+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    No but it's a start.
    Very true, but I would love to see more money go to getting more professionals, that's where it's truely needed

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (24-10-2011),share a book  (25-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I was going to reply to say everything you just said The issue isn't that girls/women don't understand the value of bfing. That imo is a huge myth. The reasons so many women ff are what's listed above. I see a huge disconnect with what bfing advocates believe the reason for low bfing rates are, and what the real reasons are. Most are still bogged down in believing women think formula is better, that they don't know how wonderful bm is. They do, thus why 90% of women are bfing in hospital. .
    I disagree actually. Women mostly know that breast milk is Great, but many also see formula as a fine alternative. Until we see breast milk as the norm and formula as an absolute "last resort" we will not see bf rates rise IMO. Yes more support is needed but honestly the need and
    Drive to seek support and take advantage of what is there isn't high when there is an Alternative seen as perfectly good.
    It doesn't have to be either or btw. Why not take lots and lots of steps to help bf,like support, education and cultural change??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    I disagree actually. Women mostly know that breast milk is Great, but many also see formula as a fine alternative. Until we see breast milk as the norm and formula as an absolute "last resort" we will not see bf rates rise IMO. Yes more support is needed but honestly the need and
    Drive to seek support and take advantage of what is there isn't high when there is an Alternative seen as perfectly good.

It doesn't have to be either or btw. Why not take lots and lots of steps to help bf,like support, education and cultural change??
    Who are these women? Not most of the ffing women on bubhub anyways. All you need to do is take a peek in the ffing section and you will see most of us are devastated we can't bf or that bfing didn't work for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Who are these women? Not most of the ffing women on bubhub anyways. All you need to do is take a peek in the ffing section and you will see most of us are devastated we can't bf or that bfing didn't work for us.
    I know what you mean but it seems women on hub hub are generally more educated on Bf etc than women outside the hub. I don't have studies etc sorry but I work in this area and there is no doubt that the majority of women think formula is
    An ok Alternative. It doesn't mean we (and I include myself here) aren't devastated in fact I think part of putting them On Formula requires us to fool ourselves into thinking that they will do As well On it as they would On breast milk.
    Again I think Bub hub is A little world of its own
    I think - It isn't representative IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know what you mean but it seems women on hub hub are generally more educated on Bf etc than women outside the hub. I don't have studies etc sorry but I work in this area and there is no doubt that the majority of women think formula is
    An ok Alternative. It doesn't mean we (and I include myself here) aren't devastated in fact I think part of putting them On Formula requires us to fool ourselves into thinking that they will do As well On it as they would On breast milk.
    Again I think Bub hub is A little world of its own
    I think - It isn't representative IMO.
    I do think its the area you live in as well. Bfing really is far more common where I live than ffing. And I get dirty looks all the time when I ffing - I have gotten lots of comments in the past as well.

I would love someone to do a study or something on different areas and bfing rates!

I am about to move to a regional town- and I have no doubt that I will suddenly become the majority in terms of feeding....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    It is a fine alternative, geez children thrive on formula. bm is better, you aren't going to get an argument from me there, but it's not like ff babies are emaciated, sick kids.

Absolute last resort is subjective. We are never going to win the battle towards increasing rates by making ffers feel bad. I find most ffers pro bfing - I am. In fact I get all fuzzy inside (and a little sad for myself) seeing a bfing baby, it's just beautiful. Even those here that stopped purely by choice or never bf at all say they support it, it's just not for them.

It's frustrating as a pro bfing ffer, bc I see the real issues we face, that I faced and I think the bfing body are totally missing the mark on what the barriers are. When the bfers stand behind us to demand more support services (and some def do) and we stand together rather than opposed, that's when things may change.

eta - the bush has NO support. The ABA and that's it and they couldn't help me. I would have paid private rates to have accessed a LC, but there simply isn't one with hours of where we live. IMO those that do have access get mixed messages, rigid time contraints for assistance and a 'bf at all costs' philosophy which creates terrible pressure.
    Last edited by delirium; 25-10-2011 at 19:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

I am about to move to a regional town- and I have no doubt that I will suddenly become the majority in terms of feeding....
    I have lived regionally most of my life and I have found ffing rates are very high. But I believe it's the lack of support services as I discussed above, rather than a lack of education or laziness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Urgh, it's attitudes like TwoTrunks' ("formula as a 'last resort') that really made me feel terrible when I had to switch to FF. I'm pretty mad now that us FFers are looked down upon and judged. Do people honestly believe that breastfed babies do better than FF ones? That's popular media and ABA exaggerating study results. Everyone's drunk the kool aid.

Instead of BF being taught in schools, just get every pregnant woman to go on BubHub every day leading up to the birth, then they'll get the BF brainwash treatment and start believing that formula is the devil's milk!

I'm being sarcastic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Do people honestly believe that breastfed babies do better than FF ones?
    I honestly believe that breastfeeding, and breastmilk is much superior to formula.

Formula would be my last resort for feeding my child.

There are risks in using formula that outweigh any benefits for me in using it (in my circumstances).

Where no breastmilk is available, and a child needs to be fed, then there is a role for formula.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (26-10-2011),proud-mum  (29-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Urgh, it's attitudes like TwoTrunks' ("formula as a 'last resort') that really made me feel terrible when I had to switch to FF. I'm pretty mad now that us FFers are looked down upon and judged. Do people honestly believe that breastfed babies do better than FF ones? That's popular media and ABA exaggerating study results. Everyone's drunk the kool aid.

Instead of BF being taught in schools, just get every pregnant woman to go on BubHub every day leading up to the birth, then they'll get the BF brainwash treatment and start believing that formula is the devil's milk!

I'm being sarcastic.
    Yeah people do believe it - me for one. And I ff my last two babies from 5 months. Did I feel bad? NO because at the time I had no other option. But I know it was an inferior option, and I know that long term they face implications from that. It makes me sad, but I certainly don't feel bad or guilty, why waste the
    Energy on those? I was lucky to have bf as the norm in my family: I just think all kids should learn this, even if ff.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

wrena  (30-10-2011)