+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Terrified of the vacuum cleaner!

So my 12mo DS is TERRIFIED of the vacuum cleaner, I have tried everything but he seems to be getting worst rather than better, he now won't even go through the doorway of the room if the vacuum cleaner is in there and he wakes up screaming as soon as it gets turned on!
    So, two questions - any advice on how to help him get past this?
    And in the meantime, how do I keep my floors clean, do I buy a roomba for when we are out of the house, and just spend the $$ or buy a carpet sweeper ( are they any good, I know my nan had one?!?)
    Please help, my house needs to be vacuumed....

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just persevere, I'm afraid. He will get used to it. Maybe try setting him up in a different area, with some funky nicely distracting toys, a dvd on or whatever he does really enjoy. Try to associate 'vacuum time' with 'fun time'.

My DS has always loved vacumming, thinks it is pretty cool to watch things get sucked up by it. Maybe you could try making it a fun experience for him, maybe get something you can visually show him, like beans from a bean bag or rice or something? Let him have a go and see if he can see the fun in it.

These days I can't vacuum if DS is home...he insists on taking over. So it's worth trying to get them interested in it, it'll save you a job down the line!

You could also try vacuuming when you have someone over, or when DH/DP is home, so they can distract him, or take him outside for a bit.

It's a little different, but at the same age, my DS was terrified of the noise of the garbage truck, but there was nothing I could do about it. He used to run to me screamign whenever he heard it rumble past, and I just tried to make it more interesting and fun for him - stand on the balcony and watch the truck stop at each house and pick up the bin, and talk to him about the process involved with everyone putting their rubbish out. It worked, he started to love it, and would run to the window to watch

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son will be 3 in a couple of weeks and he is still scared of the vaccum cleaner.

This morning I was vaccuming and he was telling me to stop, crying a little, and he refused to come anywhere near me.

I don't know how to help a child get over this fear, I just presume that it will happen in time and I continue to vaccum despite his fear as it needs to be done and my son has to deal with this. He usually just stays in another room and he may watch from a distance but as soon as I am done he says "no more vaccum put it away".

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dd1 hates/hated it too, she has improved. She also hated the hairdryer, blender, food processoretc etc. No problem with dh's motorbike though ??!!

Anyhoo, it wazsn't too serious so I just worked around it. Vacuum when she wasn't around, sweep if I needed to in the meantime. A couple of nights ago for the first time ever she let me blow dry her hair (still wet at bedtime).

The raising children website has some information on something called the 'stepladder approach'. Its a way of working out how to expose your child to a fear using baby steps. You work out a series of steps, each increasing the exposure. You start with the gentlest exposure (first step on the ladder), and move on to the next when they are comfortable with the first. i used it when dd1 had a bad bout of separation anxiety. So you might start off by leaving the vacuum somewhere visible but not in his immediate area, maybe in the spare room with the door open, but don't ever turn it on. Gradually bring it into his vicinity, When he's happy having it around, move it back to the first spot, and start it up while he is at the far end of the house, just for a minute, then for longer etc etc you get the picture. it took me six weeks of these type of baby steps to get dd1 over her separation anxiety, and she was jus turning 3, so I have no idea how long you would need, just go slowlyand follow his lead. that's all i got, hth

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is now two and still scared of the vacuum cleaner. He won't even go into the laundry where it's kept. Who knows why, he doesn't care about any other loud pieces of equipment. He can even be out in the backyard and sees me vacuuming and just screams at the back door. I think he thinks it may attack me or something. Good excuse not to vacuum... I might get a carpet sweeper...