+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Refusing continuous fetal monitoring/canula etc in VBAC

I'm due with this belly babe in November and am planning a VBAC.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading and have decided I want to say no to a canula and to continuous fetal monitoring during labour. I may also refuse routine internals, though I'm still deciding this. I'd be fine having *an* internal, but ultimately it wont make a difference in when my baby would be born, so I fail to see the point. I also plan to labour at home for as long as I can and I will have a doula.

When I have spoken to my Ob about VBAC he has been supportive of me going 'postdates' (if that happens, I have a chance of preterm labour this pregnancy) up to 43 weeks, and has said he has no problems with me refusing a canula and is perfectly happy for me to show up at hospital with contractions three min apart or so and he thinks that's all a good idea. But routine internals and continuous fetal monitoring is considered absolutely standard for VBAC at this hospital... am wondering the kind of response I'll get if I say no

Has anyone refused these for their VBAC? And if so were the midwives/Ob/Dr's supportive or did they go out of their way to scare or pressure you? Would love to know experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Clucky- I will be doing pretty much what you have said. I will be interested in what others have done....

Guest Guest
    Yes I refused all this, the midwifes were fine and supportive, the dr did insist at a point where I couldn't talk so my doula and dh were refusing for me and my doula made sure everyone who entered my room read my birth plan. In the end they needed an answer from me which was a stern NO and that was fine. I mean in all seriousness they can't force anything on you, you just have to be vocal and stand your ground, because there will be a point where you'll be in pain and unable to talk and can easily agree to things (well that's how I felt anyway)
    So they just used the doppler occassionaly, I never had internals only at the beginning to see if I was in labour and that's it. No canula, no drugs for the 3rd stage, my birth plan was followed exactly and my birth plan was very very detailed!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So glad you got the birth you wanted Can I ask if you laboured at home for a while first?

My doula will definitely be helping me word up a birth plan, and I have an opportunity at 30 weeks to give it to the hospital midwives at a pre admission appt too. Though not sure how that will go or if there will be pressure there.

With my Ob I've found if there has been pressure for things if I could quite studies or stats he would usually back down or even do a complete turn around, so will make sure I'm armed with those.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi CluckySC,

I'm due in Nov as well and attempting a VBA2C so interested in what others have to say but I do have one question.....why are you refusing a canula?

Just curious and not trying to be antaganistic....just curious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Didn't take it as antagonistic, don't worry!

Just because I find them incredibly uncomfortable and in my mind it will make me feel like I'm prepped to go into surgery, which isn't the outcome I want.
    I had an emergency cs with DS1 when he went into distress after induction and the getting me to theatre part was very rushed - they still had no problem inserting the canula, it took them about 10 seconds and didn't hold anything up at all, so I can't see why I'd need to have one annoying the hell out of me for hours when I probably wont need it

Have you got a supportive hospital for your VBAC2 or are you planning a homebirth? I know the hospital where I'm birthing is generally supportive of them but understand a lot of places are more difficult. I hope you've found somewhere that's being encouraging.

Guest Guest
    I was actually already at the hospital when I went into labour, it wasn't expected! I was getting a ctg done and it was about 9pm in the emergency room and my contractions started. It was about a 5hour labour all up. So I didn't get to do all the things I planned like labour at home, and I didn't get a labour suite till almost the end so no time to use water or the bath, fitball etc. But I still had all my tools like my tens machine and my doula was there straight away and she helped me meditate and set my room up with music. So yeah I was lucky in a way that I was left alone and didn't have anyone like a dr checking on me constantly, I only had 1 midwife and then the one that delivered me and they were happy to do whatever I wanted.
    I went public, and they were really supportive of vbacs, I also never really saw the same person, which was good cause I didn't have anyone telling me what I could and couldn't do iykwim? They made a big deal like I was always called a vbac and I knew the standard restrictions like the canula, constant monitoring etc. but when the day came all the big deal was for nothing because I wasn't treated any different or forced into anything and infact I had more monitoring when it was my first and I wasn't a vbac? So 9 months of agonising and it turned out all good. Ofcourse I feel lucky aswell, I know some people aren't as lucky.
    I think it's good to be prepraed and getting a doula is great, if you know what you want and have your birth plan you'll do great, and ofcourse be prepared for the unexpected

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi CluckySC,

Thanks!! (and thanks for picking up on my spelling....I knew I got that one wrong ).

I do see what you mean in that regard. I hate the canula....its so irritating and just seems to get in the way and if you are labouring for a while it would be quite annoying. I just thought there may have been some secret birthing thing I was unaware of.

And yes hospy and OB is very supportive of me trying for the VBA2Cs. It took me a while to find a hospital and OB that would so I know I have been lucky.

I suppose what has been playing on my mind (and apologies for hijacking your thread) is that after reading what a lot of women are doing in preparation for their VBs and VBACs and all the stuff they are saying no to, I keep wondering if I am missing something and if I too should be saying no.

For example, I am ok with internals (obviously I dont want stacks but dont mind within reason), I am ok with fetal monitoring as long as I can get up and move around, I was ok with the canula as I thought it would save them time (but if I can refuse that is just awesome). I dont have a doula or a mid wife.....and hadnt thought about writing up a birth plan until now.

So am I missing something? Am I missing a crucial part of the birth process that because I am ok with stuff that everyone seems to be saying no to will I hinder my ability to VB?

Just trying to get as much info as possible so advise is great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth? It's such a fabulous birth book. I'll see if I can find some good links but there're definite advantages to avoiding too many internals. I haven't had a VBAC but for DD's birth I didn't have any internals and I definitely intend to do the same next time. You all sound wonderfully informed and I really hope you get your dream births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have strep B? just asking as this is why i had to have a canula with my 3rd( , never diagnosed with no.2 and he got bad infection at birth, stopped breathing and ended up in neo natal for a week on IV....no not trying to scare just bad experience with no.2 AFTER birth...but healthy 7 year old now).But if you don't have it then definatley refuse. Im lucky enough to have 3 natural deliveries and was adament each time what i wanted. I also said minimal internals after too many with first ( oww the pain) and hospital was fine. I have many friends who have had c-secs and gone on to have many vbacs....close friend had her 3rd vbac last year. It is your birth and you should call the shots and them there just for backup. I can fully understand the canula thing as a reminder of the csec. I went public and found them highly supportive of what I wanted. I so hope you get the labour and birth you want.