+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default TTC #1 with PCOS & low sperm count :-/

Hi Ladies

Just wondering if anyone has had any success with similar cirumstances?

We have been ttc for 22mths & still don't seem to be getting anywhere.. Have had 7 cycles of clomid & are looking to start IVF but sooo nervous!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You'll get there...just keep your chin up go for icsi as apposed to standard ivf. Which is probably what your fs will recommend anyway. You only need a few sperm with icsi, infact you only need as many sperm as the amount of eggs you create. So don't stress you will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hopingforbub2- you said you have had 7 clomid cycles... are they all with IUI too? What kind of count does your hubby have? Are there any other issues such as motility, morphology etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi 1xbabyplease!

No fs has said it's not worth even trying IUI :-(

He wants to do isci but I'm sooo nervous!!! Hubby has low count & motility.. Last test had 75 non-progressive.. Going to do another SA in a few weeks.If the next one is no better (been taking menevit to see if it helps)

Going to change fs though as this one isn't very helpful, we've had a lot of trouble with him.. Going to head to Sydney & find one attached to an Ivf clinic

Thanks
    Reviews
    So you are saying that you have done 7 clomid cycles before your FS did a SA on hubby? If so, that is really poor form and I would definately switch FS. When we started seeing a FS the start of this year he did a SA on Dh because they said it was standard practice even though we knew the problem was with me (PCOS). We had only done one OI cycle when we found out DH had poor count and morphology. We were so shoked but also grateful not to waste time. Since then my DH has had more tests (bloods, SAs and ultrasound) and they found he has an in situ carcinoma in his left testicle. Have they done all those tests for your DH, because some problems they can get help for.

Since taking menevit my husbands count has increased into the normal range, but the morphology problem remains but we have enough to do IUI now when we didnt before- so i hope the menevit works for your DH too.

Its hard when you both have fertility problems We felt cursed before we even started. We will be moving onto IVf after 3 cycles IUI. I agree with Nicole 83 in that when the motility is a prob they usually do ICSI. I have a friend who did that and they have a healthy baby girl, but she didnt have pcos . I think its possible to get pregnant with PCOS and male infertilty but its about getting the right FS to make good decisions. I'm sorry I don't have a personal success story to share with you but thought it might help to know that there are others dealing with shared infertilty. I wish you heaps of sticky vibes

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi hopingforbub 2 i just wanted to tell you we were in exactly the same position as you. I have PCOS, was on metformin and clomid, went through 4 cycles only ovulated twice, both times BFN. The FS switched me to ovulation induction with puregon, then decided to test DH sperm analysis....his count came back at 10million (which is apparently half of what is should be) and from memory he had some issues with morphology too. I was disappointed that his levels hadn't been tested before I went through the four rounds of clomid, there was so much focus on my issues it seemed everyone assumed DH was fine!! FS told us without IVF our chances would have been below 10% to fall pregnant, even when they could get me to ovulate. He suggested going on IVF straight away - I was really reluctant to try for a number of reasons, so decided to give ovulation induction another go. DH went to a naturopath and took all sorts of weird remedies, pills etc. Also, he laid off the caffeine (he used to have a double shot each morning), the next OI cycle we fell pregnant. I'm not saying its that easy for everyone, but there certainly is hope. I really feel for you, and as 1babyplease said, it is SO hard when both of you have problems, you can really feel like it is an impossible task!!

Interestingly, when I was chatting to the FS nurse she said there was a study done on one man who had what was classed as "normal" SA. Over the course of 12 months he would provide a monthly sample for it to be analysed. In this 12 month period, some months were classed as "low count" other months were massively high. So many things can affect the SA analysis, including sickness etc (which apparently affects the results three months after being sick). But what she was saying is, if they would have just seen a couple of results from this guy, they may have thought he had a low count, when in fact over the course of a year it was classed as normal overall.

Please stay positive and investigate all options, sounds like changing FS may be a good idea, and the new FS will be able to give you a fresh perspective on the situation.