ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default what would be a deal breaker with houses ur interested in renting?

We are about to start applying for some rentals, they all have there pros and cons but with hardly any rentals around cant afford to be picky!
    THe house we are considering applying for has going for it - Its bigger than what we are in now, which is what i want as im about to have my fourth kid and the more space the better, its $10 a week cheaper than the place im in now, which is great as its alot nicer. quiet neighbourhood which i like... The cons are that its on half a acre and not fenced. The street isnt busy only a couple of houses and its a cul de sac but still no fences worries me.. also with mowing - it will be a mission!! The patio has no roof, and for some reason the place comes with no blinds or curtains or anything..Im sure they would let us install some but still its a cost we cant really afford.. but especially in kids bedrooms- need em! apart from those factors the house is beautiful big and so cheap compared to wat we were expecting to pay and others we've seen. Also we are in a hurry to move and not many rental choices here. WOuld u let those factors stop u from applying or no big deal?
    THanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All those things are fixable so I'd apply. You could get some shade cloths for the patio, curtains are quite cheap on sites like ebay and deals direct. I guess there isn't much you can do in the way of fencing...unless you look into a temporary option but I don't think that's cheap. It sounds lovely .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    small or no yard
    no storage space
    generally really small inside -we have a huge dining room setting, big leather lounge, 3 computers, a big 4 poster bed and generally alot of stuff. We lived in a tiny box about 5 years ago and it was hell. I'd rather an older, less attractive house that is big, than a nicer but shoe box house.
    not fenced in for kids

eta we moved into a place with literally 30 year old tattered rags as curtains. We went to spotlight went to the bargain bin and found some really beautiful material. For a big loungeroom window, 2 bedrooms, a kitchen and the long strips yo cover the glass beside the front door (with about 30 metres of thread) we paid I think $120? and bc they were ours we took them when we moved
    Last edited by delirium; 22-09-2011 at 18:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would not move in there. With kids or pets you need fences. Also the curtain situation would be a problem for me and they are not cheap for anything that looks decent and blocks out prying eyes when you have lights on at night. The big yard would also put me off as I would never manage the upkeep. I struggle with my small lawn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Deal breakers for me:
    1 bathroom that has everything in one room (i.e no separate toilet)
    No built ins
    No off street parking
    No air conditioner
    Very old kitchen & bathroom
    Close proximity to a licensed venue
    Located on a very busy road
    Close to a block of units
    Scummy looking properties next door
    Horrible ancient carpet!

We will be looking to move in about two months ourselves. We rent a lovely house but it's on a busy road close to a club that stays open til 2:30am Fri/Sat night & we put up with lots of noise from passing drunks. That and we have no air con, & I refuse to spend another summer in a hot box!

An acreage sounds pretty damn good to me...oh the serenity!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The no fences thing would get me if the children were very young, or if it posed a security issue with people having easy access around the back of the house.

I made curtains for one place I was in because the ones that were there were too ugly! I got the cheapest blockout material I could find.

My deal breakers would be - poor security/privacy, limited street parking and dodgy real estate agent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally yes they would stop me from applying. The fence is the killer for me.

When we were moving we wrote a list of MUST haves, LIKES and DEAL BREAKERS. It really helped us.

We ended up getting a house with every must have but one deal breaker which is that we have a horrible bathroom!! But it was the only house with ALL our must haves.

Good luck.