+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default fish?

ok,so I am really craving some fish and chips! Ive just rung the local takeaway and they told me the fish they use is called capensis. Ive never heard of it and cant find any info on it..they told me its very similar to snapper. Anyone know about this fish and if it should be ok to eat it while pregnant? thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it might be this, which is Hake. If you read down several species of capensis are included under the 'Hake' title which is a catch-all title for 20ish species of similar fish. According to this website Hake is safe during pregnancy, but I'd definitely double check as it doesn't specify if all species of Hake are safe (as Hake is a catch-all title, not one species of fish)

I know that some species of capensis are sold as 'grenadier' in fish and chip shops which is misleading because grenadier is actually Macruronus novaezelandiae not carpensis.
    To the best of my knowledge proper blue grenadier is ok too as it's a species of Hake. But again, I'd definitely double check with a reputable website.
    Could you go somewhere else which is a little more clear about the fish they serve? Or maybe call them back and ask if it's the same as Hake or Blue Grenadier?
    Last edited by Berrie; 11-10-2011 at 14:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The whole fish eating thing is about how long lived the fish is. The longer it lives the more mecury it will have in its system. So big fish like shark and tuna, etc have more mercury then something like an anchovy.

If you are going to have fish from the chippery I would just have the one piece and that will be your fish allotment for the week.

Also you think the chippery would know what sort of fish it is too but anyway
    It safe to have....just not in large quantities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    can you not ask for a specific fish?
    All the shops near me have this option - it costs more but you can order snapper, barra etc etc.
    Regardless I think if you only eat a piece and not too much other fish for the week, you should be fine...
    Last edited by Nando; 11-10-2011 at 16:38. Reason: really bad spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    As long as you eat it after it is freshly cooked (not from the bain maree or however it is spelt lol) you are fine.