+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I recently attended a engagement party with a wishing well & it didn't cross my mind that asking for money was rude. The couple had a fairly large party at a function centre & I know it cost them about $65 per head (& they invited about 120 people). They are getting married in Fiji so the actual wedding will be small, hence the big engagement celebration.

We gave $50

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would put in what ever you would pay for and engagement gift. depending on the relationship for me it would range from $25-$50

I have heard the rule
    Of thumb for a wedding tho is you give(as gift/money) what your meal would cost $50-$100+

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I recently attended a engagement party with a wishing well & it didn't cross my mind that asking for money was rude. The couple had a fairly large party at a function centre & I know it cost them about $65 per head (& they invited about 120 people). They are getting married in Fiji so the actual wedding will be small, hence the big engagement celebration.

We gave $50

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would depend on who it was but yeh $50 sounds good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im another who thinks wishing well for an engagement is SUPER rude!!!

One for a wedding is fine! But Engagement is just greedy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    50 is more than enough!

I was invited to a engagement party with the note saying blah blah blah we have everything so we're doing a wishing well etc. So I gave $$ then came the wedding and they had a gift registry?? Oh, I thought you had everything already.... I thought it was a bit odd but whatever :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me it would depend on who they were, for family 50 would probably be ok friends I'm not sure but for an engagement that sounds odd.,

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I dont like wishing well's for engagement- especially if the couple is then going to have a wishing well for their wedding as well!!!! It's like double dipping. They will prob expect more at the wedding too! I think $50 is fine!!!
    I had a wishing well for my wedding- not engagement, and only because we had lived together for yrs, had everything we needed etc. The money went towards paying for our honeymoon. We had an engagement party but wanted no gifts at all!
    My friend recently had a wishing well at engagement and her wedding and had a bridal shower as well...i just felt this was greedy :P But thats my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=waterlily;

One for a wedding is fine! But Engagement is just greedy!!![/QUOTE]

so you wouldn't have an engagement party?!?

We had a wishing well at both our engagement party & our wedding.

We had one at out engagement party because it was our engagement/going away party & we were moving 5hrs away the very next morning. So it was impossible to pack a car full of presents. And we told people what our intentions were with the $$.

We were using it to set up our new house as we sold our previous house (the one we were moving from the nxt morning) fully furnished.

So we had a wishing well so that we could buy some nice furniture & household items that would last years & stuff we'd actually use rather than an ugly vase or something that'd just sit in the cupboard.

When I'm giving gifts I'd rather give something they want like a gift registry or a wishing well. I'd hate to spend hours looking for a gift I think they may like only for them to hate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, wishing well at an engagement is very presumptuous (sp??) Meanwhile, we are invited to a 1st birthday party (yes, a 1st birthday ) with the invitation specifically saying 'no obligation, but we are having a wishing we'll if you would like to make a contribution'. ...W..T..F???!!??!!