+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question Any one here Home school teens

My DD has adhd and i am considering homeschooling her. she is falling through the cracks in the education system, her self esteem is getting lower. She isnt emotionally ready for highschool nor is she academically. i would say her math is at a 4 or 5th grade level and she is never going to keep up with her peers. She has always been the outcast, the picked on kid with few friends. The school are trying to make it seem like its the worst thing i could do but i have researched and she will still have pathways to further study, we have joined HS support groups, she is excited. i think its the best thing for her and i have little doubt we will see improvements. Im scared though, scared i'll stuff it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do think that just sending her to a regular school would be a problem since your kid needs special attention. Home schooling is good since that is what you believe in. I suggest other schools that cater to your needs. For example the White Mountain School. They allow admission of students that has ADHD or other learning disabilities. They have staffs that will help by focusing on them so that they won't fall behind with the lessons. Check it out if you are interested to know more about the school.
    Last edited by Maureenia; 15-05-2012 at 23:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Dallasmum,
    If Homeschooling works for your lifestyle and your DD is keen I think it is the best possible thing you could do for her. I was homeschooled from primary school age til year 11 so it's hard for me to comment on whether school is a positive thing in general or not, but certainly in your case it sounds as though it clearly is not. It's great you have homeschooling support groups in your area, too. I'd really recommend reading some unschooling/natural learning type books to give you confidence that you don't have to be a teacher for your child, just facilitate her learning. We had minimal input into our learning from our parents but all excelled at uni and in our chosen careers. My DP has ADHD and really struggled academically and socially through highschool but then loved year 11 and 12 and uni where he got straight HDs. As an adult, the ADHD now means that he's super energetic and full of life and is one of the most popular and enthusiastic people I know.
    Best of luck to you. If your sig is anything to go by, you're not someone who fails at things she puts her mind to (just wow!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 12yo is unschooling, after starting high school. The school had very little focus on academics, but concentrated on obedience and it left us feeling our only option was to homeschool. The school was not happy and advised us against it because she was their best student. At the end of the day we know it was the best option. There are so many opportunities out of school, its worth it. My 8yo is at primary school but wont be attending a main****** high school. If he still wants to go to school, we will look at a community school where he can do independent study.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk