+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default She won't eat dinner grrrr!

I've been cooking a beef casserole in the slow cooker all day - it was simply divine. DD wouldn't eat it, so I made her some pasta with carrot, tomato, beans and baby spinach with a yummy lemon and mayonnaise dressing. She still refuses to eat grrrr she is driving me insane.

She was complaining about being hungry just after 5 dinner was on the table at 5.30 and she refused. Just spent another 20 minutes cooking pasta and she still refuses.

Is it really bad to send her to bed with no dinner? She's now asking for a sandwich but that's not dinner! She hasn't had veggies today!

Any advice would be much appreciated

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If it was me I wouldn't have offered a second option to what I served. My kids were very fussy eaters and quickly learnt after I cracked it that if they dont eat what's served then too bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by StretchmarkBarbie View Post
    If it was me I wouldn't have offered a second option to what I served. My kids were very fussy eaters and quickly learnt after I cracked it that if they dont eat what's served then too bad
    I know it was bad lol. Normally she just eats whatever I give her so this is relatively new territory! And normally I wouldn't have time to make a second meal so it's a non-issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our house you eat what your served or there's the option of fresh veges, yoghurt or fruit.

I'm not a short order cook, I don't make multiple meals.

Tonight my DD (she is 28 months) refused the lasagna, she is eating corn on the cob, lettuce and carrot sticks for dinner. If she is still hungry later she might have a piece of toast, or I will reoffer the lasagna and it might be eaten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Serve her dinner, if she doesnt eat it she gets nothing...my DD (2.5 years) when through this phase. the best advice i got was...toddlers wont starve themselves, they eat when they're hungry. Serve her up the family meal and if she doesnt eat it, tough...she'll only go to bed hungry once!!!!!! If she asks for somehting after dinner, offer her dinner to her and NOTHING else.

If you let her she'll have you running to the cupboard ALL day!

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies I even had DH on the phone to ask her to eat dinner lol.

Now I don't feel quite so bad about leaving her with an empty tummy! I guess she'll eat when she's hungry...

Thanks
    Reviews
    She will eat when she is hungry. Just after posting my reply my DD came and asked me for something more to eat, I re offered the lasagna and she ate the lot.

The other way we sometimes do it is "three bites without a fight", she needs to take 3 decent sized mouthfuls and if she honestly doesn't like it she can have something else (like baked beans, last nights leftovers, toast etc). I do respect that sometimes she honestly doesn't like what were having, her taste is not as mature as DH and mine, and even we have certain things we won't eat (I don't like zuccini or pumpkin. DH doesn't like creamy pasta's, and chooses not to eat meat) and its ok for her to have some things she doesn't like either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree I wouldn't have offered the second option - in our house there are 3 courses:
    1) dinner
    2) fruit
    3) 'something special' (small dessert such as a bit of chocolate, custard, or even multivitamin 'lollies' ha, ha!)
    You only get number 3 if you have eaten 1 & 2 well (and by the time you get to 3 you are pretty full anyway! Lol)

I have an almost 4yr old DD and a 19month old DS and I have found this works well for us, they are great eaters.

However I do recognize when a child just doesn't like something so will praise just trying it and it counts a little towards if they get something special or not. I also try to have some sure winner to the meal, for instance if I do a slow cooker I do I with some rice or couscous and veggies (plain not in the slow cooker sauce as DD is not a huge fan of them done like that even though she's happy to eat the meat in sauce!) she has to try pretty much everything on her plate though. Of course I never make them empty a plate (although DS does a fine job of it!) as long as a fair efforts made (afternoon snacks are eaten no shorter than 1.5yrs from dinner to make sure they are hungry!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my ds is 2.5 and has always been bad at eating dinner, we'd always wait for daddy to get home from work for dinner.

Recently i decided to follow the contented baby and toddler routine, and his dinner is on the table on or before 5pm, and i could not BELEIVE how much more he eats at dinner. Well he actually eats it. You say, "do you want dinner" "Yes PLEASE!" and i turn around and he is sitting at the table waiting!

So personally, id try to give her dinner at 4.30-5pm

oh, ive gone back to work this week, dh is in charge, dinner on the table at 5.45.... ds wouldnt touch it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww... big hugs...
    We have days like that sometimes - I can offer up to 3 things at a time, and she won't eat them!
    I'm curious, did you try tipping it on the floor and walking away???