach of attacking formula and alientating ffing mums can sometimes do the bfing movement a diservice, and the beliefs to why our bfing rates are low are extremely outdated, and TBH way off the mark. As the primary point of bfing support for many women, I believe taking the focus off demonising formula and making mums feel bad, and replacing it with fighting for better professional services and more govt funding for the ABA is a better option.
    I have to disagree with this. I have a lot to do with the ABA and they deal with all feeding mothers. Of course their main goal is to assist those mothers who want to or are trying to breastfeed and to promote breastfeeding to the community, but formula is seen as a suitable medical alternative and is definitely not 'demonised'. They are always there to support no matter what the choice from exclusively breastfeeding, to mixed feeding or to weaning from the breast completely.

I'm sorry if you have had a bad experience with the ABA to cause this point of view, but I assure you, they exist to HELP not to attack or alienate mums. Even those who formula feed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

proud-mum  (30-10-2011),wrena  (30-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had quite a few experiences with the ABA too and have never come across this kind of attitude and I think trying to say these things and discrediting the organisation's values as a whole due to your obvious negative personal experience is a little unfair.

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!
    Last edited by proud-mum; 30-10-2011 at 09:45.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to proud-mum For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (30-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by proud-mum View Post
    I have had quite a few experiences with the ABA too and have never come across this kind of attitude and I think trying to say these things and discrediting the organisation's values as a whole due to your obvious negative personal experience is a little unfair.

I'm simply giving my opinion. I'm not discrediting their values, their core value of supporting women to bf I 100% agree with. It's how they go about it. If you've had a good experience, that's wonderful, but others sometimes haven't. But just as you have the right to say you think they are great, it is also my right to voice that I think the methods they *sometimes* use alienate women. Doesn't mean I don't agree with what they are trying to achieve....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh don't get me wrong, I totally believe you have the right to an opinion - good or bad, its just the way comments like this:

But I find their approach of attacking formula and alientating ffing mums
    Have been expressed it just makes it sound like you are referring to them as an organisation and the way the treat mothers in general.

Anyway, moving on... I think it's great at the end of the day regardless of our stance on breastfeeding etc that we have similar thoughts on ways of getting things changing... Just wish someone would listen to action the change!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And to add to the above (thanks flaneur) for anyone who's interested... this is a really interesting indepth link based on many studies looking at many aspects of the breastfeeding vs formula feeding child throughout life and from many different health perspectives. It has, been proven time and time again that nothing compares to breastmilk. It's a scientific fact. Not even science can tell all of the benefits yet either, human milk is an amazing thing IMO

http://www.llli.org/docs/Outcomes_of..._June_2007.pdf

PS I think helping to increase knowledge where it is needed is a wonderful thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I 100% agree that BFing needs to be taught in schools as a start to "normalising" it. I've thought along these lines ever since one of my girlfriends (who now has 3 young kids) once said to me that she never breastfed because it felt weird having her children suck at her breast as this is what her husband does when they have sex. WTF.