+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 138
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hills District, Sydney
    Posts
    302
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    103
    Reviews
    0
    I'm actually finding it quite disturbing that so many people seem to be making this all about their negative personal breastfeeding experience (failing BFing, being too pressured or not liking it/ wanting to etc) when it is simply a question on do you think our children should be taught about breastfeeding in school. In no way was it biased or talking about formula feeding in a negative light, it just is what it is - breastfeeding education. It is really saddening how some mothers are already choosing for their child not to be educated in a basic human function purely because of their hang ups or apprehensions about it. You talk about issues like teachers being biased but same can be said for sex-ed at school and many other things (goodness ladies - this is about humans feeding babies!!!) but we don't stop that because some are uncomfortable about sex etc!

    However it is really disappointing that some people have just chosen to take an education about something as important and natural as breastfeeding and twist it to make it about themselves and not having an open mind about the benefits and importance of it from an education purpose. No it won't create miracles but it would help!

    Remember formula hasn't been around forever so I think its important to educate our young about our womanly function that was a key to human survival and evolution.


    Sent from my iPhone more than likely while I should be doing something else!

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to proud-mum For This Useful Post:

    Lovemyfam  (24-10-2011),MilkiCuddles  (24-10-2011),trishalishous  (24-10-2011)

  3. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    14,929
    Thanks
    458
    Thanked
    3,015
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danni17 View Post
    I'm actually finding it quite disturbing that so many people seem to be making this all about their negative personal breastfeeding experience (failing BFing, being too pressured or not liking it/ wanting to etc) when it is simply a question on do you think our children should be taught about breastfeeding in school. In no way was it biased or talking about formula feeding in a negative light, it just is what it is - breastfeeding education. It is really saddening how some mothers are already choosing for their child not to be educated in a basic human function purely because of their hang ups or apprehensions about it. You talk about issues like teachers being biased but same can be said for sex-ed at school and many other things (goodness ladies - this is about humans feeding babies!!!) but we don't stop that because some are uncomfortable about sex etc!

    However it is really disappointing that some people have just chosen to take an education about something as important and natural as breastfeeding and twist it to make it about themselves and not having an open mind about the benefits and importance of it from an education purpose. No it won't create miracles but it would help!

    Remember formula hasn't been around forever so I think its important to educate our young about our womanly function that was a key to human survival and evolution.
    Its got nothing to do with my own "hangups" as I actually have none

    Its moreso because (in dot point so its easier to absorb):
    - Its a waste of time because nobody will care or listen like the rest of sex ed.
    - Its a waste of resources.
    - I'm not paying fees to have my kids learn about something I can teach them, or look up on the computer when their time comes.
    - Its not going to help them get into a job or into university.
    - Some people are not comfortable with it being taught to their kids by teachers.

  4. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    on the couch ;)
    Posts
    1,618
    Thanks
    2,240
    Thanked
    461
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Its got nothing to do with my own "hangups" as I actually have none

    Its moreso because (in dot point so its easier to absorb):
    - Its a waste of time because nobody will care or listen like the rest of sex ed.
    - Its a waste of resources.
    - I'm not paying fees to have my kids learn about something I can teach them, or look up on the computer when their time comes.
    - Its not going to help them get into a job or into university.
    - Some people are not comfortable with it being taught to their kids by teachers.
    So presumably you are home Schooling then?? You are intelligent you could teach them to read, spell, do maths, etc etc. And anything more complicated they could "look up on the internet". Why bother paying school fees At all??

    And not to single you out lemon head, but It's beyond me why anyone would actively argue against this suggestion unless they have serious problems with breast feeding altogether. You say this isn't the case but it's hard to believe sorry.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

    Bubbles10  (24-10-2011)

  6. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,064
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it should be part of sex ed along with how babies are made, born and then the natural way they are fed. And, of course, the usual safe sex, std ed etc.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    MsTruth  (23-10-2011),SassyMummy  (23-10-2011)

  8. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjay View Post
    I think it's a good idea but I think it should be in health and nutrition as opposed to sex ed, as it's a food resource for babies.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (24-10-2011)

  10. #96
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,937
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    And not to single you out lemon head, but It's beyond me why anyone would actively argue against this suggestion unless they have serious problems with breast feeding altogether. You say this isn't the case but it's hard to believe sorry.
    Im not against breastfeeding at all and I am strongly opposed to this suggestion.

  11. #97
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    854
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked
    226
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that a 'breast feeding class' in high school, or stretches of time in primary school dedicated to normalising breast feeding us a huge waste of resources.

    In high school, it should be covered in biology as a bodily function.

    In primary school? Maybe when looking at "food" it can be discussed in context.. "so everyone what do babies eat? Sometimes Milk from Mummy sometimes milk from a bottle.." etc etc

    I don't think that teachers telling children that breast is best is going to do anything to increase breast feeding rates. not while dolls are sold with bottles, no picture books or tv shows have women breastfeeding, and especially not when people are made to feel uncomfortable for feeding in public. Unless children see it in normal everyday life, how can it be considered a part of normal behaviour?

  12. #98
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,600
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Someone can oppose this idea without being against breast feeding. I'm not the biggest fan of the idea - I'm skeptical it would do any good and concerned about how it would actually go down in a real classroom environment and I'm still breast feeding my nearly 3 year old. Clearly I don't have any personal issues or hang-ups with breast feeding. (well I say this after a battle of telling Jasper 'sorry baby no booby' as he cried and begged, as I'm currently night weaning him, so HE might disagree, but I have no issues with breast feeding)

    Aside from a basic this is a boob and how it works biology lesson.
    Last edited by Boobycino; 24-10-2011 at 00:07.

  13. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    14,929
    Thanks
    458
    Thanked
    3,015
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    So presumably you are home Schooling then?? You are intelligent you could teach them to read, spell, do maths, etc etc. And anything more complicated they could "look up on the internet". Why bother paying school fees At all??

    And not to single you out lemon head, but It's beyond me why anyone would actively argue against this suggestion unless they have serious problems with breast feeding altogether. You say this isn't the case but it's hard to believe sorry.
    God no, I do want my life back one of these days lol.

    I think teaching about a bodily function like BFing is less complicated than teaching your child year 12 physics.

    I also have no problems with BFing, as long as I don't have to do it. What other people do with their boobs is up to them and their business but I'd prefer it wasn't taught to my child at school thats all, I think its something that can come from a parent, friend, doctor, lactation specialist thats all.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 24-10-2011 at 03:50. Reason: reference to deleted text

  14. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    14,929
    Thanks
    458
    Thanked
    3,015
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I know it's not quite the same thing but if teaching my child about religion - for example - wasn't something I wanted for my children, then surely I'd not cop the same attitude that clearly I should teach my kids to read and write as well.
    Yeah thats a good example actually.
    People just have different opinions as to what they would like to have a qualified teacher educate their child about and what they would prefer to teach them about at home.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

    delirium  (24-10-2011)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 27-10-2013, 00:31
  2. iPad experts
    By millsmum in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 12:30
  3. Tea Experts
    By Hannahly in forum General Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 23:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Little Kickers NSWLittle Kickers was launched in 2002 in the UK and arrived Down Under in 2009. Our motto is “Play not Push” and we ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›