+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Night time toilet training for 3 1/2 year old. Tips please....

My 3 1/2 year old is fully toilet trained through the day but has trouble at night. She can go up to a week with out wetting the bed but will then have 3 or 4 nights in a row where she does. At the moment we restrict her fluid intake after dinner. She does a wee before she goes to bed. If she wakes through the night and calls out to us we put her on the toilet (even if she says she doesn't need to we make her and she almost always does a wee). My DH has threatened to put her back in 'pull ups' at night as he is sick of washing sheets but she insists that she wants to wear her 'undies'. We reward her with a treat in the morning or a star on her rewards chart and make a HUGE fuss that she has 'dry undies'.

We have tried to put her on the toilet just before we go to bed around 10.30 but she is that asleep she is totally non responsive (she is a heavy sleeper). If she does wake a little she is only half awake and gets really scarred and has no idea where she is (so don't want to try that again)

Any ideas's anyone. Is there something we have not tried?
    Thanx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't force it. It will come with time. Some children are in nappies at night well after your child's age.

If she is a heavy sleeper then that could be the reason she is wetting in the night. That will only take time to fix as her brain needs to be able to understand the "I need to wee" signal and wake her up. For heavy sleepers this can take time.

I wouldn't push her. She is doing well! She is on 3 1/2 and dry nights only come with time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanx Cheerilee (my daughter would love your piccie!)
    You are right. I think it does have something to do with her heavy sleeping (most of the time!). Just wondering if there was anything I was missing. Maybe just time LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was exactly as you described your DD.... And I mean exactly!
    She was day trained by two and now at 4.5 she still wets every now and then, maybe once a fortnight. Nothing we tried helped and we tried all the things you have.
    And as you said it would come in phaSes, she would stay dry for nights, weeks even, and then wet several nights in a row frustrating!

But in hindsight I should have been more patient because she really did (and still does) need to grow out of it.
    I use a mattress protector kind of like a brolly sheet that goes over her fitted sheet, so I only usually have to change her and her clothes as most of the time the wee hasn't touched the other sheet or doona. She has even changed her own some nights! We have two of them in case she wet two nights in a row.
    You may also find as the weather warms up that she wets less... My DD has always wet more in colder months.
    Good luck, I know the washing and sleep disturbances are annoying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Themissingpiece
    We have a mattress protector under her fitted sheet (just like a fitted sheet but cloth on one side and waterproof on the other side). What a good idea to have it on top of the fitted sheet!! Thank you!! Will be nice if she has more dry nights in the warmer weather. I guess its all about patience then??? I can do that lol