+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I attempted a VBAC, which failed. Ended up with another c-section due to failure to progress. Things just seemed to slow down once I got to hospital. I do think it had a lot to do with the monitoring and the fact I couldn't move. I was really too scared to say no to anything because I am a pessimist and couldn't help but focus on all the things that could go wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With my VBAC, I rocked up at the hospital, with contractions 2 mins apart, lasting 1min each and I had already been labouring at home for 24hrs

I refused a canula as there was no reason for one, though I did end up agree to have some IV fluids as I was getting dehydrated so a canula went into my hand, but definitely a big fat NO to an epidural canula, there weren't getting near me with one of those things!

I refused continuous monitoring, but I was monitored for about my first 15mins at the hospital, and another 15mins about an hour or two later and again while I was pushing, which was fine with me as I wasn't moving around during these times.

I refused routine internals but did consent to 2 of them, once when I first arrived and one a few hours later.

They did want to put a fetal scalp monitor on DS1's head because I refused the continual monitoring, but I refused that too (no one was screwing anything in to my newbies head!) and then I had the "dead baby" card pulled on me, it was bollocks and I told them so

So for a total of a 32hour labour, 24hrs of those were completely untouched as I was at home, and the 8hrs I was in hospital were pretty low intervention, but it was still a bit of a fight at some points, having to repeat my self that YES I was sure I didn't want XYZ and that yes I DID know the risks blah blah blah but all in all, it was pretty great for a hospital VBAC!
    Last edited by Lillynix; 08-08-2011 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StopTheMadness View Post
    I attempted a VBAC, which failed. Ended up with another c-section due to failure to progress. Things just seemed to slow down once I got to hospital. I do think it had a lot to do with the monitoring and the fact I couldn't move. I was really too scared to say no to anything because I am a pessimist and couldn't help but focus on all the things that could go wrong
    This sounds exactly like my first VBAC attempt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This has been an extremely interesting and informative thread so thanks CluckySC for adding it (and apologies for hijacking along the way!).

I just had an OBs appointment and talked all about this and I am totally relieved!

They are against internals unless absolutley necessary. They are against constant fetal monitoring and prefer the intermittent monitoring so at least I can get up and move around. They would prefer if I labour at home as long as I can. They are also happy to let me go past the 42 week mark as long as bubs (placenta, etc) is fine.

They did say yes definatley write up a birth plan but make provisions in it if things dont go how I want so at least I have a say if things progress the other way.

For example...if I am labouring and not getting far and they do the drip I can opt for an epi straight away or go straight for a c/s....up to me!

So grateful for all the info....I think I was beginning to scare myself or doubt myself...like it was all so hard.

I really want this but worried that as I went to 42 weeks and was induced with DS1 (ended up in respiratory arrest and was intubated...DP thought I had died as they threw DS1 at him and chucked him out of the theatre for an hour) and was 39 weeks and planned c/s with DS2 that I simply wont go into labour and all the probs that happened with DS1 will happen again.

*sigh* It should be such an easy thing to do but having babies is such hard work! I so envy the women that have the spontaenous labours and the babies just slide out after 2 hours of labour.

Guest Guest
    In regards to when you should go to hospital, I had planned to stay home for as long as possible, but ofcourse it didn't turn out that way because I was already there. But then looking back I was glad I was there because I progressed so quick and I needed to get in a zone, if I was home I think I would have worried what time it was and about the car ride etc.
    Also (which happened the first time) I had a horrible show right until the end, so I was constantly bleeding everywhere and I was on the toilet for half my labour!!! So yeah being in the hospital made me feel secure.
    I think for that part I wouldn't worry too much, you'll know when the time comes what you want and when it's time to go