+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ignore registries, and as far as I'm concerned wishing wells are for botanical gardens. I couldn't imagine the thought process behind inviting people to enjoy my hospitality and then charging them for the privilege. How mercenary is that?

Gifts are supposed to represent thoughts and feelings, rather than being some kind of bizarre payment in kind. I know exactly how I'd respond if someone handed me an invite with a cheesy poem about what colour banknotes they expect me to give them.

Strangely enough, when we invited people to our wedding it was because we wanted those people to join us in celebrating our special day. Maybe we should have put more thought into how to extract more loot?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (11-09-2011),LoveLivesHere  (11-09-2011),~ElectricPink~  (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I gave $50 because that was all we could afford after spending $120 on fuel & $160 on a hotel room to attend said engagement!

I could say a lot more but I think other hubbers have put a certain person back in their place nicely enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    I ignore registries, and as far as I'm concerned wishing wells are for botanical gardens. I couldn't imagine the thought process behind inviting people to enjoy my hospitality and then charging them for the privilege. How mercenary is that?

Gifts are supposed to represent thoughts and feelings, rather than being some kind of bizarre payment in kind. I know exactly how I'd respond if someone handed me an invite with a cheesy poem about what colour banknotes they expect me to give them.

Strangely enough, when we invited people to our wedding it was because we wanted those people to join us in celebrating our special day. Maybe we should have put more thought into how to extract more loot?
    Mmm... I totally agree.

I love gifts, I love that someone saw that thing and thought of me. I detest gift vouchers and money as gifts.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    But why do you think u need to pay the cost of their catering? They CHOOSE to have the party?
    Exactly, and they are choosing the standard to which you will be eating and drinking. I feel that the old rule of giving the cost of 2 meals doesn't really work very well when you consider the ridiculous premiums that venues charge as soon as there is anything involving a woman in a white dress. The amount that the bride and groom are paying includes things like cakage and chair covers etc, so I have to pay for all of that?

I am actually really offended at the implication that if I can only afford $50 for a gift that I am cheap and shouldn't be there. I'm generous, but poor. So sue me. People often have other expenses involved in attending a wedding, including travelling. I think that you should give what you can. Admittedly I do remember some of the larger gifts of cash that we received, but that is because I was so taken aback by the size of the gift, but none stood out to me as being *stingy*.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-09-2011),MoonGecko  (11-09-2011),~ElectricPink~  (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Geeze if people are expecting alot of money i have no chance at ever attending a wedding in my life.

I would like to think i was invited because they wanted me part of their special day, not out to make a fortune off everyone.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Bubhub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    Each right? So you gave $50 per head? Still less than the $65 for your food and drink. Am I the only one who thinks like this??????

Short and sweet because I sent this from my iPhone.
    I actually agree with you. We always give at a minimum what we think it would have cost for our food/drink, more for close family & friends.

I actually prefer wishing wells instead of gifts (but not for a 1st bday like a PP mentioned!!!) Makes it easy (especially if I don't know them super well - ie. Work colleagues, family you only see at family events)

I do think it's a bit strange to put on an engagement invite but then again, depends on what it was and how formal. If it's a catered, sit down meal type thing I think it's probably ok. If it's a BBQ in someone's backyard, probably in bad taste to mention a wishing well.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Geeze if people are expecting alot of money i have no chance at ever attending a wedding in my life.
    You just have to think laterally. Nip through the KFC drive-trough on the way and pick up a Dinner Box, then take it with you, drink only water and share your chips with the table. If you're supposed to cover your own meal by the end of the night you'll end up being OWED money.

Problem solved!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (11-09-2011),LoveLivesHere  (11-09-2011),RainbowSky  (11-09-2011),~ElectricPink~  (11-09-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    You just have to think laterally. Nip through the KFC drive-trough on the way and pick up a Dinner Box, then take it with you, drink only water and share your chips with the table. If you're supposed to cover your own meal by the end of the night you'll end up being OWED money.

Problem solved!
    Kfc tastes better than some wedding foods I've had anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchiesMummy View Post
    Ha ha are u serious. I had 60 people attend my wedding and not once did I sit there calculating who was paying their way - that is beyond tacky.

I personally think its expensive enough for people to attend weddings as it is.
    I love this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Awesome View Post
    I'm not sure about the whole wishing well idea in general. If this is an option at a wedding I attend, I usually put gift cards in the wishing well....I hate giving cash. I was invited to a wedding once where the poem in the invitation about the wishing well specified that although the bride and groom were happy with "yellow" notes, "green" notes were their favourite. WTF?!?!? Rude imho!
    Omg!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast