+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Lightbulb my daugher has a weak suck reflex, uncoordinated swallow and a high palate

Hi all,

found out my DD isnt a fussy feeder, speech pathologist has told us she has a weak suck reflex, uncoordinated suck swallow and a high palate. This has been the root of our feeding problems.

Apparently 25% of babies will have feeding problems. She said it was common. We have exercises we have to do with DD and her tongue. So far her tolerance level is quiet low for it at the moment. Hopefully it will get better and she will iimprove.

The speech pathologist said she gets a better seal on the wide neck, but we are getting better volume into her using the standard neck pigeon bottles. But we have cut the hole bigger in the variable flow teat. She said to try wide neck (M) medium teats but Im not sure they will work with the thick Novolac Reflux formula.

The speech path also described our DD to a tee. She said have you found you try other teats or bottles only to find they work for around a fortnight and then she starts acting up again. And that was exactly what was happening.

She said the changing of the teats was just a stop gap measure. And that it wasn't fixing the problem. The problem is her weak suck. Get that stronger and it wouldnt matter what teat we used.

I have also found out that you can seek out a dietician to help with problems with feeding too. They can prescribe you something to add to the formula to add calories without increasing volume.

We found out our DD will never be a 200ml+ drinker but if her weight stabilises then we can ask the advice of a dietician to add calories to her bottle without increasing volume. That puts my heart and mind at ease.

we are also getting our paediatrician to give her the once over, to check for cows milk intolerance, and take wee and poo samples. This is on the advice of the speech pathologist.

I would encourage anyone having troubles with getting their child to drink the bottle or breast to seek out a speech pathologist to see if there are any coordination troubles or palate issues. As we just thought our daughter was fussy.

Poor thing isnt fussy she doesn't have the suck reflex to draw the milk out. Poor thing.

Anyanka

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hope now that you have the exercises to do she gets stronger and feeds better. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

Anyanka  (28-08-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thats nice thank you. I hope so too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey Anyanka,

DS has an incoordinated swallow and poor sucking reflex. It all improved with exercise, however everytime he is sick or after his vaccinations things go downhill for a while. I usually start the exercises again and things improve after a week or two.

We saw a dietitian too, and got given Polyjoule (the calorie powder you mentioned), which we used for a while until DS was maintaining his weight. I don't use it anymore and DS has been fine for a while now.

With regards to the CMPI, DS started on Neocate and we found that really helped. Previously we'd tried numerous different formulas which initially worked, then all the feeding problems started after a few weeks. We have also tried many different bottles and similar to you, they worked for a few weeks and then the issues started again. The ones we've found work consistently are the cheap narrow neck bottles, which we just use with Tommee Tippee teats as DS struggles to suck with the cheap (softer) teats.

Hope things improve for you both soon. It's not nice for your bub, but is equally distressing for you. Hang in there - it does get better!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Anyanka  (29-08-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so happy that other people on here have responded to say that they have had troubles too. It makes me feel like Im less alone.

Anyanka

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let us know how you get on. I found those exercises to be a pain in the ar$e!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The exercises are a pain in the butt to do but after speaking to the dietician I found the reason why to keep doing them. You baby will get better in half the time than if you don't do them.

Also asked the dietician why she couldnt have increase calorie formula. Im stating this so other will know...

You can't use the formulas like pedisure on children under 1yrs old because it loads their kidneys up too much!!!

The dietician gave us a unique formula ratio designed for our specific formula that increases the calories without making it a highly concentrated formula ratio that would be dangerous and toxic for her kidneys.

Each formula has a different ratio so Im not putting ours up here. We are on Novolac formula. Other formulas will have a different ratio.

Anyanka

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you're seeing a dietitian. Ours has been brilliant and so helpful - we're back there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got met with huge resistance from my local early childhood centre for getting her bare weighed. Oh she is an older baby.blah blah blah.

I stated she has a high palate, weak suck, unco-ordinated suck swallow, only drinks between 50ml - 150mls. Flippin dumb a$$ nurse said she looks healthy she isnt under weight maybe she only needs 50mls. arggghhh which flippin child would put on weight if they only drank 50mls at a time. Really come on now use your common sense. Luckily she is currently drinking 100mls -150mls so thats improved. Our dietician concentrated her formula. Which the Early childhood nurses said she doesn't need. Flippin crap!!!! Her weight stabilised and the crosses on the growth chart instead of following the curve started to go flat.

The dietician wants fornightly bare weighs and so does the paediatrician.thats why Im coming you dumb nurse!!!

Oh and I told her on the advice of the dietician we are to start feeding her at 5 months 3 times a day to be met with a blurb on blah blah blah you know you should only start at 6 months the NSW health states blah blah blah...well ya know what thats for a baby who is drinking well. arghhh. I happen to believe the dietician not you.

Oh and I had to wake her one hour early to make this appointment and nurse wondered why she was $hitty, I said she shouldnt be up yet. She only went down at 9:30am I had to wake her at 10:30am to go to the appointment. To which she replied yes she should be up for 2 hours. Im like not my child, she will get super $hitty. She only started staying up for 1.5hours as of a week ago. She said I need to push her to 2 hours. I told her she could do that with her children and I will do what I do with mine. I don't think she liked that.

As for tummy time, she states it must be for a minimum of 15mins. P off. If my child gets $hitty after one minute I leave it at that. And sometimes she is happy with 10mins you just have to judge it at the time.

then she gives me a lecture about leaving your baby on the change table she might start to roll. I got the blue book for her at her request, all the while LEAVING ONE HAND on my child. I didn't leave her!!! She said don't do it at home...I said I don't have a change table I use the floor!!! To which she shut up.

blah blah blah is your child rolling she should by now. Well she has sort of started trying going from her back to tummy but as soon as she realised she would end up on her stomach she stopped. lol. each child is different for gods sakes.

Fek me it sounds like me coming for a bare weigh for 15mins is too much work for them. So I found a chemist locally that is more than happy for me to bare weigh her and thats where I will go from now on. And the nurse understands why I need the weighs. Thank god.

and guess what Im not even going to ring the other place to cancel. Im not giving them the time of day after the questioning today and the resistance from them.

Anyanka.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby struggling to suck

I have the exact same issue with my 3 month old. Any speech pathologist you recommend? Thanks