+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Question Tell Me About Your Social Induction

With the logistics of DH's job (FIFO in the mines) we are not sure how it's going to work for him being able to make it home for the birth. He may be starting a new job soon which will mean he won't have a lot of annual leave time acrued by the time we come around to baby's EDD in mid January, and I would rather he use those holidays for once bub has actually arrived.

So I am thinking that perhaps having a social induction may be the way to go..at least we can plan (to some extent) and book for when DH is home on his week/s off work. I've heard mixed things about being induced and being my first baby I really have no idea about what to expect when it comes to birth.

So tell me about your social induction. Why did you decide to do it? How long was your labour? Give me all the details....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have a social induction however I was induced for going over dates. Personally, I would book in for an elective Caesar if I had the choice again. I ended up having an epidural and needed an emergency caesarean which is apparently quite common. I wouldn't say it was awful or anything (I'm an optimist!) but afterwards was pretty crap and I was unable to breastfeed. Seriously, if it were me I would go the civilised option and shelve the induction and have a caesarean. Obviously just my opinion so don't shoot me down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a social induction (prior loss at 22w and was on edge just needing to hold my baby) and it was great!!

My cervix was already 3-4 cm due to IC so it was a pretty easy induction...

Waters were broken and things got moving, we had the syntocin drip to get things really going.

My OB was more than happy to do it given our circumstances..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced for both mine for medical reasons and had no problems with it. I did have DD booked for a social induction - but she wasnt listening and needed to come out earlier any way. I had 12 and 15 hours labours - but had an epi both times so was in no pain. Will your doctor let you do it - some dont.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for sharing ladies. Interesting to hear others perspectives.

I have an appointment with my ob in a week so will be discussing it with her then.

Anyone else wanna share??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    *bump* for the night time Hubbers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I had a social induction at 39W 2D
    DS was due the day after DH bday and I just wanted to keep them a bit apart.
    We went in to the hospital at 8pm, had gel inserted at 10pm by 11pm I had some weird pains, DS heart rate dropped and I started getting contractions full on and on top of each other. They the started to scoop the gel out but it was too late it had been absorbed. They gave me 2 sleeping tablets & told me to go to sleep for the proper induction in the morning. As soon as I swallowed those tablets my water broke.... All by themselves!
    My contractions were full on from the moment they broke. By 12.15pm I was I full blown labour although only dilated 2.5cm. The middy said I'd be there for a while. At about 2am i said things felt different, they checked and in the 20 mins since they last checked i had dilated to 10!
    I pushed for 2 hours before DS finally arrived at 4.10am drug free, with delayed cord clamping.
    I had a great birth wouldn't change a thing! Induction wasn't nearly as and as I had read or though.
    Good luck'!!!!!!!!

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was induced. And I'll be honest. Keeping in mind i only have 1 bub and have only experienced labour via induction.. I'd NEVER opt for it EVER.

It was horribley forced and I labored for 12hours. DD got stuck = cutting = forceps.

I was on morphine for 3 days afterwards due to pain.

If you have the option to birth naturally I'd definatly pick that over a forced induction anyday (even if that ment DH had to miss out on it. Sorry. But I never want to go through another induction ever again)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My three were all induced.
    #1 was ten days over
    #2 was for my medical reasons at 38.5 weeks
    #3 at 39.5 weeks - DH's dad was given weeks to live and we wanted them to meet

All three inductions were absolutely fine although #3 was a three hour push.

I had slight tearing with #1 and none at all with the other two.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thank you for sharing ladies. Sounds like there are mixed reviews. I think I will have a chat to my ob and get her thoughts.

I really don't want DH to miss out. We have been through so much to get to this point and I would hate for him to miss the birth. I also don't have anyone one I would feel comfortable with having as a support person so if DH wasn't there I would be on my own which really scares me!!