+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you find the time/energy for "me" time? And do natural remedies work?

I always read about mum's with PND saying they go for walks or go to the gym or take time out by themselves with friends. I just never get time to do that. Almost everything I do involves the kids, except trips like going to the doctor, and if I do go out without the kids I feel guilty and don't really enjoy myself anyway.

Also, I'm too tired to go to the gym. How do you find the energy to go to the gym with all the sleep deprivation of motherhood, and the lack of motivation of depression?

I really don't want to go on prescription meds. Wondering if anyone has gone on st johns wort or other natural remedies? And did it help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Always try natural remedies first eat lots of fresh fruit and veg and I mean lots don't eat 1 or 2 strawberries for morning tea eat a whole punnet nuts etc or I'll eat half a watermelon for breakfast, get some sun vitamin D is great for energy, rest when you can, as for walks pop baby In the stroller, carrier and make yourself do them you will feel much better for it, I'm with you I cant leave my kids to goto the gym

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had to find my inner strength! I hid my depression from everyone and it was exhausting but I found forcing myself to go for a walk everyday really helped .. Somedays I'd plan on just going around the block and 2hrs later i was still out. I don't like to leave my kids either, not just for gym or me time (I dont think there's anything wrong with that tho so please don't munch my head off).

An exercise DVD when kids are sleeping ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    it seems whenever i take my dd in the stroller she screams and cries the whole time. ds was the same. so i don't understand how other mums do it. do your kids not scream? do you just walk it out with them until they stop? i really don't know how others do it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids don't scream if we are outside and they have things to look at, how old are your kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maximum, my son is almost 3yo and daughter is 8mo. Today i walked with her and she only started screaming after about 20 minutes. Then she stops crying as soon as I take her out of the stroller. She doesn't like baby carriers either. She likes to be carried in arms! Ds just likes to walk, doesn't like being restrained. He walked really early, and even before he could walk, he hated being kept in the one place.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Javic, re your question about St JW... I'll just give you my personal experience, I'm not trying to push it on you or anything. I also wanted to say to you, its really hard dealing with an 8mo that doesn't like pram or carrier, that's a lot of pressure for you, is it any wonder you are screaming out for some space!

Anyway, I have PND and i take it (good quality from a naturopath) and I feel n.o.r.m.a.l when I take it. I feel so normal that twice now (in 10 month) I have stopped taking it (cos I think I'm better) and within a week I'm in meltdown mode again.

Everything seems hard when I'm off it. I look out the kitchen window and all i see is a drab fence and weeds, and work needing to be done. When i'm taking it i look out the window and I see blue skies, green bushes, sunshine. exact same view. i find the kids much easier to manage too, I'm more creative and patient when they need to be persuaded into something. We actually even have fun together now (I thought for a long time I made a mistake being a mum)

I too tried the gym, but to get everyone organised, get there, get dressed, shower afterwards, etc etc, it all really stressed me out far more than it relaxed me. Of course I soon stopped going and it was another $400 down the drain!

I didn't want to go to the GP cos I have a fear of anti depressants, but the StJW has been fabulous, no weaning on, no weanin off and no side effects. Personally speaking, now that I'm feeling better, 'me' time just comes naturally. if you're considering trying it, find a naturopath, get enough for a fortnight, and see how you go, you can just stop taking it if you don't like it, with no side effects.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

javic  (05-10-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mrstiggywinkle... Stjw sounds like a god send! I'm going to do some research on it now! I too have a fear of anti depressants and anti biotics!, and I'm feeling pretty down at the moment with DH working all the time, Inc weekends and having to cope with the kids all by my self! Thanks for the heads up...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Getting ur little one happy in the pram .. Go at nap time ? Take some finger food snacks she can fiddle with .. New toy ? My boys used to scream in the pram, but really they screamed everywhere lol, I just got used to it or you could put ear phones in lol.

I'd let mr 3 walk along side you or a little ahead, not far because they are so damn quick lol, help him burn off some energy.