+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Home tips for after babies arrival!

Hi All,

Almost 38 weeks now and finishing off all household chores ready for babies arrival!
    I want to have the house SPOTLESS, and every piece of clothing wash/dryed/ironed and put away!

Also trying to organise all storage issues and 'crap piles' I have around.

Does anyone have any tips on running the household in the first month or so after baby?

My mum is cooking lots of frozen meals for us to have in the first couple weeks.
    Ill be taking advantage of woolworths online.
    We will hire a cleaner to do floors, bathrooms & kitchen.
    Also will be sending ironing out to get done.

How did you manage your visitors in the first couple weeks? I am extremely fussy with cleaning and I HATE having people over if anything is messy (so anal I know!) Did you find extended friends/family ALL wanted to come over to your house ASAP? Or did they give you space for the first couple weeks.

I stress too much... I worry about having to have all sorts of food/drink to have in the kitchen to offer people who drop by.

The couple of weeks my husband will be home I would LOVE us to be able to just relax and get to know our baby without the stress of having to clean as people keep coming over.

Any tips welcome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ooooo great thread

Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Everyone wanted to come over right away and stayed for ages , it stressed me ,

I didnt find it hard cleaning and cooking after bub as babys sleep alot !!! And i wasnt tired during the days so i just did the jobs i needed to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You sound very organised! I was like you, very organised, but one thing I would add, is write yourself a note for week 2, 6, etc, to give yourself a pep talk in case you feel a bit flat etc, this really helped me as I was hard on myself ( in terms of getting everything perfect)
    Best of luck
    And take lots of photos!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice would be to accept that things will not always be organized, ppl will pop over uninvited.
    I cope alot better when I think ahead to thing that could go wrong and when/if they don't stress so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    when you send out birth announcement ie : text etc. specify on it something about how you cant wait to introduce xzy to everyone but also need to rest so please call DH to arrange a time to visit.

then when they call ur DH get him to space out the visitors so you dont have everyone at once. and dont schedule anyone near a mealtime.

set up a tray of tea/coffee and biscuits on kitchen bench and encourage them to help themselves to a quick cuppa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just lived in 1/2 of our house. DH, myself and baby basically spent the first 6 weeks upstairs in our bedroom. We brought the TV up there, we ate with those tidy table things in bed most meals (whilst feeding a newborn on the other side), we had our laptops up there etc.

When guests came over we closed the door to the bedroom, but the rest of the house was still immaculate, we just stacked the dishwasher as we needed to, ate mainly frozen meals (most of my friends gave me meals instead of gifts and my mum delivered food to us twice a week) so minimal cooking/cleaning. We kept the laundry door closed so no one saw the washing.

When guests walked into our house the entrance hall, lounge and kitchen were all clean as they weren't used. We offered guests tea and bikkies (tim tams or something from a packet) and didn't do any meals (didn't invite anyone at meal times unless they were bring takeaway with them for us all). We had a downstairs bathroom too that we didn't use, so that was used for guests.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was kind of like you with ds1, i had a stretch and sweep on the thursday evening after work and friday morning the contractions started so i did a final massive shop (almost $500 dollars worth), and a big clean that day. early sat morning we went to hospital only to be told that i wasnt ready so we went home. that day i was so tired and still having contractions, there were towels on the floor from all the showers i was having to help ease the pain. dp would make food for me that i wouldnt eat so there were dishes, i would read books and leave them out and then sat night i went to hospital and stayed until we returned on the wednesday. wow was the house a mess, all my cleaning was for nothing. i was home all about 3 hours when people rang to say they were coming so i was vacumming and mopping before they came.

anyway my point is, just take it as it comes. try not to stress, everything will work out, things will get done, when bubs sleeping you will have plenty of time to do things. everything will be fine.

as for the food and drink just make sure you have plenty cans of cool drink (these dont go flat like the bottles) and some frozen pizza, party pies, sausage rolls etc so if you guest are there at lunch time, chuck it in the over for 20 mins and its done.

ps good luck with the labour and birth make sure you enjoy every mintue with your new little buba as it goes way too quick

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have started taking the clothes off the line and walking straight into the bedroom to hang/ fold/ sort clothes before they have time to crease. I hang all of our T'shirts too. By doing this, no ironing pile at all.... ever! It literally takes 5 mins and once you get into the habit its not a hassel at all. I have a number of friends that do the same thing and it wasn't until i told one of them about this new discovery that she admitted she was doing it too. She is the owner of a day spa/ beauty salon and a perfectionist.

Generally though I think that as mothers we need to let go of the 'perfect housewife' expectations. Our main priority is to be mothers and to look after our children. The first few days/ weeks is all about learning about becoming a mother and a family. People aren't going to come to your house to see your new baby and say "OMG I cant believe she didn't serve us high tea!". I think that a packet of biscuits is sufficient and anything more is a bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was lucky in that my mother is more anal about cleanliness than I was and made sure the house was sanitised don't be afraid to set the rules with guests. Sending out a group message about wanting time to settle in and calling before they drop by is not rude in the slightest. You sound fairly organised though! Even though it's perfectly fine to put mess aside in the early days with a newborn, I'm the sort of person who internally panics if my space gets too untidy so I know where you ate coming from OP

Insert humourous wordplay about iPhone here.