+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Transitioning to cot - help

Hi all, I'm after some advice. In the last few days, DD (almost 5 months) has started resisting her day sleeps (I'm talking angry screaming and hysterical crying the minute I put her in her bassinet, which stops when I pick her up but doesn't stop when I try to pat and shh her in the bassinet). I want to transition her to sleeping in the cot in her room. Is now a really good or really bad time to try this, when her day sleeping has gone to hell anyway? Thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a question i have asked myself a few times! I tend to go with good idea, cos maybe she is getting too big for the bassinet and this is why she is getting bit cranky and it would be a pain to work on getting her settled in the bassinet and then have to unsettle her again in a month doing the transition.

You can always try for a couple of days and see how she goes!

Slightly different, but my LO was getting really cranky in the cot and then i took one side of the cot off (she is older than your bub). This made a huge difference, i think she was feeling really enclosed and having one side open made it feel less restrictive, less cage like. The cot has the open side up against our bed, so she is not going to fall out (in case you were wondering)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bubbles Her cot is in her own room (bassinet is in our bedroom) so I expect the whole thing will be a huge change for her. Maybe it will shock her back into decent sleeping habits, lol. It's so weird - last week she was self-settling, this week it's all gone to hell and none of the old tricks are working.

Further question... Should I be keeping the naptime routine as similar to the current one as possible, or changing that up too? At the moment I still wrap her (either in a muslin + wrap me up because she's a houdini, or just a wrap me up because I'll need to stop wrapping her when she starts to roll anyway). I give her a cuddle, do some bicycle legs, wrap her, then put her down and pat and shh. Will she be thoroughly confused if I change to this routine:

- read a couple of books in the lounge room
    - take her into the nursery
    - put her in sleeping bag
    - pop her in the cot
    - lights out, pat and shh or turn on the projector mobile thing, or (best case scenario) say 'sleep time now' and leave the room - lol at THAT ever happening

???? Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    im hvaing the same problem with my DD she refuses to sleep in her cot day or night wants to sleep with me and its very uncomfortable and horrible to see her so unsettled the minute i put her down in the cot she cracks it and doesnt stop until i pick her up and wont sleep in it