+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't think it matters if people want children or not, it's about normalising breastfeeding in society.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't think it matters if people want children or not, it's about normalising breastfeeding in society.
    I agree, I don't want to be a scientist but I still had to do it at school!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (24-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    100%

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

flaneur  (24-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I don't mind it being taught in biology along with how babies are made just not as a seperate subject.
    Yeah it makes s ense to have it as part of biolog y but I also agree that it s hould be in there nutrition which als o is already taught which means it would n't need to be a whole different s ubject lol that wouldn't make s ens e to make a new s ubject for baby feed ing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    While I do agree with the concept in principle - it is a good way of normalising breastfeeding in society - I think BigRedV has pointed out the most important part as far as I'm concerned.

Most new Mums DO understand the benefits of breastfeeding. Most DO intend to breastfeed ....

However there is a number of issues which I think contribute far more to our low breastfeeding rates.

1) Lack of support for breastfeeding mums. Sleep deprivation is a huge issue, and where we used to have a 'village' where people would help new parents ... now we dont so much.

2) lack of information on what to do when things arent so easy. Its not lack of info about the benefits, but what to do to increase supply, how to avoid/help with cracked nipples, mastitis etc .... its a lack of information on HOW to establish and maintain that breastfeeding relationship.

3) lack of assistance (which is probably a mixture of 1+2). We need properly trained lactation consultants available to everyone. We need midwives who give consistant (and good) information and support. We need GP's who understand how to care for a breastfed baby and a breastfeeding mother instead of advising them to immediately stop breastfeeding.

Some of these issues are as a result of the way breastfeeding is viewed in society .... but mostly I do think our low breastfeeding rates is due to the practical difficulties in actually breastfeeding rather than the lack of education on its benefits or lack if intent to try.
    I was going to reply to say everything you just said The issue isn't that girls/women don't understand the value of bfing. That imo is a huge myth. The reasons so many women ff are what's listed above. I see a huge disconnect with what bfing advocates believe the reason for low bfing rates are, and what the real reasons are. Most are still bogged down in believing women think formula is better, that they don't know how wonderful bm is. They do, thus why 90% of women are bfing in hospital. The real reasons are lack of support when they encounter issues.

Until orgs like the ABA understand that, no bfing classes or bfing info is going to change the stats.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-10-2011)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just dont think school is the right place for such a subject. JMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Danni17 View Post
    I'm actually finding it quite disturbing that so many people seem to be making this all about their negative personal breastfeeding experience (failing BFing, being too pressured or not liking it/ wanting to etc) when it is simply a question on do you think our children should be taught about breastfeeding in school. In no way was it biased or talking about formula feeding in a negative light, it just is what it is - breastfeeding education. It is really saddening how some mothers are already choosing for their child not to be educated in a basic human function purely because of their hang ups or apprehensions about it....

However it is really disappointing that some people have just chosen to take an education about something as important and natural as breastfeeding and twist it to make it about themselves and not having an open mind about the benefits and importance of it from an education purpose. No it won't create miracles but it would help!

Remember formula hasn't been around forever so I think its important to educate our young about our womanly function that was a key to human survival and evolution.

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!
    I didn't read it as people putting their own personal hang ups onto the subject. Some are purely saying that don't believe it should be a subject in itself at school bc they find subjects like maths or english more important. I frankly don't think religion has a place in public schools, others absolutely do. It's not that I hate religion, I just believe my child is wasting their time when they could be learning something of value (only my opinion of course)

It could be argued bfers are bringing their own beliefs into this by automatically believing parents should want this... and for the record, I support it if it's part of sex ed/biology. But as I said, I believe some in the bfing movement are wayyyy off in pinpointing why so many are ffing. But no matter how many times ffers try to tell them, they simply won't take it on board. Until it is, no amount of teaching 4th graders how milk is made is going to change it...
    Last edited by delirium; 24-10-2011 at 14:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I too don't think it is going to solve all breastfeeding problems and magically raise the numbers of breastfeeding mothers, but I do think normalizing it in our youths eyes will go a long way in starting the process, just so they are not so opposed or disgusted by the idea to begin with.

I too agree that there definitely needs to be more support for breastfeeding mothers. Especially in that imperative 6 week stage where so many give up. In my experience that was definitely the hardest and I started to enjoy it more and more as the months passed. Its sad some don't even have the support to get to that point to really make that decision. But if it were accepted in society more, then that would help raise support too, I would think.

I also think it being incorporated into other relevant subjects (ie sex ed) would be sufficient too. it never implied there would be a whole subject devoted to it - not sure where that idea came from!

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!
    Last edited by proud-mum; 24-10-2011 at 15:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I 100% agree it needs to be normalised. That's why I support it. But imo we need to create a positive cycle in society as a whole not just the class room. More support means more women bf for longer, which means children see more bfing which leads to them bfing.

IMO a few hours of how milk is produced isn't going to normalise bfing on a cultural level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I 100% agree it needs to be normalised. That's why I support it. But imo we need to create a positive cycle in society as a whole not just the class room. More support means more women bf for longer, which means children see more bfing which leads to them bfing.

IMO a few hours of how milk is produced isn't going to normalise bfing on a cultural level.
    No but it's a start.