+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dark haired children- what colour is your and your DH's hair?

So I'm wondering how common/uncommon it is to actually have a true dark haired child when most have light brown or blonde hair.
    Both my kids have blonde hair which I guess was to be expected as both me and my ex have blonde hair (though mine has gotten darker while his hasn't).

This time my DP has dark brown hair- but had sandy blonde up until he was 2-3yrs of age which got steadily darker after that.

Do you have Dark haired kids (preferably older than 2yrs) what colour hair do you and your DH/DP have?

Hoping for dark hair this time round- but won't care if they turn into another blondy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a natural red head and DH is dark but he's Asian and that is a pretty hard gene to over ride.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a natural blonde (gone darker over the years) whilst DH had light hair as a toddler and then went dark. My oldest and youngest were born with dark brown hair and have both kept it (they're now 9 and 2.5).

My middle two are blondies

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had golden blonde hair until I was 3, I was 4 when it got really dark, it's a very dark golden brown to be often mistaken for almost black when not in a light to show my natural golden highlights.

dh had white blonde hair (he's half german) until he was 7-10yo then went a sandy brown colour and got progressively darker it's now a medium sandy brown.

At a family reunion on the german side out of close to 30kids only 4 had something other than the white blonde hair where it was clearly a stronger gene over riding, 2 red heads, a brunette and DS (then 13mo) was golden blonde he now at 7 has brown hair kind of dark mousey/medium golden brown though.

Dd1 5.5yo, was also golden blonde but a little lighter is so far staying golden blonde and just going a little darker.not too sure what she'll be.

Dd2 has light brown hair again it's kind of golden.

Dd3 hasn't got much hair yet as she's 10mo(not unusual in our family) but seems lighter than the others so far will see how it goes once it starts growing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have dark brown hair, my partner red (I like to claim it's "strawberry blonde").

My son was born with brown-ish hair. It fell out and grew back dark blonde, but it's rapidly darkening. He's almost 3 and it's dark blonde, light brown.

Given that my son has dark brown eyes, I anticipate he will have medium to dark brown hair.

Genetics are weird though. I have very curly hair, and my partner has slightly wavy hair, but our son's hair is dead straight. The only grandparent with straight hair is my mum. Weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hair sounds similar to yours, and my ds1 (5yrs) biological dad has the darkest of dark hair possible, and my son got his dark brown eyes but the hair is somewhere in between mine and his and is a light brownish colour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband has very very very dark brown hair (almost black), mine is a very dark mousy brown colour. DD1 has beautiful dark brown hair, DD2 has blonde hair (which I can only assume comes from my mum), although she had lots of black hair when she was born, and its gradually lightened, and DS has dark brown hair. My husband is Aboriginal so I thought all our kids would have dark hair so our blondey in the middle is a bit of a surprise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    My husband has very very very dark brown hair (almost black), mine is a very dark mousy brown colour. DD1 has beautiful dark brown hair, DD2 has blonde hair (which I can only assume comes from my mum), although she had lots of black hair when she was born, and its gradually lightened, and DS has dark brown hair. My husband is Aboriginal so I thought all our kids would have dark hair so our blondey in the middle is a bit of a surprise!
    My step mum is Maori so we were all quite surprised when out popped my blonde haired, blue eyed little sister! Obviously my fathers genes are very strong

I love the randomness of it all!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiekitty View Post
    I am a natural red head and DH is dark but he's Asian and that is a pretty hard gene to over ride.
    Oddly enough DD is a blondey even though DH is Chinese
    I was blonde, but am now dark reddish brown as I got older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have dark dark brown hair and dh is blonde. My children have brown hair.