+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting Puregon any day now

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new at IVF. I guess it's not a place that I ever thought I'd be in.
    But after 3 unexplained 1st trimester miscarriages @ 7 weeks w/ D&C and 1 chem preg in a row, I'm here. I have a 5 year old child, so doctors are scratching their heads to find a reason.
    I have done all the standard miscarriage investigation tests which came back negative. Also DH's karyotpype DNA tests and sperm analysis showed nothing out of the normal range. And I've had a laparoscopy and endometrial biopsy which showed nothing out of the ordinary.
    I've had Asherman's Syndrome but had hysteroscopy to remove the scarring in October last year.
    My FS is convinced we need IVF with PGD using a short antagonist cycle.
    I chickened out of my last menstrual cycle and went on holidays instead, but now day 1 of my period is due any day now. And I'm about to collect those scary needles. And poke myself with it. Joy

I am so scared. And scared of those progesterone pessaries. Does anyone know any tips to applying them?

Any tips on how to handle life on bedrest during the 2WW while trying to push pessaries up there (TMI)?

Just any tips in general would be really appreciated.

Good luck to all of you.

Lozzie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello Lozzenator

I can relate to your story. My DS is 6 and we have been TTC no. 2 for over 3.5 years now. I had a laparoscopy, D&C and endo was removed, had other tests, DH too, and nothing out of the ordinary. We've been put in the 'unexplained infertility' category.

So sorry to hear about your 3 m/c

How exciting for you starting your first IVF cycle, it's not that scary once you get started, but yes I did feel anxious towards the lead up. I'm due to start my 3rd cycle soon, this one will be an antagonist cycle, I did 2 long cycles previously. I can't believe you went on holiday before your last AF , but hopefully you're all set to go this time.

The only tips I have is to avoid brusing from the needles, numb the area first with ice (or something from the freezer, eg peas) before inserting the needle. In regards to the progesterone, the only tip I have is to shake the tube first before using it. I used to try and lay down for a few minutes after, not sure why though .

Yes, the dreaded TWW. Unfortunately for me, AF came before the TWW was up, but in the meantime it was awful. I just tried to keep busy as best I could (very frustrating).

When my last cycle failed I was doing some research on the Internet and came across Asherman's Syndrome, I was convinced I had it, especially as I had a c/s with DS and the nurse noticed from one of the routine ultrasounds that I had fluid built up near my c/s scar. I printed off the info and showed my FS at our next appointment but he totally didn't care, so I changed FS. My new one is lovely but before she investigates Asherman's she wants me to try the antagonist cycle first. How did you find out that you had Asherman's?

Best wishes to you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, mumtochris

Thanks for sharing your story. And your experiences. I think my FS says to use pessaries..... I would hate inserting anything down there during the 2WW.

And yes I DID have Asherman's Sydnrome but nobody told me. NOT my OB and certainly not my FS. I am sure they'd want me to go for as many cycles as they can without anyone mentioning it, too. As long as they got their fee. I saw my uterus after one of my D&C's and it looked inflammed, like there were dark veins/ cracks in the cross section of the uterus. And one hallmark of Asherman's is the thinness of the uterine lining. The scars prevent the lining from regenerating. You'll see in Asherman's research that in order to have a successful implantation the lining must be at least 8mm. Next time you have a scan, ask for the sonographer to include the measurement of your endometrial lining in her report to your FS or OB.
    I ended up having to look up a separate OBGYN who is an expert in Asherman's Syndrome and he removed the scarring during hysteroscopy.

Good luck to you, too. I have heard great results from antagonist cycles, which could be better suited for younger women.
    Keep in touch and update me whenever you have the time.
    Last edited by lozzenator; 31-07-2011 at 12:37. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi lozzenator, I feel like I'm stalking you ATM . With my past 2 cycles I had to used Crinone gel during the TWW, which had to be inserted down there, wasn't too bad to use,I just had to get into a comfortable position when I had to do it.

My new FS sent me for an ultrasound a few weeks ago and I have the report here with me, which says that my endometrium lining is at 8mm thickness. If I have any more surgery then the thickness will be reduced and probably lessen my chances of either falling pregnant or holding the pregnancy, so now I'm scared to have any future surgeries with D&C .

The Dr that did the ultrasound wrote on the report that my uterine contour is mildly distorted by the caesarean scar ... but would not ordinarily be associated with infertility. I hope she's right! Was yourAsherman's Dr from Alana Healthcare for Women in Randwick? When I was doing my research a few months ago I came across this clinic, but now I'm not so sure if I need it if I go with what the sonographer said .

I hope the antagoinist cycle is the answer to my prayers , but I'm not sure what age you mean when you say it's better suited for younger women, because in fertility terms I'm no spring chicken !