+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Yeah thats a good example actually.
    People just have different opinions as to what they would like to have a qualified teacher educate their child about and what they would prefer to teach them about at home.
    Lol I just went back and deleted that whole paragraph cos I'm too tired to know if throwing religion into a breast feeding debate was such a good idea.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 23-10-2011 at 23:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Lol I just went back and deleted that whole paragraph cos I'm too tired to know if throwing religion into a breast feeding debate was such a good idea.
    I don't see why not.
    There are lots of subjects that could be deemed controversial to talk about in schools- what about the benefits of vaccination? Now I'm a pro-vaxxer but I wouldn't expect everyone to be ok with that being advertised to their child at school.

Some things are just better taught at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I assume breastfeeding would be part of the 'life stages' series or whatever it's called these days. Parents have to give signed permission, and it's taught at age appropriate levels.

Breastfeeding is part of human biology, and it's logical to include it the section on birth, etc. No doubt it would be very brief.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i would've liked to be taught anything at all about how to care for babies when i was at school. the furthest i remember even high school health classes going was contraception.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lemonhead - hmm. I was simply stating an observation, that is all - that you have been the only poster that has replied to almost every post with an answer (yes, all very much against breastfeeding). I don't see how it is a fair call to go as far as saying what you said to me (that has since been deleted as it was completely irrational) when you don't even know me and it's not like I've even pushed my views about bfing once nor attacked you for ffing! If anyone is being OTT it is you. this is about breastfeeding *education* and all my posts have reflected that - i am not sure why you are taking things so personally about this issue?! Far out... RELAX girl

Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i would've liked to be taught anything at all about how to care for babies when i was at school. the furthest i remember even high school health classes going was contraception.
    Totally agree! You would honestly think that at school they would teach at least *something* about parenting - at all! But no, they're to busy teaching the more useful stuff like history and geography :P lol now some of that seemed like a real waste of time!! It is shame as there are parents out there that don't actually teach much of this to their children as they should and then they are left to their own devises with no idea how to take care of babies at all. Sad, really! i agree that I'd prefer to teach my children this stuff at home but as a greater society there are many more children out there that could do with the education due to not getting it at home.

Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!
    Last edited by proud-mum; 24-10-2011 at 14:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think certain aspects of bf should be taught in school such as attachment, cracked nipples, feeding in public, etc, etc. But just the simple "Milk comes from women's breasts and is made for feeding babies" just like "Our fingers bend to enable us to pick things up". It's just a basic human bodily function and could be covered whenever kids learn about the human body.

I find it really sad that in today's society ff is the norm and bf has taken a back seat. However at the same time, today women have the freedom of choice as to how they feed their babies which is fantastic. I just wish that bf wasn't so taboo and maybe changing people's opinions earlier rather than later can help it be considered normal again.

Just my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think its a good idea, it is strange that it isn't already in place. As to feeling icky about it - I had to cut up frogs and I didn't like that, sometimes we have to do things that are icky to learn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    They did that baby doll thingo at my school. Even though it cried at night etc it still made me clucky. Lol.

Guest Guest
    I don't mind it being taught in biology along with how babies are made just not as a seperate subject.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has it even occurred to anyone the fact that some people just dont want kids? What a waste of school time for those that flat out do not want kids....or CANT have kids.